It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 pm

PHR medium caliber

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: PHR medium caliber

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Stranger wrote:
Lorn wrote:They would be no brainers if there would be a "Caliber (M)" rule. Though I agree that from a fluff perspective it is slightly odd.

But the rulebook says there is a caliber (M)? That was why I asked :)

Future-proofing. It's possible for there to be a Caliber(M) weapon, doesn't mean a Medium Caliber Bank has to be it. ;)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Stranger

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 10:39 pm

I know that, in hindsight :D

I was just wondering, since "light caliber" panels had the rule against lights, and heavy against heavy, it felt weird :mrgreen:

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Stranger wrote:I know that, in hindsight :D

I was just wondering, since "light caliber" panels had the rule against lights, and heavy against heavy, it felt weird :mrgreen:

It is a bit weird, but I can understand it. I think that if the PHR Medium Broadsides had the Caliber(M) special rule they'd be a bit OP, so those ships that had them would need to go up in points to compensate, and PHR ships are already expensive...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Wenner69

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 1:07 am

Or they could be 5+ lock with caliber m. But I rather see them as the all rounders they are
Blessed by the white sphere

BlackLegion

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 1:15 am

Actually they are Caliber (A). It is a typo in the rulebook. They should have lock 5+ and if they are shooting against any ship which is not in atmosphere they get +1 lock :D

Gonefishing

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:35 pm

I have to admit I made the same assumption that it was a typo - thanks for the heads up, will revisit my planned build list :)

Lyraeus

Hawk Talon

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 4:53 pm

You would think weapons that shoot so many shots would have Fusillade but they don't.
Remember to check my Blog out at http://thehotlz.blogspot.com/

If you are on Facebook check out my Page https://www.facebook.com/thehotlz/ where I post all my articles videos, and do contests and events!

badgerclaw171

PostMon Dec 05, 2016 3:01 pm

PHR ships are expensive because of caliber and most ships are going to be medium size.
they only get to shot broadside not side and front like all the others every so i think they should get medium caliber its in the name just like light & heavy. and by the way with out it its go to be hard to get crit on medium caliber. inpossuible with light caliber on any thing else then a light. and only 6s on a medium caliber on medium. thats why the PHR ships are so expensive just for that bonus.

if you follow the pattern
light caliber 5+ (light 4+)
heavy caliber 3+ ( heavy +2)
then medium caliber 4+ (medium 3+)

all Scourge ship get Scald
all shaltari get shields
UCM get kickass burnthrough

DarkNite

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:53 am

We need a ruling from Hawk on this. I agree with badgerclaw171 on this. Why would the PHR create a ship to tackle Heavy ships and those that deal with Ligh ships but not create anything to deal with Medium ships. Also, his (badgerclaw171) logic with the to lock makes a lot of sense.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 5:54 pm

With the new changes that have come out in the months since this was last talked about I don't think there is any need to change anything.

Basic math has the PHR 8 shot broadside already doing more damage than 4 shots of Lock 3+. Make them even more devestating and you'd need to up the points. The issue isn't so much the raw damage but being able to use them effectively. By giving many ships the double broadside without needing weapons free it is far more likely that those double broadsides will actually happen (I've seen a couple already and have only faced PHR a few times since the change).
PreviousNext

Return to Rules Queries