It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 am

First game, first impressions - Starter Set

Tell the world how you trashed your enemies on the battlefield, or how you tactically withdrew to fight another day!
  • Author

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

First game, first impressions - Starter Set

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Played my first game yesternight.

Starter set, UCM vs Scourge, basic scenario.

I advanced cautiously as Scourge, since their cruiser signatures are larger than UCM's. By turn 3 we both had troops on the ground and several some were damaged. Both Toulons were destroyed on lucky shots, but I lost one combat frigate on the counter fire, as it was the one who pinged the 1st Toulon.
We were both quite lucky on the die rolls, having several critical hits. The rules seemd simple and fast enough.

My opponent conceded by end of turn 4. I had 10VP as Scourge and he had 4 VP as UCM. We took 20-30 min per turn, so the game took a little less than 2h.

Overall feeling is a good to great game. My opponent said it has several similarities to Battlefleet Gothic.

Good: weapons range based on sensor and signature, VPs based on troop deployment and area control, 3 altitude layers and peculiar characteristics of each, gorgeous detailed miniatures, good variation of units.

Bad: fiddliness of base information (altitude, sensor spike and damage points), Meta may change tournament gameplay (focus on troop deployment only), Map size (4x4 seems minimum, 6x4 recommended on 1600+ pts game), dicefest, several tables (crit damage, catastrophic destruction, etc)

Cheers,
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

Return to Games, Battle Reports and Custom Scenarios