It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:24 am

Foldspace Drives

Post your short stories and novels set in the Dropzone Universe here
Forum rules This part of the forum is for background and world building. While only Hawk Wargames publications are considered 'canonical', this is a space for fiction writers, musings on background lore and ideas on new worlds, areas of the universe and jump off points for armies and campaigns.

Please be respectful of other people's work, and maintain the high level of friendly communication that has always been a hallmark of this Forum's members.

Please also note:

• All content connected to, related to or stemming from any Hawk Wargames publications, Dropzone Commander, Dropfleet Commander or any future Hawk Wargames products remains the property of Hawk Wargames. Any commercial use or gain from any writing or content created from such works is protected under copywrite laws and treaties. It may not be used for commercial gain without express permission from Hawk Wargames; any other commercial use is illegal.

• Hawk Wargames may use all of, part of or any ideas or themes created or used in these forum posts, in any way, for any use, commercial or otherwise. By posting work, writers/originators give their consent for use in any of the above situations, with no further consent needed. If used as such, Hawk Wargames will always seek to inform and gain consent of the writer/originator, however this is not required for Hawk Wargames to proceed with such use.

• Posts in no way constitute an agreement to pay for, provide, or solicit future work from the author/originator. Hawk Wargames does not in any way guarantee further communication, work (paid or unpaid), or any form of agreement for further submissions. By posting in this way, authors/originators have no claim to work for, be endorsed by or be in any way connected to Hawk Wargames, other than being a forum member.
  • Author

Captain Covenant

Foldspace Drives

PostThu May 12, 2016 5:32 am

I'm a bit of a connoisseur of all things space related, but especially theoretical interstellar travel technology. I had a question about the DZC foldspace drives:

Do they function in a manner similar to the Alcubierre Metric? If not, what would be the best comparison for them in the realm of theoretical physics? Also, does foldspace technology warp space time for the passengers as it is commonly believed it would, or does this particular drive do something funky, like make time for the passengers pass just as slowly as it would for us?
I think I have enough miniatures games.

Ooh, look! Dropfleet!

Ravager

Re: Foldspace Drives

PostThu May 19, 2016 12:18 pm

From the brief descriptions of FSD's given in the current background material we know only three things:
1) They're inaccurate (beyond a distance of 10 Light-hours, which isn't even outsystem range, so Dave may have made a scale error there).
2) They can charge relatively fast (from the stories of ships arriving at the core worlds and then re-charging to escape Scourge patrols. Not all of them charged fast enough though).
3) They're instantaneous point-to-point drives (Several background items hint that they allow systems to reactivate within seconds of jumping—re: the beacon planted on the Mind of Asimov).

Samael

Re: Foldspace Drives

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 6:31 am

If the are instantaneous then they are probably some sort of wormhole drive. Connecting two places by an infinitely small distance. So the name foldspace makes sense (think of the diagrams vids for wormholes you fold the paper).

I've also got in image in my head of the scientists who invented the einstein-rosen bridge drive explaining it to a bunch of reporters/policitians and they fixate on the paper example and call it a fled space drive (much to the annoyance elf the scientists, "no it doesn't fold space, this is just a 2 dimensional example,e if a 4 dimensional universe!"

It would also explain the inaccuracy at range, since it is hard to define an exact place so far away. Though this leads to the when of how the nods work. This ships seem to communicate with them in real time to provide pinpoint accuracy in jumps.

Return to Fan Writing