It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:30 am

defense Battery

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

_ghost_

defense Battery

PostMon May 01, 2017 10:41 am

When player A loses the Roll for iniative. In the roundup phase and decided to place a defense battery in a sector. Diesthat verysame battery work against Player B's bulk landers n dropships placed in the same turn?

I'd say no because the moments the assets R resolved the battery i not yet deployed. My oponend told me that this works. So what is right?

Kemble

Re: defense Battery

PostMon May 01, 2017 10:52 am

No,

The book kinda contradicts itself, but my answer is no.

Page 60, left side bottom paragraph. "Once all groups containing launch assets have deployed their assets, you must then resolve their effects. Firstly place any ground tokens from dropships and bulk landers."

So while in practise you are selecting your group to land dropships / bulk landers with, then your opponent and back and forth. While you are doing that no doubt you are placing the infantry, tank and defence battery tokens on the fly. But the technically correct way to do it would be to place a dropship token and a bulk lander token just as if they were bombers or fighters. Then when you get to step 6 where the above quote is from, all of those dropships and bulk landers resolve at the same time and place the tanks and defence batteries together.

So no, the initiative loser dosnt have an advantage at being able to place a defence battery first and getting to shoot at you, as the reality is that he dosnt land before you he just declares his action before you and they resolve at the same time.

_ghost_

PostMon May 01, 2017 11:39 am

This is what I thought. But caus Lack of time I was Nut able to convince the others with written rules

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Yep pg 60 explains they all resolve at the same time so no defence battery would be present it launched in the same turn.

Pg 63 explains the whole ease of play thing where you skip the bulk lander/dropship tokens since they aren't really needed but in reality they are there until Step 6 of Launch Assets.

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 01, 2017 4:35 pm

well it was me that does not see it clear RAW

but i think RAI its like you all say. As usual the majority of people are right
concerning rules. 8-)

but just too tell my thoughts, which lead me to not see this as clear as you:

RB Page 59/60
5) Launch Dropships and Bulk Landers

.... Sectors and Space Stations they are targeting (note that no Dropship or Bulk Lander tokens are placed as they resolve instantly - see p63).

Once the tokens are placed, the player with the next lowest Initiative may choose to launch Dropships and Bulk Landers from a Group that has not launched Dropships and Bulk Landers yet this turn. Repeat this until every player has launched Dropships and Bulk Landers from every ship they wish to launch from.

So in my eyes the one who places his Batterie first gets to shoot this turn, because i dont see any delay on this. in the fluff it as well tells that they are designed for fast deploy and instant reaction.

but i dont mind playing it the other way... well my problem is that "Ground Fire" is resolved as soon as Dropships or Bulk Lander are incoming, not at part 6) ...

RB page 63
Ground Sector or Space Station: When a Dropship token arrives on target it will deliver one Armour or Infantry token to the Sector or Space Station. Since there is no actual game time between the deployment and landing of the Dropship tokens there is no need to physically place them. For speed of play and ease of use, most players will find it easier to declare where they are deploying troops, resolve any ground fire from Batteries and then directly place the Infantry or Armour tokens without using a Dropship token.

but as i said, just my thoughts i am fine playing it the other way. just dont read it... :mrgreen:
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Your picking sections of the rules without reading all of them. Pg 60 like you say mentions them resolving instantly and to see pg 63 for more info. Before that on pg 59 it tells you to place the ground tokens next to the sector you are landing on, not on it. You place them on it on Step 6. In Step 5 you are simply showing your opponent where they want to go not actually placing them there. If that were not the case then the sentence in Step 6 "firstly place any ground tokens..." would be completly pointless.

Pg 63 in the sentence just before your highlights that there are in fact dropship/bulk lander tokens but since they are not really needed they are not included in the game. If I wanted to I could print some Bulk Lander and Dropship tokens and use them in Step 5 of Launch Assets. I don't because the game tells me that for ease of use it is simpler to just skip that step and place the Ground Assets.

Basically if you want to start using you defence batteries right away I can insist that we not use the ease of placement and require you to place your Bulk Lander tokens on sectors in Step 5 meaning they won't be on the ground when you have the chance to shoot me down (which is when I place my Drophip/Bulk Lander token).

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Never mind, in the other hand it would contest better against the shaltari. Since the charged air is instant as well.

But ok from now on the batterie gets delayed till next turn

Magictimes4me

Hawk Talon

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:03 am

Quick question for someone

Bulk landers have a drop of two. Per bulk lander I can drop...

3 infantry up to 6 ? An or 3 infantry and a defense weapon or two defense weapons which
Ever I choose? Does my question make sense??

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:19 am

Magictimes4me wrote:Quick question for someone

Bulk landers have a drop of two. Per bulk lander I can drop...

3 infantry up to 6 ? An or 3 infantry and a defense weapon or two defense weapons which

Correct, and if a batterie already awaits you it shoots once (1 dice) each Bulklander (3x infantry or 1x batterie)

Kemble

PostWed May 03, 2017 9:31 am

Magictimes4me wrote:3 infantry up to 6 ? An or 3 infantry and a defense weapon or two defense weapons which

Yup, 2 bulk landers, each containing either 3 infantry or 1 defence battery.

Its worth noting that Defence Batteries self destruct if there are no friendly infantry or tanks in the same sector as them.
And that 1 Battery fully protects a cluster and that a second Battery in the same cluster only provides a backup should the first die and otherwise dosnt function.
Next

Return to Rules Queries