It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:32 am

Destroyed Sectors and Scoring

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

BlackLegion

Destroyed Sectors and Scoring

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Do I understand this correctly?

A destroyed Sector has a Value of 0. So if I destroy all Sectors in a Cluster I (and my opponent) can only contest the Cluster but can't hold it anymore?
Both of us can hold a (ruined) Sector if we have more Token in it than the opponent. But as all Sectors have a Value of 0 no one can accumulate more Sector Value than the other. So we can each hold at least one (ruined) Sector to contest the Custer but claiming it isn't possible anymore?

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Destroyed Sectors and Scoring

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 3:23 am

I think that's a very strict, loophole-y RAW interpretation (not to say that you're looking for a loophole, tho...). I believe the actual intent is that at that point, the Cluster has zero value, from both the ground and Critical Location perspective.

My reasoning for this is in the special rule for power stations in the Power Grab scenario, #7. If the power station is destroyed, the cluster is worth zero VPs, and that applies to both the ground scoring of the cluster and the CL value of the cluster.

I played this scenario last night, by the way. Very interesting. You definitely need the high number of debris fields that you are given a range for, although this could tax the average player's resources if they only have one 2-Player Starter's worth of debris fields (I have two from the KS, and couldn't field the max number if I'd roll it for either Fine or Dense..,).
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

BlackLegion

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 8:01 am

Well strict or not. I ask myself if this is the intention or if the Cluster is worthless if all Sectors are destroyed.
That in one Scenario it specifically states that a Cluster becomes worthless if all Sectors are destroyed is a rule only for this specific scenario it seems.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:21 pm

I'd agree with your idea that you cannot control it but can contest it. Nothing says the normal clusters lose their value just that you can no longer control them since you cannot get any score.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 2:47 am

That may be strictly RAW, and I'll go with it until we get an FAQ on it (please add this to the list, if you haven't already), but I can't see how you could contest something that has no value to control, nor how both players could contest. "Contest" has always been the counterpoint to "control", at ~1/2 VPs; in no ther circumstances do we see a situation where both players can contest. So I just don't think it makes sense, to an extreme degree. It could be that it was "so obvious" to Dave and Andy that they didn't bother including the rule that if all sectors are destroyed the cluster has no value, even for contesting...

Also, how do you contest something that someone doesn't control? See, that's where this whole approach just breaks down for me -- "contest" can only happen if someone else "controls" a thing. So I think your argument, while possibly a very strict interpretation of RAW, is flawed...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 3:47 am

I agree it should be cleared up. Double checked my faq collection and that question is already up there.

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 10:38 am

The latest OB youtube video, Dave explains that they are not worth points and is debating whether to reduce the value of the sector also.

Wolvens_Requiem

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:00 pm

RAW as I understand would be that the cluster is still worth however many points it was, but cannot be scored on the ground. No one holds a sector so no one can contest or claim to be controlling the cluster but you'd still score for the Critical Location.

Return to Rules Queries