It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Collected FAQ/Errata Round 2

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Collected FAQ/Errata Round 2

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 3:00 pm

So with the lovely new FAQ/Errata out we have had answers to a lot of our questions! There are still a few items that are not clear so with that I will post my WIP revised Collected FAQ/Errata list!

This one is much smaller and I have removed a bunch of "obvious" questions from the last one based on how Hawk seems to be answering things (basically the obvious answer has always been correct so far). If you feel something from the old one should be brought back let me know! Again there are a couple where Hawk has mentioned an intention for a rule to someone at an event but they didn't include it in the released FAQ so I kept it in with the answers in "bold".

Well here we go:

Game Turn Sequence:

Orders:
What happens if a ship on Silent Running is given a spike by a source other than 'Blazing Wreck'? Will it simply be the same as Blazing Wreck (remove Silent Running with no extra spike)?

Spikes:

Ramming:

Can you ran a ship in atmosphere? Can it be done even if you are not atmospheric? "Dave at LVO stated yes you could hitting on a 6+"

Firing:

Can you fire at your own ships to destroy them (or if you are Shaltari push a ship 45 degrees)? To follow up on that are you allowed to target neutral Space Stations or only ones occupied by the enemy? What about contested Space Stations?

Crippling Damage:
Does a crippling weapon trigger Beast (or any other crippling effect i.e. losing Stealth) or is that just apply to 50% health crippling? Can a ship hit with a crippling weapon still use the Regenerate rule if it is still above 50% hull?
“For all the above crippling questions Hawk has mention in the FAQ that a ships is only ‘Crippled’ once and that occurs when it reaches 50% hull points, crippling damage is not the same as being crippled.”

Damage Control:

Orbital Combat:
When in atmosphere is the 2" movement a cap or is it the new value for a ship as long as it is in atmosphere? So for example can I Max Thrust and go 4"? "Dave at LVO stated that the max ever possible in atmosphere is 2" "

Orbital Debris:
Do Planetary Rings effect Launch Assets? As written they do not. "Dave at LVO stated they do count as debris fields as far as launch assets are concerned. However he did not state which type of field (they do damage as Dense now and effect Lock as Fine) nor what will happen if the target/launcher are in different layers from the ring."

If a ship starts is move in a debris field and uses Station Keeping to hold position and it neither turns nor moves forward at all, will it be hit by debris during its activation?

Space Stations:
What happens if you attack a Space Station with bombers at x2 Thrust range? Since Space Stations don't activate there are no rules to handle a long range bomber attack as written.

How much are stations like ships? To clarify does Ageis or other similar rules or command cards effect them the same as a friendly ship?

Can you fire on a station with friendly ground assets on board? Do ground assets take collateral damage when a Space Station takes damage and what happens if a station takes damage while there are more than one sides tokens on board?

Ground Combat:
Do you fire Defence Weapons and Orbital Guns in initiative order? Since they are used at the beginning of Ground Combat Step the iniative order has not yet been determined.

Launch Assets:
It is all but confirmed that Bulk Landers and Dropships are the targets of Defence Batteries based on all other edvidence. However Pg57 makes it sound like you are actually targetting Ground Assets. "Andy Chambers agrees that it is worded poorly and should have clearly stated you target the Bulk Lander/Dropship"

Ship Special Rules:
What happens if a ship with Stealth on Silent Running uses launch assets? Does it gain a spike or do you just remove the Silent Running? (not a current issues but for future proofing)

Weapon Special Rules:
Air-to-Air, if a weapon has this rule and is a close action weapon may it be fired from atmosphere into low/high orbit or vice versa and if so what will its lock value be? "Dave at LVO stated that air-to-air close action weapons cannot fire from atmosphere into other layers"

How does the timing for a flash weapon work when it comes to crippling damage and a cloaked ship? If a Flash weapon does 3 damage to a ship with Full Cloak and cripples it in the process how many spikes will it have? Possibilities are 0 as the cripple takes place after the weapon effects, 1 as the Flash spike from Hitting the ship does not count as the crippling damage has not been done yet but the spike for 3 damage happened after or 2 as the effects of Flash are in addition to all other effects which include the crippling.

For a Crippling weapon does the Critical Hit have to inflict damage to trigger the Crippling Roll or will any damage from the attack trigger it? For example a Minos has one hit and one critical hit with the Neutron Missiles where the target stops both critical hits with point defence but fails their armour save on the normal hits, will they take a crippling roll?

Fleet Organization:

Scenarios:
When entering the board from off table do ships need to be strait forward or can they come in at an angle (so can I come on at 89 degrees from the edge and active scan) and do they need to be in Battlegroup Cohesion? "Dave at LVO stated you can enter at any angle but must end movement in cohesion"

Do you only every control sectors after turn 4? Pg 74 suggests the only way to hold a sector is to have the most tokens on a scoring turn. This would mean Defence Guns and similar things would only work from turn 4 onwards.

UCM:

Scourge:

PHR:
Is the Perseus supposed to be the only cruiser with G 1 and is the Theseus supposed to be PD 2 (less than a frigate)?

