It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Ground combat initiative doubt .

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Dmolpas

Ground combat initiative doubt .

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi , i am just new to this game and reading the rulebook there is something i found unusual :
(pg 58) Ground assets activation : The first player to make movements of Ground assets is ALWAYS the one who have LOST initiative ? is this correct ? That gives the loser the chance to pin the winner troops or even get VP for sectors which are not contested .
I have read it several times and i dont find anything that makes worth win the initiative in this phase of the game
Can someone enlight me ?

thank you !
Last edited by Dmolpas on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelbesq

Re: Ground combat initiative doubt .

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Your reading is correct. The loser goes first.

It's debatable to the value of going first vs second. There are some advantages to both. Launching bombers/fighters first gives away your plans, and you opponent can react. The player to launch ground assets second gets to see where the other player placed their's. This one is a pretty big with regards to scoring as it can easily mean you can hold an empty sector. But, as you mentioned, moving first can pin enemy troops.

Some folks have suggested that the winner should be allow to choose to go first or second.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 6:49 am

Kelbesq wrote:Some folks have suggested that the winner should be allow to choose to go first or second.

This is what is in the current Errata, I believe... not sure if it's the January Errata or the May Errata, but that's how we're playing it locally...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Shikatanai

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 4:12 pm

I don't think there was a change in the Errata...?!
Also remember that it only counts per cluster as the initiative switches after the looser choose one cluster to move first!
I think a good change would be that the looser goes first, moves everything in that cluster while the opposing forces are not bound by troops that are changing position for that turn and the reacting player can then move his forces as reaction. That way you always have a disadvantage when loosing initiative.

Gavri3l

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 3:51 pm

This is not referenced at all in the official errata (either new or old). Perhaps that was something tested that didn't make it to publication?

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 4:54 am

Gavri3l wrote:This is not referenced at all in the official errata (either new or old). Perhaps that was something tested that didn't make it to publication?

Maybe it was a "Dave said..." from somewhere. Dunno, but it works well, and is consistent with Dropzone... I guess it's a Phoenix House Rule, then...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Shikatanai

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 3:56 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:
Gavri3l wrote:This is not referenced at all in the official errata (either new or old). Perhaps that was something tested that didn't make it to publication?

Maybe it was a "Dave said..." from somewhere. Dunno, but it works well, and is consistent with Dropzone... I guess it's a Phoenix House Rule, then...

Would be great to include it in the new combined errata :)

Hawk Liam

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Shikatanai wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:

Would be great to include it in the new combined errata :)

We will be doing :)

Return to Rules Queries