It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:35 am

Voidgates on CLs

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Wenner69

Re: Voidgates on CLs

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Thank you. It was very enjoyable tournament with a good spread of lists.

I met in order.

Dual carrier scourge with close action support. My kill teams took out a carrier(of 2) and his troopship. Battleship took out his battlecruiser. The rest of his fleet could be removed piecemeal.

Second game was against shaltari. 2 emeralds with the rest of the fleet designed to kill other ships. I did a couple of suicide runs with the glass, amethyst, the turquoise and an emerald to take out both his emeralds turn 3 and 4. Rest of fleet fled away and I could drop my way to a clear win even though he dominated the sky.

Third game was against a 2 bellerophon, 4 Troopships, 4 echo, rest Medea phr list. It was station assault and I built up a reserve in my closest station. I took out about a cruiser and a frig per turn and could teleport 15 tanks to any location he tried to take. Ended up with having 1 station and me 4 with his fleet decimated to 3 troopships and bellerophon (in the sights of the battleship) turn 4
Blessed by the white sphere

Major Awesome

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 am

Wenner69 wrote:... cool stuff about a tournament ...

To bring it back to topic- did you use Voidgates to contribute to any CLs or own any CLs? Did the opponents use their strike carriers to do so?
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.

Tauwolf

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 5:40 am

J.D. Welch wrote:Congratulations, Mr. Wenner!

What did you see at Adepticon in terms of lists? How many Troopships/Emeralds and Strike Carriers/VGs were your opponents taking, and any other lists you saw?

I'm not a big fan of Wenner. He's a jerk because he stomped me 20-0 in the first game..... ;)

Nahhhh, just kidding, he's a fantastic, super-fun opponent. His list was perfectly balanced and played exceptionally well. I just wish I could have played him in the second or third game, as I'm pretty sure I could have given him a better game in Moonshot or Station Assault (first scenario was Take & Hold). I knew going in I'd have an uphill battle against a good Shaltari player, and his dice came ready to play. I played my strong flank way too conservative, he played the objectives and alpha strikes perfectly, and by the time his dice cooled in turn 3 it was already mostly a foregone conclusion what result we were heading towards.

Here's the list he faced:

--------------------------------------
Adepticon - 1240pts
Scourge - 0 launch assets

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (237pts)
1 x Basilisk - 205pts - H
1 x Gargoyle - 32pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (220pts)
2 x Ifrit - 220pts - M

SR9 Line battlegroup (233pts)
1 x Chimera - 105pts - M
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (210pts)
2 x Wyvern - 210pts - M

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (172pts)
4 x Djinn - 172pts - L

SR4 Pathfinder battlegroup (168pts)
4 x Harpy - 168pts - L
------------- dflist.com -------------

Wenner69

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 am

Major Awesome wrote:
Wenner69 wrote:... cool stuff about a tournament ...

To bring it back to topic- did you use Voidgates to contribute to any CLs or own any CLs? Did the opponents use their strike carriers to do so?

Yes, since we did not use the experimental rules, it did happen.

My philosophy is that I bring enough void gates that I can park one of them in atmo (where it usually want to preside anyway) below a CL . Just pop it up turn 4 and 6 as needed. In general this forces my opponent to adjust and cover for this. He needs to use forces to hold a backwater cl that otherwise might have just needed a Lima or something. Not a big edge but small things add up. The change in the experimental rules are a no Brainer for me. Makes it just a little bit more balanced

Thank you Tauwolf. Hope you had a good time. It was a fun game. Donald Roach gave me the challenge to try to make scourge great again so I will try out a few things in the coming weeks.

Tauwolf

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Wenner69 wrote:Thank you Tauwolf. Hope you had a good time. It was a fun game. Donald Roach gave me the challenge to try to make scourge great again so I will try out a few things in the coming weeks.

Actually, now I'm pretty sure I wasn't your first turn opponent. You said it was a duel-carrier scourge and I didn't bring any carriers. Your second round opponent very well have been my first round. My bad.

As for making Scourge great, yeah they play well against everyone against shaltari. I haven't been able to figure out how to consistently beat Shaltari with a list that is also competitive against UCM/PHR.

Kelbesq

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Tauwolf wrote:I haven't been able to figure out how to consistently beat Shaltari with a list that is also competitive against UCM/PHR.

(Sorry to go off topic) What changes would you make to a list if you *knew* you were going against Shaltari and didn't have to care about UCM/PHR/Scourge?

Tauwolf

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Kelbesq wrote:
Tauwolf wrote:I haven't been able to figure out how to consistently beat Shaltari with a list that is also competitive against UCM/PHR.

(Sorry to go off topic) What changes would you make to a list if you *knew* you were going against Shaltari and didn't have to care about UCM/PHR/Scourge?

Corvettes, Scylla (new rules), no troopships, more strike carriers.

Wenner69

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 pm

Tauwolf wrote:
Wenner69 wrote:Thank you Tauwolf. Hope you had a good time. It was a fun game. Donald Roach gave me the challenge to try to make scourge great again so I will try out a few things in the coming weeks.

Actually, now I'm pretty sure I wasn't your first turn opponent. You said it was a duel-carrier scourge and I didn't bring any carriers. Your second round opponent very well have been my first round. My bad.

As for making Scourge great, yeah they play well against everyone against shaltari. I haven't been able to figure out how to consistently beat Shaltari with a list that is also competitive against UCM/PHR.

Well depends if you were the man in kilt with blue scourge that won best painted?

I played the green emerald shaltari.

Tauwolf

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 pm

Wenner69 wrote:
Tauwolf wrote:

Well depends if you were the man in kilt with blue scourge that won best painted?

I played the green emerald shaltari.

Yeah he was my second game. I was the red Scourge :)
Previous

Return to Rules Queries