It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:56 am

New admiral

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Re: New admiral

PostWed May 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Rereading all the rules and FAQ on the matter it seems bob is indeed correct and we all have a Dropzone Commander bias on this rule and its implications. I'll admit I never even considered it an issue since I assumed it would be like DZC and saw the mentioning of AV 1 without noticing that it required an Admiral. In Dropzone there is a clear sentence explaining that if there are no Commanders present you use CV 1. This is not true of Dropfleet Commander.

Nothing states a fleet has an AV of 1 to begin with. You only have that if you have an Admiral and they are not present on the board for any reason (i.e. dead or not deployed yet). Page 39 also confirms you only draw cards up to your AV and does not mention getting the 1 card. That is added in the later section and clarified by the FAQ.

So to me this is a deliberate move by Hawk to encourage Admiral use. You don't need to include one but you will not be able to benefit from Admiral abilities (Command Cards) unless you include one. Not a huge price at 20pts but something everyone must consider in their list building now that Command Cards are out (kind of...).

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 8:43 am

It makes no sense that you get a "free" AV1 Admiral if the old one died and none if you did not have one. The same discussion was had in DZC and the ruling was the same. And I see little reason not to draw analogies in cases the rules are unclear.

The Section on admirals and command cards in the DFC book is rather short and the belief that "if it is not there it was not intended to be there" is misplaced as the Calypso shows.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

dread2005

Hawk Talon

PostThu May 18, 2017 8:50 am

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9551&p=89141#p89141

well RAI we all agree so just continue to play it that way! :mrgreen:
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri May 19, 2017 5:56 am

Lorn wrote:It makes no sense that you get a "free" AV1 Admiral if the old one died and none if you did not have one. The same discussion was had in DZC and the ruling was the same. And I see little reason not to draw analogies in cases the rules are unclear.

The Section on admirals and command cards in the DFC book is rather short and the belief that "if it is not there it was not intended to be there" is misplaced as the Calypso shows.

+1
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com
Previous

Return to Rules Queries