It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:20 am

Stealth and launch

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

moondoggy66

Hawk Talon

Stealth and launch

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 8:00 am

If a ship is on silent running and launches in the roundup phase does it just gain the minor spike and keep the base 0 sig resulting in a sig of 6 or does it loose silent running resulting in a larger sig. It would seem the result of sig 6 is right but not totally sure.

Eddieddi

Re: Stealth and launch

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 11:01 am

A ship on silent running CANNOT launch. and no ship with Launch also has stealth. so it shouldn't be an issue.

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 11:46 am

Eddieddi wrote:and no ship with Launch also has stealth. so it shouldn't be an issue

I know the Manticore/Banshee is bad but to deny it´s existence is a bit harsh isn´t it? :lol:

Eddieddi wrote:A ship on silent running CANNOT launch.

Generally correct however in the above case, Stealth circumvents this as per FAQ see "Launch assets and Ground assets" second question/answer.

In regard to the original question that one is a bit unclear, however do not forget the full cloak which prevents spikes. So only when the cloak is down due to damage and the ship is in silent running and fires would such an issue arise, if that happens though your guess is as good as mine what is supposed to happen.

I would say there are two likely solutions: 1. The ship is kicked out of silent running that is it.
2. The ship is out of silent running and gains a spike.

Number 2 would appear to be the solution closest to the rules. While 1 would try to emulate the active scanning mechanics for this case.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 3:01 pm

I've asked this in the Collected FAQ v2. There is only one example in the rules as is for a similar situation.

If a ship is is on silent running and hit by a blazing wreck (is given a minor spike) it will lose silent running and just be on standard sig (no spike).

So I assume that will be the ruling an all other similar situations but we dont know yet.

Stealth also goes down when crippled so this wont effect Manticore at all either.
Last edited by Cry of the Wind on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Cry of the Wind wrote:Stealth also goes down when crippled so this wont effect Manticore at all either.

Right forgot that one meaning that currently the scenario cannot happen, at least not with launch assets as the cause.

Eddieddi

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Lorn wrote:
Eddieddi wrote:and no ship with Launch also has stealth. so it shouldn't be an issue

I know the Manticore/Banshee is bad but to deny it´s existence is a bit harsh isn´t it? :lol:

Eddieddi wrote:A ship on silent running CANNOT launch.

Generally correct however in the above case, Stealth circumvents this as per FAQ see "Launch assets and Ground assets" second question/answer.

Manticore/Banshee is a unique case and Torpedos are unique launch assets, as-so far as I can see The Torpedo is treated as a weapon therefore would be effected by stealth, Therefore You can fire it, but only if you have not fired any other weapon this turn.

BlackLegion

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Not quite correct. The Manticore can fire it's Occulus Beam Array, use it's CAW AND may launch it's torpedo while in Silent Running.

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Eddieddi wrote:Torpedos are unique launch assets, as-so far as I can see The Torpedo is treated as a weapon therefore would be effected by stealth, Therefore You can fire it, but only if you have not fired any other weapon this turn.

What gives you that idea? Or are you making this up instead of reading the rules?

Orchaldor

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Lorn and Black Legion are correct - the FAQ makes it very clear that Launch Assets are not weapons, it is simply that they may only be used if the ship can fire its weapons. Since Stealth allows a ship on Silent Running to fire one weapon, it may also use close action weaponry and launch any assets it has (this is explicitly stated in the FAQ).

The question of gaining spikes from launching on Silent Running is interesting - particularly if the FAQ on Command Cards is indeed giving the hint of a card (Silent Killer?) that would allow a ship to temporarily gain the Stealth rule, even if the ship is crippled. This would then allow a Manticore to launch from stealth without the benefit of Full Cloak to negate spikes. What about a ship that could gain multiple spikes whilst Silent Running - say, if a Diamond class battleship used such a card to fire its particle triad and gate some troops (spike from Bloom + spike from Launch)? I've not seen the beta Command Cards, so I am merely speculating - I assume that others that have been involved in the beta know more about this potential rules interaction.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 12:53 am

The beta card and FAQ don't really explain what happens if a Silent Runnning ship launchs something using Stealth.

So the question still stands and my assumption for ruling in the local area will stand as well until I'm told otherwise. Treat it the same as a ship hit with a Blazing Wreck while on Silent Running.

Return to Rules Queries