It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:58 am

Launch Chaff Interaction

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Gavri3l

Launch Chaff Interaction

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 10:58 pm

QQ. Launch chaff states that it doesn't apply to energy spikes or "effects that modify your signature."

Shaltari ships are presented with two base signatures, one for shields up and one for shields down. The Shields rule states that ships that raise shields "Now use the larger signature value in their profile." It doesn't say that the base signature is being increased, but rather replaced.

So does Launch chaff work on ships with their shields up? What defines the lower signature value as the "base" signature and the higher one as a "modified" signature?

Kelbesq

Re: Launch Chaff Interaction

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 11:17 pm

I believe this was discussed elsewhere (the facebook group maybe?) and the consensus was that when you have shields up, you base changes to the alternate value, and that alternate value gets reduced to 0 under the effects of this card.

Kelbesq

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 12:38 am

Here was the post:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1194688 ... Y2hhZmY%3D

Not really conclusive, but certainly leaning towards the idea that both the shields down and shields up numbers are the "base signature"

Gavri3l

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 3:53 am

Can anyone speak as to how it was played at UKGE? That would be about as good as an official answer.

Major Awesome

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 4:03 pm

What would be the point if it didn't work when shields were up? Removing 2-3" of sig isn't very useful
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.

Eddieddi

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 3:43 am

Major Awesome wrote:What would be the point if it didn't work when shields were up? Removing 2-3" of sig isn't very useful

exactly my point. If it didn't I'd honestly love to swap it for a card that let you PD through shields once in a single turn.

Gavri3l

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Hawk tends to make decisions more based on how things fit thematically than how useful they are. It doesn't make sense that the rarer card in the deck, advanced picket ships, has almost the same effect, but only puts you at your lower signature and only works on L tonnage ships.

Though I did play two games last weekend under the assumption that the card had no effect on a vessel with shields raised and I actually played the card in both games. In one it left a new cairo pair just short of being able to target a mothership and in the other it kept a pack of harpy's from targeting my diamond through a fine debris field, so it' s not useless.

Kelbesq

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Launch Chaff applies to a single ship, while Advanced Picket Ships applies to a whole group. Advanced Picket Ships explicitly only effects ships that raised shields on, and has no effect on ships with shields down. And as mentioned, only effects L a tonnage group. It's a more specific card, but it also has a bigger benefit. Advanced Picket Ships gives the Shaltari an additional way to modify their signature. Given that you chance of getting any specific card in a single game is pretty low, having two cards that do similar things is a big boon.

I'm still of the opinion that Launch Chaff applies the the shield signature value. Going shields up isn't a +13" to a cruiser, it's a flat 16" signature, and as such isn't a modifier.

Return to Rules Queries