It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:17 am

Battle Report Shaltari vs UCM Starters

Tell the world how you trashed your enemies on the battlefield, or how you tactically withdrew to fight another day!
  • Author

Thomps4991

Battle Report Shaltari vs UCM Starters

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi

this is my first attempt at this what do you think?

http://war-puppeteers.blogspot.co.uk/

BlackLegion

Re: Battle Report Shaltari vs UCM Starters

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 8:40 pm

Nice. More :D

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 9:08 pm

BlackLegion wrote:Nice. More :D

Agreed!

Why were you putting dice on the Strategy Ratings of the cards as the battle raged on? As far as I know, you don't adjust the Strategy Rating of a Battlegroup by reducing it by the ships that have been destroyed... But I haven't gotten my rulebook yet, only going by Beta rules...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Thomps4991

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 10:50 pm

The reason on the for the dice on the ratings is because it is all based on the tonnage of ships as the tonnage falls the rating should fall and the rule book says nothing on what happens on the lose of ships just refers back to list building and compares it to the tonnage of the ship, it needs an FAQ, as if you have a battle group of 2 groups of 2 light cruises that would equal a rating of 20, no way should that still be the same when there is only 1 left as that should be 5. This is because the ship has to spend less time organising with other ships.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 11:27 pm

I understand what you're saying, but Hawk make games that have "Inclusive" rulesets, meaning that if it isn't stated, you can't assume it. If they didn't explicitly state that you reduce the Strategy Rating every time you lose a ship from that BG, then you don't. It's that simple.

I know it doesn't make perfect sense, but there are a lot of abstractions that have to occur in a game like Dropfleet or Dropzone to maintain internal balance between factions, and within the course of a game.

You're right, it needs an FAQ, but if I had to rule on it (and I might), that would be my ruling. You use the starting number for the battlegroup throughout the game, you do not reduce its Strategy Rating every time you lose a ship from that BG...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Thomps4991

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 5:26 am

Yer, have been speaking to people who went to beta, yer it stays the same, just it wasn't really clear, next time I play I will keep it the same all the way though as it really did effect the game.

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 10:26 am

Fabulous battle report.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Orchaldor

PostTue Oct 18, 2016 1:16 pm

I asked about changing command values after watching an early battle report from Dread2005, Lyraeus had the following response from Dave at the US beta day:

Lyraeus wrote:
Orchaldor wrote:

One question though: Do battlegroup command values alter as ships in that group are destroyed, or are they intended to stay the same?
It seemed from the video that the command values didn't change - which I could see leading to odd situations where the big ships in the group are wiped out, leaving a small lone ship (such as a strike carrier or corvette) stuck on a large command value. That said, from a fluff point of view, I could argue that the battlegroup command and control facilities are likely to have been on the (now vaporised) bigger ship, leaving it's smaller cousin unprepared for solo operations. Either way is fine by me, just curious to see how Hawk approached it!

The background values don't change. This is to streamline the game.

I actually asked that question at the USBeta day. Dave was very adamant about them not changing.

Obviously, things can change from the beta, but as J.D. says, unless the rules actually say to reduce the command value, you don't reduce it.

Return to Games, Battle Reports and Custom Scenarios