It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:02 am

Dropfleet Commander - First Game

Tell the world how you trashed your enemies on the battlefield, or how you tactically withdrew to fight another day!
  • Author

Old Longy

Dropfleet Commander - First Game

PostSat Oct 29, 2016 10:19 pm

Quite literally first try at the game and first scan through the rulebook - I think we did Ok all things considered!

Comments welcome.

https://houseofgaming.co.uk/2016/10/29/ ... first-run/

Shunter

Re: Dropfleet Commander - First Game

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 6:40 am

Liked the report thanks. The map looks pretty narrow to fight on.

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Very nice report!

Interesting hearing people about the fiddlyness of the bases. I can't imagine it being worse than Star Wars Armada (ships and fighters).

[]s
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

Old Longy

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 8:32 am

wowskyguy wrote:Very nice report!

Interesting hearing people about the fiddlyness of the bases. I can't imagine it being worse than Star Wars Armada (ships and fighters).

[]s

It's worse....

Buckaroo

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Old Longy wrote:
wowskyguy wrote:Very nice report!

[]s

It's worse....

Agreed. Hearty +1. Armada is VERY simple...spin the dial or slide the red/blue thingy, and they're clearly visible across the table and (most importantly) FINGER SIZED. Even my 10 year old boy and 7 year old twin girls have no issues with Armada bases at all.

The DFC dials are workable (I only wish that there was some more resistance so that when they were bumped that they wouldn't change), but the pegs.....well, let's just say that everyone would prefer to jam a pen in their neck and giggle while they bleed out the hole instead of use the pegs.
No matter where you go....there you are.

BlackLegion

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 3:36 pm

The pegs work quite well. For the smaller bases you just have to re-drill the holes then the pegs hold as good as in the large bases.

Skinwalker

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 3:41 pm

BlackLegion wrote:The pegs work quite well.

You might be the first person i have seen on here, Facebook and real life, to say those words.

Buckaroo

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 4:01 pm

BlackLegion wrote:The pegs work quite well. For the smaller bases you just have to re-drill the holes then the pegs hold as good as in the large bases.

Point 1, I shouldn't have to redrill anything that's molded like these. If they can get it right on the large dials, they can get it right on the small ones.

Point 2, Once you get the ships in close, especially in any sort of CA range grouping, even getting to the dials around the ships is problematic....never mind the precision required to manipulate the pegs in said holes. Then we get to the whole black on black thing.......

Everyone that I've talked to that has played the game has abandoned the pegs to some degree or another after the first game or two.
No matter where you go....there you are.

Shunter

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 7:47 pm

Yes the pegs are pretty much impossible to use i found. The dials are okay. I purposely left tabs on them when i trimmed them off the sprue to make a snug fit.

Stompzilla

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 5:35 pm

For the pegs, I've taken to gluing them into the hole that corresponds to the ships starting HPs. Easy reference point and a handy little handle that makes turning the dial without nudging the models super easy. Damage tracking is done in the traditional way - with small dice.

Return to Games, Battle Reports and Custom Scenarios