It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 7:52 am

Scoring Clusters

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Kemble

Scoring Clusters

PostMon May 01, 2017 8:43 am

I just attended an event and came across a different interpretation of scoring clusters and it seems to be correct but I dont know if I like it.

So page 74, top middle paragraph "Players Score VP's for holding and/or contesting clusters"
page 74, bottom left paragraph "To hold a cluster you must hold more sectors in that cluster than your opponent. To contest a cluster, you must hold 1 or more Sectors in that Cluster."

Now I'm going to ignore the 'hold more sectors' bit, and assume that it means hold more 'value' of sectors - see Industrial and Power Plant sectors.

So the question: If you hold 2 sectors in a large clusters (lets say 1 Industrial and 1 Military), while your opponent holds 1 Military and 1 Commercial) do you get 6 points as you meet the requirements to 'contest' by holding at least 1 sector and you also hold the cluster as you hold more value of sectors. While your opponent gets 2 points for contesting only. Or the way I have always played it is simply you get 4 points for holding and the opponent gets 2 points for contesting.

TLDR: Can you both hold and contest the 1 cluster?

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Re: Scoring Clusters

PostMon May 01, 2017 2:27 pm

The rulebook does indeed have 2 different scoring methods listed in the same page. What we have all assumed is the correct one is the one that actually uses the values for the sectors.

So in your example the player controlling the Industrial Sector would be the one in control of the cluster while the other player would be contesting.

I see no reason you would be able to both contest and hold a cluster at the same time, that makes no sense it is one or the other.

So basically you have been playing it correctly as far as most of us are concerned but it really should be errata'd to remove the line about controlling more sectors.

BlackLegion

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:46 pm

IIRC in the Errata/FAQ it is addressed that you score who has the most value in sectors.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Double checked the FAQ/Errata and it is indeed there!

First page of the doc in the Errata section, 6th item correcting pg 74.

Return to Rules Queries