Shaltari:

Does Charged Air work as a Defence Battery on a Cluster within 6" if the Voidgate is not in Atmosphere? "The FAQ wording suggests that it is required to be in Atmosphere to work (banning its use on Space Stations in Low Orbit) but does not explictly state that"

When do you declare you are using Shield Booster? Is it after dice are allocated or after the Passive Saves have already been rolled or something else? "Dave at LVO stated it is after dice are allocated but before they are rolled"

Is the one per turn limit on Shield Booster for the ship getting the boost or providing it? For example if I have 2 Emerald and 1 Opal all within 4" of each other can I boost 1 Emerald against against one attack or may I boost each Emerald once? If a second Opal joined that group would I then be able to boost one Emerald twice or would I just be able to boost both Emeralds once regardless of how many Opals swing by? "Dave at LVO stated the limit per turn is for the Opal not the target friendly ship (so in my examples above first one is Emerald gets boost only, second example 1 Emerald could get boosted twice or once for each)."

Command Cards:
Do you get the AV1 and single Command Card if you have not purchased an Admiral for your fleet? As written the answer is no, however those of us with a Dropzone Commander background are used to the lack of Commader providing CV1 and thus 1 Command Card even if we did not pick one in our army.
Last edited by Cry of the Wind on Thu May 18, 2017 12:33 am, edited 29 times in total.

Lordprinceps

Re: Collected FAQ/Errata Round 2

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Adding on to the UCM real quick; I don't know if Hawk has confirmed whether or not the New York is supposed to have Shark CAW rather than Swordfish CAW.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 5:13 pm

Pretty sure that is intentional as the San Fran also doesn't have the same CAW as its class. I can toss it in and see if they care to answer though.

Gavri3l

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 7:21 pm

I thought Dave mentioned in one of the BOW videos that you can put an Admiral anywhere, but you are just going to want him in a ship that is more durable. Don't have a specific reference for that though.

Pretty sure it is intentional that the Theseus has only 2 PD, as both the Scourge and UCM light cruisers actually have less PD than their standard frigates. Light cruisers outside of Shaltari just don't do PD it seems.

As for the Perseus' G of 1, I think that was intentional as well, as it jives with the precedent set by the Athena in DzC of PHR having some options that are a bit stronger than other faction equivalents but being fielded solo.

Edited to add: I think the question of whether multiple Opals can affect the same ship with Shield booster is still open as well.

Gavri3l

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 7:27 pm

Does the Charged Air and Gate Deployment from Voidgates always function or will it turn off if special orders are given that would prevent shooting or any other similar effect? Using Max Thrust Voidgates can currently cover over half the table and still deploy turn 2.

I'd like to know how this is happening seeing as the voidgates need to descend two orbital layers to deploy to clusters and you can't change layers while max thrusting. I guess you can do it with space stations, but couldn't anyone? (max thrust turn one, standard order turn two descend and deploy)

And since charged air is a weapon system, why would it ignore the max thrust restriction against shooting?

Dheran

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Gavri3l wrote:
Does the Charged Air and Gate Deployment from Voidgates always function or will it turn off if special orders are given that would prevent shooting or any other similar effect? Using Max Thrust Voidgates can currently cover over half the table and still deploy turn 2.

I'd like to know how this is happening seeing as the voidgates need to descend two orbital layers to deploy to clusters and you can't change layers while max thrusting. I guess you can do it with space stations, but couldn't anyone? (max thrust turn one, standard order turn two descend and deploy)

And since charged air is a weapon system, why would it ignore the max thrust restriction against shooting?

I thought so too, but the rule states you cannot change layers if the special order prevents you from turning. Max thrust does not, therefore you can change the layers.

Edit: don't know what the problem is though - it is not like other strike carriers are much more slower than a gate.
Last edited by Dheran on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Why can you not change layers while Max Thrusting? All you need to change layers is the ability to turn which you can do under max thrust.

Charged Air as a defence battery is not a weapon just a natural state of being a Voidgate per pg 197.

Lordprinceps

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Gavri3l wrote:Pretty sure it is intentional that the Theseus has only 2 PD, as both the Scourge and UCM light cruisers actually have less PD than their standard frigates. Light cruisers outside of Shaltari just don't do PD it seems.

UCM light cruisers actually have the same PD as their cruisers and heavy cruisers; it's just the scourge and PHR which have horrible light cruiser PD.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Hey its worth asking if nothing else. Text here doesn't cost us anything and if they meant something else or change their minds maybe we can thank threads like this!

Neiloid

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 9:17 pm

Since the first errata stated that stealth ships can launched assets while in silent running, I would like clarification on if it at least removes silent running, restoring them to normal signature.

Also if there is a card like Assisted Targeting in the command decks then how does that interact with burnthrough, will you only reroll once or will you get to reroll during each round of damage for that weapon?

On a realated note, can normal hits be rerolled in the hope of scoring a crit?
Next

Return to Rules Queries