It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:04 am

Clarification on Rare requested

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

midas

Clarification on Rare requested

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 2:14 am

Some ships have this special rule, the book says on P.66:
"... You may only take a maximum of one of each Rare Group in a Skirmish sized game, two in a Clash and three in a Battle (see P. 73)."

Looking at the (Light) UCM Lima and a Clash (1000 Pts) with 1 Vanguard ; 1 Line and 2 Pathfinder battlegroups.
a) does the sentence above mean I can have 2 groups (e.g. the Pathfinders), each with up to 3 Limas for a total of 6 ships ?
Or
b) up to 2 Limas, spread out between any of the battle groups as I see fit (providing other rules are fulfilled)?

Assuming a second Ship with the "Rare" rule, called Owl (Medium) for discussion sake, does the restriction apply to to the overall combined number of rares or by rare ship class?
Meaning, I can have
a1) 3 Limas, 1 Owl in each Pathfinder (possibly 8 total rares)
a2) 2 groups: 3 Limas in one Pathfinder, 1 (3 if in the Line BG) Owl in any of the other groups, BUT NOT in the same group as the Limas

b1) 2 Limas, 2 Owls maximum each, spread out as I see fit
b2) up to 2 rares combined, so either 1/1 2/0 0/2 Lima/Owl, spread out as I see fit

Which one is it?

Lordprinceps

Re: Clarification on Rare requested

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 2:37 am

There are four levels of organization in a fleet list, starting from widest to narrowest.

Fleet
Battlegroup
Group
Ship

Groups are made specifically of a single class of ship, and the size of these groups is denoted in the stat block on that ship's profile. The "Rare" rule applies specifically to these groups, meaning you can only take a certain number of those groups.

For example, in a Clash, I could only take a maximum of four Limas; two Limas in two groups.
However, I could not take three Limas spread about in three groups, since there can only be up to two seperate Lima groups in a Clash sized game.

However, the Rare rule is unique to every type of ship that has it. So, for example, I could take two Perth groups and two Lima groups in a Clash sized game.

midas

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 2:53 am

It seems I am missing something...
"Groups are made specifically of a single class of ship." I am very sure I see mixed classes in groups.

Lordprinceps

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 3:01 am

Battlegroups are comprised of multiple groups, with each group having a single type of ship in it.
Battlegroups are different than groups (which is confusing terminology, I know; I much prefer the terms "battlegroups" and "squadrons", but oh well)

For instance, a Line battlegroup has a group of three New Cairos and two groups of two Limas each.
The entire battlegroup has three New Cairos and four Limas, but they're spread into three groups, with each group having one type of ship and a certain number of them, as proscribed by the "G(roup)" stat on a ship's stat block.

midas

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 9:31 pm

ok, so in conclusion, talking about the G(1-2) Lima in a Clash game, I can have up to 2 Lima groups (from Clash) with a maximum of 2 in each group (from the G1-2), for a total of 4 models.

what if I want to mix in the Perth into the fleet list, still talking about a Clash?
do Rares combine? meaning:
a) group combinations of either 2 Lima/0 Perth , 1 Lima/1 Perth or 0 Lima/2 Perth
or
b) however many groups of Lima and/or Perth, but never more than 2 of each

_ghost_

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:15 pm

2 Groups of Perth
2 Groups of Lima.

Meaning a Max of 4 Lima and 2 Perth is possible in a clash game.

U could also add a third kind of rare ship.. or 100...
As long as there are only one-two groups of each one while building ur list u are save. ( regarding the rare rule and ignoring point cost for that question here)

Lordprinceps

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 12:45 am

Like _Ghost_ said, each individual type of Rare ship is "independent".

This means, for the UCM in a clash game, you could potentially squeeze the following in.

Two groups of two Limas (four total)
Two groups of two Centurions (four total)
Two groups of Saint Petes (two total)
Two groups of Perths (two total)

Return to Rules Queries