It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 pm


Escort Fighters?

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Blipvert

  • Posts: 587
  • Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 am

Escort Fighters?

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 10:18 am

Page 62, third column, under the chart showing fighter thrust values.

Quote:
Enemy Ships: Remove one enemy fighter token from the ship (they keep each other occupied in dogfighting!) This may only be done when resolving launch asset effects (during the roundup phase) just before bombers take effect.

Sounds like escort fighters to me. In other words, I send fighters with my bombers to counter enemy fighters defending an enemy ship.

Sounds like a straight one to one counter; one counters one, two counters two and so on.
Offline
User avatar

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:27 pm
  • Location: Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Re: Escort Fighters?

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 4:32 pm

That is correct. They aren't really "escorting" in any connected sense but the end effect is the same. When your fighters go to an enemy ship they remove a fighter token on a one for one basis and it is clarified that this happens before bombers attack so the enemy losses their fighters before getting to add them to PD.
Offline

Berjiz

  • Posts: 54
  • Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:49 am

Re: Escort Fighters?

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 12:23 am

A related question, what happens if you put the fighters further away than 1 thrust range? For 1-2 times thrust range takes effect next turn but fighters are removed the turn they are placed. Does that mean fighters can't be used above 1 thrust range?
Offline
User avatar

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:27 pm
  • Location: Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Re: Escort Fighters?

PostTue Jan 03, 2017 1:07 am

The same thing exactly as if you put them within thrust range. There is basically no difference between thrust and x2 thrust for fighters.

See last sentence of section Fighters before Friendly Units on pg 62.
Offline

TheHeritor

  • Posts: 87
  • Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:48 pm

Re: Escort Fighters?

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Basically the 'time-to-target' rules for 2x thrust only apply to Bombers and Torpedoes - Dropships and Bulk Landers can't use double thrust and Fighters are too swift for it to matter.
Offline

Attackmack

  • Posts: 97
  • Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Escort Fighters?

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Unused defensive fighters are said to be removed in the following roundup phase.
According to the rules, excess tokens are removed at the final step of the roundup phase.

Am I supposed to remove unused fighters at the beginning of the roundup phase or at the "remove excess tokens" step?
Offline
User avatar

NeonWolf

  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:26 pm
  • Location: Pueblo, CO US

Re: Escort Fighters?

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Attackmack wrote:Unused defensive fighters are said to be removed in the following roundup phase.
According to the rules, excess tokens are removed at the final step of the roundup phase.

Am I supposed to remove unused fighters at the beginning of the roundup phase or at the "remove excess tokens" step?


+1

I'm a little fuzzy on the timing of fighters myself
Offline
User avatar

BlackLegion

  • Posts: 728
  • Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:33 pm
  • Location: Leipzig, Germany

Re: Escort Fighters?

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 5:12 pm

It's "remove excess dice and tokens" at the end of the Roundup Phase. Which just means you should remove dice and tokens which don't have relevance anymore. Unused Fighter still remain where they belong to.
Offline

Attackmack

  • Posts: 97
  • Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Escort Fighters?

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 12:42 am

BlackLegion wrote:It's "remove excess dice and tokens" at the end of the Roundup Phase. Which just means you should remove dice and tokens which don't have relevance anymore. Unused Fighter still remain where they belong to.


So...when exactly is unused fighters removed?
Offline

Eddieddi

  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:55 am

Re: Escort Fighters?

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 3:51 am

Attackmack wrote:
BlackLegion wrote:It's "remove excess dice and tokens" at the end of the Roundup Phase. Which just means you should remove dice and tokens which don't have relevance anymore. Unused Fighter still remain where they belong to.


So...when exactly is unused fighters removed?



That honestly depends, In the rule book it states once that you remove them at 'remove excess dice and tokens' another area states 'fighters are only removed when used for PD or countered by enemy fighters' We've played it both ways and honestly playing either way is fine, it just requires a change in strategy.
Next

Return to Rules Queries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron