It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:30 pm

Ship Jams

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

dread2005

Hawk Talon

Ship Jams

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:21 am

So well all this Talk about Stacking broth me up a Idea, or a Question...

In the end maybe it would be better if i dont ask it... but i must! :D

Lets say there is a Enemy Ship in front of my ship and i move directly at his Position. (Stack with the Enemy Ship)

Can i shoot it? yes or no, because of the Arcs rule? If not why, because maybe i am a tiny bit of 1/100 mm at the side of the other ship.... you know what i mean) and how about CAW or Weapons which cover all Arcs... F/S/R

thoughts? :twisted: :roll: :?:
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

Eddieddi

Re: Ship Jams

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm

I think that the way it should work , Is that you should place your ship disk at the ANGLE you wish to be to the enemy ship, Ie, in the ACTUAL battle (not our tabletop representation) you would still have a arc to fire from, EG, lets say you move atop the enemy ship, but in reality are 1pm to the left, Then he would be in your Left side arc, and close enough for close action. That simple. you set up the closest representation as possible, and work from there, EG, If you stop 1pm BEHIND the enemy ship, then only Rear weapons would hit them.
So going off your example:
dread2005 wrote:a tiny bit of 1/100 mm at the side of the other ship

You would have the side you are off on arc in range, and your close action. That simple. We had the same issue. at one point. What we did, was we grabbed a square of paper, put a arbitary 'North' on it, took a much smaller square of paper, put the arbitrary 'north' on that, the little square went on the table where the jam was, then all the players set up their ships in order of arrival at the jam on the sheet of paper. was like we had a 'zoom' function on the battle, was awesome.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 5:03 pm

All measurements are done from the stem. So if you occupy the same space as another stem I would say you cant measure to/from the ship you are on. This comes down to fair play and not getting both side arcs firing at the same target. Maybe a math person can explain why it is or is not possible to measure a distance like that.

So as per traffic james you need to note where your ship is and thus if you want to shoot a ship you must declare which arc it is in when you moved it (by being a tiny fraction of an inch off to the side allowing the measurement to occur). As long as that arc is clearly marked so your opponent knows which broadside/front/rear section he is being targetted by I see no issue.

Again as reminder in all traffic james scenarios you must clearly identify where your ships are by a token (which must show facing) and the real model must be on the table as close as possible to its actual location.

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Stacking is great for games with hexes and counters. Miniature games.. not at all.

Check rules for stacking/movement on Star Wars Armada below:
"Overlapping Ships If the moving ship’s final position would overlap another ship, it cannot finish its movement normally. Instead, its speed is temporarily reduced by one and it attempts to move at this speed. This process continues until the moving ship can finish a movement or until its speed is temporarily reduced to “0,” in which case it remains in its current position. After moving, the moving ship and the closest ship that it overlapped both receive one facedown damage card."

Cheers,
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:27 pm

See I agree if it is a 2D game. This is a 3D space game however and it feels really gamey to force a ship to do something because the models are in the way. Models are tokens in all games, but when you are playing something like Dropzone Commander is makes sense that you can't have tanks driving over each other. With Dropfleet it is explained right away that our models are representing tiny dots on the stands and that space is very big. Combine that with a default game mechanic that forces you to move and limits your turning ability it makes even less sense to rely on the models to avoid each other especially with objectives that will encourage ships to occupy similar spaces on the table.

The Armada example highlights why I like stacking. Having ships flying so close that they bump into each other and cause damage is ridiculous. Even our ramming attacks are basically fly as close as you can and blow your reactor to damage the enemy rather than an actual ram and that is when we do it on purpose. Using an enemy ship to slow myself down is gamey as is the idea that I can easily ram you to cause damage in a space game. Fighter jets don't ram each other and space combat is at much higher velocities!

This issue with traffic james these days seems to be mostly focused on the Glass issue and people being worried it will be a standard tactic. I'm sure once that single ship is dealt with (which we should be seeing in the next day or so...) the issue will slowly disappear as the tactic around it will no longer be viable.

Before the Glass no one cared about traffic james as a rule since there was never an incentive to use it tactically.

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 6:35 am

I like the stacking as well and hope it will not get changed because of the glass...
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

Return to Rules Queries