It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Experimental No More!

Tell the world your Dropfleet related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Experimental No More!

PostTue May 16, 2017 6:00 pm

So the offical rules change is now live as is the tournament package for 2017!

Biggest change from the experimental is the addition of the Voidgate changes. You can no longer Max Thrust and deploy or teleport out of a Voidgate. In addtion you can only teleport 1 token per Voidgate per turn (does not effect regular Mothership deployments) so no more stacking 10 tokens on the backfield and zooming one Voidgate up to drop them all.

Besides that the rest of the rules are basically the same as the exprimental.

Tournament package is out as well which is where the tourny changes have taken place. Biggest thing there is that ground combat still happens as normal. They have suggested all sector have a value of 1 to speed up play which while small I think is reasonable as people won't be mathing out in their head where to drop anymore since all are sectors are equal (military guns aside!). They also only use 5 missions leaving out the Erupting Battlefront, Power Grid and Defence Rely. Also the tournament points cost is confirmed to be 1250pts as the recomended number (so all Hawk events will likely be using that).

Rules Change:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/ ... 0533890972

Tourny Pack:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/ ... 0533890972

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

Re: Experimental No More!

PostTue May 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Is there a page i can point people to? I tried having a quick look around www.hawkwargames.com and couldn't spot anything.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostTue May 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Bistromatic wrote:Is there a page i can point people to? I tried having a quick look around http://www.hawkwargames.com and couldn't spot anything.

It was annouced and linked on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HawkWargames/?fref=nf

On their main site it is in the Events section: https://www.hawkwargames.com/pages/events

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

PostTue May 16, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks! Didn't think it would be on the events but not the errata page.

Kemble

PostWed May 17, 2017 2:56 am

Hawk wrote:All Sectors in all scenarios in this tournament will have a Value of 1.
This greatly simplifies scoring and speeds up games considerably in a tournament
setting.

Speed up games "considerably"? really?

I dunno, I just dont understand this one. I really enjoy the Synergy of Military getting a gun, Commercial having hull to hide a stack of troops in from bombard, and the industrial being worth double the value. It makes the ground game more interesting.

I cant see the decision making and scoring taking up more than a minute per player over a game. Now that the game is a little older I wouldnt expect so many people at tournaments having only played half a dozen games before. People would be more experienced going forward and the value of an industrial sector should not cause analysis paralysis.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed May 17, 2017 3:07 am

I agree it wont save much time but it doesnt hurt either. Its an odd one for sure, like I said before it will save a minute or two a game but I agree I wouldnt have made that change and claim it speeds games up much. Seems like they wanted to do something but not sure what and since we all hated eliminating ground combat they went this way instead for now.

Nobody

PostWed May 17, 2017 5:47 am

Huh, unless I'm missing it the experimental rule involving ground combat did not make it in. Interesting.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed May 17, 2017 7:09 am

Nobody wrote:Huh, unless I'm missing it the experimental rule involving ground combat did not make it in. Interesting.

No, you're not mistaken, they left it out of the Tournament Pack, except for the optional "All Sectors are only 1 point" for scoring Clusters. I gues the collective "we" made such a racket about it that they pared it way down.... I still like the Pendulum rules for Ground Combat, but then again I like to play 1,500 point tournaments, and you really need that time savings at that level. At 1,250 I'd just opt for regular rules for Ground Combat. (And at 1,500 in casual, league and campaign games, time permitting...)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Sobek

PostWed May 17, 2017 2:03 pm

It's kind of annoying that they're not keeping a single consolidated errata, and instead making several different errata documents and keeping them each in separate places.

Hawk Liam

PostWed May 17, 2017 4:21 pm

We will combine these documents in future as well as any other Errata's. We just knew it was important to get them out as soon as possible ready for some upcoming Tournaments.
Next

Return to General Discussion