It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:40 am

Command card stacking

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Shunter

Command card stacking

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 10:57 am

I understand the rules about stacking [now ive read the errata which explains it more completely]

However, just one query.

If i play a card that targets a ship. And my opponent plays an espionage card to cancel it.

Can i then play another card on that ship? I.e. is the previous attempt ignored

swampsheep

Re: Command card stacking

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 11:04 am

I haven't seen a clear ruling of this anywhere. RAW (in the errata) seems to indicate, that this is not possible (you could argue that the ship / group is targeted even if the card is annulled by the Espionage card).

However, RAI seems to be, that you want to prevent/limit people from stacking effects from multiple cards to create something with too strong a synergy. Seen from that perspective you should be allowed to target a group again if the first card was espionaged.

In short; I would allow it.
http://linkedbroadsides.com - My blog with analysis, tactics and thoughts about dropfleet. Updates Mondays and Thursdays.

Shunter

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 11:09 am

That was exactly how i was reading it. But as you my opinion on rai is also how i thought it should be played in my head

LiamK

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 11:54 am

You cannot play another card on a ship even if the first card you played was cancelled by an espionage.

"Espionage
Effect: You may negate the effects of this Enemy Command Card."

This only negates the effect of the enemies card. The card that you originally played is still technically in effect, but the effects of the card are negated.

Shunter

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 12:18 pm

Clear as day when you read the words, lol. Cheers Liam.

It would help if I owned the cards, still waiting for them. I was going by others telling me about the cards and a practise run using someone elses.

will

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 1:38 pm

I had a question about command card stacking as well. The FAQ is a bit confusing, can you stack battlegroup cards and fleet cards? ie can I play two cards that target battlegroups on the same battle group or play two cards that target the entire fleet.

in the answer part of the faq it states
Ships may be affected by battlegroup, fleet wide or ‘area’ affects several times per turn
as they are not specifically targeted at that ship or group, meaning they can stack with
specifically targeted cards on individual ships or groups

which suggests to me that you can play multiple cards that target battlegroups (or fleetwide)

but just after it says
More specifically:
Command cards may not be stacked ship on ship, group on group, or any combination of
these. They may also not be stacked or battlegroup on battlegroup(sic), but may otherwise be
stacked.

which tells you (kind of) you cant stack battlegroup targeting cards but doesnt mention fleetwide cards (although seems to be a typo)

and in the example part it states
If you play a command card on a battlegroup, you may not play another command card
that targets that battlegroup this turn. However, you may play command cards that target
specific ships or groups in that battlegroup (applying the above restrictions about stacking
command cards on ships and groups).
If you play a command card that targets the entire fleet, you may not play another
command card that targets the entire fleet this turn.

which tells you that you cant stack fleetwide with fleetwide or battlegroup with battlegroup cards.

which bit of the faq do we go by, I'm guessing the example is the correct part? its been causing some confusion in my group, not helped by the example part of the question being on a different page to the answer part in the pdf leading to different interpretations when quickly searching for the answer mid-game.

LiamK

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 8:34 am

So basically, certain command cards MAY affect ships in an entire battlegroup or group at the same time. So for example with UCM.

I could play Mass Driver Volley, which affects "all ships in a Battlgroup". For example, we'll say 2 Moscows.

Then I could play Orbital Targeting Matrix which affects "one Friendly Group" in a Battlegroup. Which I can target the Moscows with as previously the Moscows were only affect by a card which stated whole Battlegroup

Then I could play Re-Calibrated Targeting which "affects One ship" so I simply pick one of the Moscows to use it on.

But what you cannot do is play Ships of the Reconquest on the 2 Moscows Battlegroup, if you have previously played Super Numbers on the Moscows Battlegroup as both cards the Target is "One Friendly Battlegroup"

Shunter

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm

So if I understand right

A ship can only be affected by one card that targets a ship, but can also get benefits from something that targets a group,
a battlegroup and also fleet wide.

A group can only be affected by one card that targets a group, but can also be affected by a card targeting it's battlegroup and also a card that's effects are fleetwide.

A battlegroup can only be affected by one card that targets a battlegroup, but can also be affected by something that's effects are fleetwide.

Is that summary accurate?

LiamK

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 8:59 am

Shunter wrote:So if I understand right

A ship can only be affected by one card that targets a ship, but can also get benefits from something that targets a group,
a battlegroup and also fleet wide.

A group can only be affected by one card that targets a group, but can also be affected by a card targeting it's battlegroup and also a card that's effects are fleetwide.

A battlegroup can only be affected by one card that targets a battlegroup, but can also be affected by something that's effects are fleetwide.

Is that summary accurate?

Correct ;)

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 11:09 am

That should get in the FAQ as the rulebook only specifies groups. See page 72 "Targets".

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017
Next

Return to Rules Queries