It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 7:56 am

Collected FAQ/Errata Round 2

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Re: Collected FAQ/Errata Round 2

PostThu May 18, 2017 12:37 am

Happy days I was able to remove some Shaltari question from the main list!

In exchange I have added a question that while I agree is clear in the rules/faq as printed might be something that needs to be brought to the attention of many Dropzone Commanders who are now Admirals of a Dropfleet, especially since Command Cards are hitting some tables now.

As it stands if you do not pick an Admiral you do not get AV1 and thus do not draw a single Command Card. All the mentions of AV1 are related to the purchased Admiral being dead or not deployed yet and never mention the fleet having a natural AV1. This is different from Dropzone Commander where it is explictly stated that you always have a CV of 1 even if no Commander has been purchased.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 1:20 am

Cry of the Wind wrote:Happy days I was able to remove some Shaltari question from the main list!

In exchange I have added a question that while I agree is clear in the rules/faq as printed might be something that needs to be brought to the attention of many Dropzone Commanders who are now Admirals of a Dropfleet, especially since Command Cards are hitting some tables now.

As it stands if you do not pick an Admiral you do not get AV1 and thus do not draw a single Command Card. All the mentions of AV1 are related to the purchased Admiral being dead or not deployed yet and never mention the fleet having a natural AV1. This is different from Dropzone Commander where it is explictly stated that you always have a CV of 1 even if no Commander has been purchased.

Oh, for Pete's sake...

--> When your Admiral dies, the state that you are in = No Admiral.
    --> If you did not purchase an Admiral, the state that you are in = No Admiral.

Having previously purchased an Admiral has no effect on your state in the case of my first statement. You still no longer have an Admiral. Switching the order of the above statements around has no effect on your end state.

--> Therefore, being in a state of having No Admiral = AV1.

:roll:
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 3:12 am

J.D. Welch I would love to see a page reference and rules quote to support that idea. Until you provide one I cannot agree that no Admiral chosen = AV1. I feel this is an attempt by Hawk to ensure we do take Admirals for our fleets and is in the spirit of the rules as well as what is written.

You can agree to disagree but for now I'm firmly in the camp that if Hawk wanted no Admrial chosen to be AV 1 they should have said so just like they did in DZC.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 5:39 am

Cry of the Wind wrote:J.D. Welch I would love to see a page reference and rules quote to support that idea. Until you provide one I cannot agree that no Admiral chosen = AV1. I feel this is an attempt by Hawk to ensure we do take Admirals for our fleets and is in the spirit of the rules as well as what is written.

You can agree to disagree but for now I'm firmly in the camp that if Hawk wanted no Admrial chosen to be AV 1 they should have said so just like they did in DZC.

Conversely, I believe that if they had intended you to have AV0 if you did not purchase an Admiral, they would have specified that.

I stand by my theorem. It holds up, makes sense, and is consistent with existing Hawk "doctrine" concerning "commanders".

But I'm also not going to Calgary anytime soon, so, personally, it doesn't make a difference to me. LOL...

(And, please, just call me J.D. No need to use my full name. ;) )
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 6:23 am

Well well there are 3 ways of looking at rules from games like this:

RAR ( real world rule ), this is the lowest argument people believe in
RAI, you use other aspects and rules to argue on the missing rule, this works for most of us

Than there is the Golden Egg
RAW, a game is a law so only the word i can read counts anything

So if you get a Problem with RAW most times the not written missing part you can argue with RAR and RAI this helps to get the game back to fun, maybe with a Housrule or a Dice but it will work till RAW gets a update

Well than there are so big Issues with RAW.... for example Leonidas L- R broadside profiles...
Its Hard even if the RAR ( WYSIWYG on the Model ) and the RAI ( every other Ship has its weapons mirrored )
Well even than some or even most of the Players stick to the RAW part, strange it is but thats the Way to go! ;-)

Now in 99% its proffen that a Rule which does RAR and RAI to 100% correct gets a Errata which makes the RAW fit to this correctly

Well in my eyes (not counting the DZC example) the Auto include of a AV1 Commander to Dropfleet is 100% RAR and 100% RAI...

Sit back relax and wait for the RAW to confirme all that we know already

Now go and punch me ;-}
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 6:49 am

No punch needed, sir.

To be clear, the "default" AV1 for no Admiral present is in regards to command cards, not any addition to a dice roll.

At least, that's what I think we're discussing here... ;)

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 6:58 am

J.D. Welch wrote:No punch needed, sir.

To be clear, the "default" AV1 for no Admiral present is in regards to command cards, not any addition to a dice roll.

Correct, to prof this both players Hold a AV1 if none both any Commanders!

And a AV1 can not be upgraded: RAR\Fluff in a Battleship no AV3 can serve, because his Rank is to Low! ^^ and RAI AV1 is no Commander and not on the List oft the Assets & Admirals!
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 7:11 am

dread2005 wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:No punch needed, sir.

Correct, to prof this both players Hold a AV1 if none both any Commanders!

And a AV1 can not be upgraded: RAR\Fluff in a Battleship no AV3 can serve, because his Rank is to Low! ^^ and RAI AV1 is no Commander and not on the List oft the Assets & Admirals!

Right. Good one.

shuul

PostThu May 18, 2017 10:28 am

There is no a single word in the rulebook that you receive AV1 at anytime, the only time it is mentioned is in following sentence:

"If your admiral is killed, the player may use AV of 1 and must immediately discard command cards of their choice down to 1"

Can you show me how can I get AV1 without previously owning and admiral?
What you think is correct doesn't means that it is correct.
This needs to be FAQed.

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 10:34 am

That the section specified the admiral being killed threw me for a loop too regarding other scenarios.

Do you get the AV1 if your Admiral is not killed but not on the table either?
PreviousNext

Return to Rules Queries