It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:48 am

Shaltari Fleet make-up...

With diplomacy and alien technology, annihilate everyone!
  • Author

Hard Knox Games

Shaltari Fleet make-up...

PostFri Dec 30, 2016 4:56 pm

So I've got my Shaltari starter fleet painted, and my battleship stared. That will put me at 891 pts

Thus far I have:

Platinum (Super Carrier)
2 x Basalt (Fleet Carriers)
Emerald (Mothership)
2 x Jade (Lance Frigate)
2 x Amethyst (Microwave Frigate)
3 x Voidgates

for 891 Pts.

I am considering going frigate heavy (adding 12 more) and including an additional Emerald (mothership) among the next set of 3 cruisers. I would do this with a Starter and a Frigate box.

My thought at the moment would be to add:

1 x Jade (in other group)
2 x Amethyst (new group)
4 x Topaz (for board control)
4 x Topaz (for board control)
1 x Opal (to protect the Platinum)
1 x Emerald (more ground assault capacity)
3 x Voidgates (if I can figure out how to get 4 I would)
2 x Saphire (for board control and barrage)

then fill any remaining points with Glass Cloudfliers and/or Admiral to get up to 2000

Would that be too much focus on control of dropzones and the planet, or about right? That would also put me relatively light on the particle cannons which I understand to be somewhat nasty....
When you get right down to it most of our games are just an excuse to stand around a table fussing, and cussing,
while playing "Bang you are dead, and I have a rule to prove it!"

Bengt

Re: Shaltari Fleet make-up...

PostFri Dec 30, 2016 7:56 pm

You'll want one Emerald and three-four Void Gates per 500 points.

Jade is absolutely terrible, it will always do less damage than a Topaz for the same cost and has no other redeeming qualities. Though it might get erratad since it feels like a mistake.

I would also recommend Jet over Sapphire as it is cheaper, does more damage and the Gravity Coil effect is very unreliable.

Hard Knox Games

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 5:16 am

Well I've procured a second starter-box.

As it stands my fleet is assembled as:

270 Platinum Supercarrier
165 Onyx Heavy Cruiser
165 Jet Heavy Cruiser
145 Basalt Fleet Carrier
145 Basalt Fleet Carrier
100 Emerald Mothership
100 Emerald Mothership
180 Topaz Frigate (x4)
96 Amethyst Frigate (x2)
40 Opal Frigate
90 Voidgate (x6)
-------------

1496 points

I think my groups would be:

Group 1:
Platinum

Group 2:
Onyx
Opal

Group 3:
Jet

Group 4:
Basalt
Emerald
Topaz (x2)

Group 5:
Basalt
Emerald
Topaz (x2)

Group 6:
Amethyst (x2)
When you get right down to it most of our games are just an excuse to stand around a table fussing, and cussing,

katfude

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 4:55 am

You're going to have to be very careful with your motherships if you're only bringing 2. That usually means making a long voidgate chain and hiding behind a debris field, but with 6 gates, this will be even more challenging, so be aware your ground game is iffy at best.

You have a ton of fleet assets, and that's cool, but it seems like you're relying on those bombers to win the fleet game to me.

It just seems sort of all over the place in every way besides launch assets, personally. If you run it, I'm very curious as to how to performs, but I'm skeptical that bombers and fighters alone are the path to victory.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 7:21 am

I think Launch can be an effective strategy -- it has certainly worked for me with my PHR. Shaltari fighters are the best, and Bombers very good, just behind PHR's Bombers. With a Platinum and two Basalt, that's an impressive amount of Launch, 15 -- I've only managed to get 12 into my PHR lists and get the other assets I want to have.

I agree, however, that two Emeralds and six VGs is not nearly enough. Locally our Shaltari players are taking at least four Motherships and around 18 VGs -- generally outside of our meta that is considered "spammy" and "gimmicky", but you know what? They win their games. ;)

Also, any ship that has to go Weapons Free to be effective, like the Onyx, is not efficient. Yes, on a single gun basis the Disintegrator is better than the Particle Lance, but most of the time the Onyx is only going to be able to shoot one of its three Disintegrators. The Jet, on the other hand, doesn't need to go WF to be very effective, so I think that's a great choice.

Why is the Opal with the Onyx? Are you really worried about keeping the Onyx alive? I'd pair your Emeralds up into the same BG and stick the Opal with them for protection.

Likewise, why two little groups of Topaz? I'd stick them in the same BG and use them as a bigger, fast hammer than two little tack hammers. Also, Amethysts have more shots, and ignore Point Defense, but aren't effective against targets in Atmo, so they're very effective against strike carriers before they hit atmo, but a group of two is probably too small. Not sure if Amethysts are net-net better than Topaz, but I think they are...

The ratio of Voidgates to Motherships is really 4:1, not 3:1, because of the need for extra VGs to support your "chain", and I wouldn't leave home without four Emeralds, personally. The ground game is just too important -- this isn't a game about naval battles, it's about landing troops and armor and controlling the clusters. Along with that goes controlling the Critical Locations in orbit, and you do that better with more cruiser (and heavier) hulls than you do with lots of frigates.

Not to shred your list, just trying to pass along some of the ideas I've garnered from playing the game, and what our local Shaltari players have learned...

It's important to have fun, not just win, but if you can't even get close to winning, you're probably not going to have fun... ;)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Hard Knox Games

PostTue Jan 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Unfortunately my limitations on motherships/voidgates is all about the packaging. Right now I don't have access to another box set, and each starter box gives exactly 1 mothership and 3 voidgates (I've got two starters so far). I'm sure I'll eventually have more, but they simply aren't available through our distributors at the moment. I'm also not sure how I'm going to get a 4-1 ratio without purchasing 3000+ points of stuff.

My thought on the Opal/Onyx duo is that it would be a long range Weapons Free "sniper" as long as I could with the Onyx. Then when return fire got too hot I could pop shields and boost it with the Opal to improve survivability.

Sadly the Amethyst is limited to 1-2 in its group, so I couldn't spam those harder in one group if I wanted too.

The use of smaller groups of Topaz is just theory at this moment (as I've not played any game yet). The thought being to use them as screens and stalking horses for their larger groups like traditional naval warfare...probably doesn't translate from real world to tabletop well (unless you're talking Aegis frigates).

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 am

Fair enough.

For extra Voidgates, you could try online? Dunno, haven't looked... If they get to be high enough in demand, hopefully Hawk will make blisters of three resin ones each.. Also, perhaps the Mothership dome bit is available on eBay/etc from people who don't think like my locals do, and have spares?...

And you can take four Amethysts in a battlegroup. With the "grouping" rule (page 40) all ships of the same class in a BG form a single group in game. So in listbuilding you take two Groups of 2 in a BG, then when they hit the table they form a single "group" of 4.

Hope that helps! Best of luck getting a game soon!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Stompzilla

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 am

Void gates are like chicken teeth atm. I'm currently using the spare mothership cores (As recommended by the excellent Lorn) as proxies for the time being.

Personally I think 3 motherships is ideal at 1500pts. Any more than that and I fear you'll leave yourself lacking in other important areas.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 5:33 am

Stompzilla wrote:Void gates are like chicken teeth atm. I'm currently using the spare mothership cores (As recommended by the excellent Lorn) as proxies for the time being.

Personally I think 3 motherships is ideal at 1500pts. Any more than that and I fear you'll leave yourself lacking in other important areas.

Go ahead. Take just three Motherships. I will consistently beat you in the ground game. :D

Stompzilla

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 10:10 am

Doubt it. You'll need all those troopships because I'll be blowing them up so quickly. ;)
Next

Return to Shaltari - Fleet Lists and Tactics