It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:42 am

Military sector weapons

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Mogmogz

Military sector weapons

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Can a military sector shoot at ships in atmo?

Escape velocity states higher orbital layer, the diagram in the book showing the orbital layers clearly depicts the ground, then atomo, then low and high orbit, but this is the only reference to ground being a different level from atmo.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Re: Military sector weapons

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:45 pm

There is no surface layer, ground fire is coming from the atmosphere layer. This has been confirmed by Dave at an event already and as there are no rules written anywhere explaining what surface is this also makes sense with the rules as written.

Note that it is good for game balance as well. If you could shoot down strike carriers with planet weapons then you basically auto win the cluster if you get to the military sector first. 2 3+ shots can shoot down strike carriers very easily!

raziel691

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Hello,
I do not quite understand when a unit can use the weapons system of the military base.
Can I use it on the turn following the arrival of this troop ?

According to the book of rules, a troop can only hold an area after the 4th round (scoring turn)...i don't understand !

BlackLegion

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Every turn you have the possibility to hold a sector. But only at turn 4 and 6 you score.

Nobody

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 pm

raziel691 wrote:Hello,
I do not quite understand when a unit can use the weapons system of the military base.
Can I use it on the turn following the arrival of this troop ?

According to the book of rules, a troop can only hold an area after the 4th round (scoring turn)...i don't understand !

Firing ground weapons happens at the beginning of the ground combat phase. Since you can't land troops until the launch asset phase (that comes after) nor can you move troops into a sector from another one until after the start of the phase, you cannot fire a military sector weapon until the turn after you have moved ground units there (and presuming, of course, that you control it and not your opponent).

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 4:48 pm

BlackLegion wrote:Every turn you have the possibility to hold a sector. But only at turn 4 and 6 you score.

Acutally thats not exactly true according to the rules on pg74 "In order to hold a Sector, you must have more infantry/armoured tokens in that sector that your opponent at the end of the scoring turn, as described in the scenario."

I have not met anyone who played that way, and in fact did not realize it until there was a debate in a game regarding Scanner Uplink and when it takes effect. I think I am going to add this to my Collected FAQ just because it is a huge game changer for the ground sector abilities if you only control can from turn 4 onwards.

As for the question as to when you fire it clearly states at the beginning of the ground combat step which means before troops can move/fight and well before new troops are dropped. It doesn't mention the order that weapons are fired but we tend to play it as just after iniative is rolled for and use that order rather that at the true beginning of the ground combat.

BlackLegion

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Hmm right. RAW you can only fire in turn 4 and 6. Silly.

Kelbesq

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 6:05 pm

And turn 5 if you claimed it in turn 4? Actually, if you can only hold a sector at the end of turn 4/6, and can only fire at the beginning of ground combat, then you could only fire in turns 5 & 6. And that assumes "holding a sector" is persistant between turns.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Yep pretty silly so I sure it is not intended that way but if someone wants to ruleslawyer it in a tourny the organizer should be aware and ready for it.

Return to Rules Queries