It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Campaign experience and suggestions?

Tell the world how you trashed your enemies on the battlefield, or how you tactically withdrew to fight another day!
  • Author

swampsheep

Campaign experience and suggestions?

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm looking at putting together a campaign in our local group.

Ideally, I would like a format that fits the following criteria:
  • Story based - it doesn't have to be balanced, but the story and individual games have to make sense and be connected. The scenarios in the books a good for balanced play, but in the "realism" side they are missing existing ground troops, the symmetry of the battlefield is a bit unrealistic.
  • Regular playing dates where everybody gets to play a game.
  • All factions are present, but not equally (I'm guessing distribution ends up being 3 UCM, 2 PHR, 1 Scourge, 1 Shaltari)
My current thoughts are that each faction has it's own story get to make a choice among several about what scenario to fight, with incomplete information about said scenarios. One person - probably me - will be responsible for designing those up front. Then the opposing side might be one of the other players either in their story or as "NPCs", that is not following their own story line but just acting the opponent. After everybody have made their choices, matches are being played.

I'm unsure if this model will work. I'm afraid the storylines might be too far removed from one another and that if one or two key players can't make it in any given day, we will have to change the story on the day.

IS there anybody who has any experience running story-based campaigns in DFC that have anything to share on the subject? Or just anybody with some input on the topic in general?
http://linkedbroadsides.com - My blog with analysis, tactics and thoughts about dropfleet. Updates Mondays and Thursdays.

JJMicromegas

Re: Campaign experience and suggestions?

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm currently running a campaign where I link the space and ground battles, I found the easiest way to run it is narrative based, so it doesn't have an overall structure and I play the battle that makes sense following on from the result of the previous battle:

http://micromegasatwar.blogspot.ca/

Nobody

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 5:38 pm

I had been toying with an idea for campaigns where you play a DFC megabattle (based on factions) maybe once a month, but not fight out ground combats. Instead after the DFC game is over it switches to a map based campaign for DZC where you have to "win" enough fights in a sector to deplete the opposing tokens (ex: winning 1 game would be enough to to knock out a infantry token, 2 for a tank). Additional DFC games could be played in an attempt to open up more fronts, drop reinforcements, or take space stations to get pre-game bombardments.

The major drawback is that it relies on having one "main" DFC player for the megabattle and too much ganging up can knock a faction out completely before the DZC portion begins.

swampsheep

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Thank you for your input.
http://linkedbroadsides.com - My blog with analysis, tactics and thoughts about dropfleet. Updates Mondays and Thursdays.

Return to Games, Battle Reports and Custom Scenarios