It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:26 am

Fan Writing Comps (Prizes from Green Stuff Industries!)

Post your short stories and novels set in the Dropzone Universe here
Forum rules This part of the forum is for background and world building. While only Hawk Wargames publications are considered 'canonical', this is a space for fiction writers, musings on background lore and ideas on new worlds, areas of the universe and jump off points for armies and campaigns.

Please be respectful of other people's work, and maintain the high level of friendly communication that has always been a hallmark of this Forum's members.

Please also note:

• All content connected to, related to or stemming from any Hawk Wargames publications, Dropzone Commander, Dropfleet Commander or any future Hawk Wargames products remains the property of Hawk Wargames. Any commercial use or gain from any writing or content created from such works is protected under copywrite laws and treaties. It may not be used for commercial gain without express permission from Hawk Wargames; any other commercial use is illegal.

• Hawk Wargames may use all of, part of or any ideas or themes created or used in these forum posts, in any way, for any use, commercial or otherwise. By posting work, writers/originators give their consent for use in any of the above situations, with no further consent needed. If used as such, Hawk Wargames will always seek to inform and gain consent of the writer/originator, however this is not required for Hawk Wargames to proceed with such use.

• Posts in no way constitute an agreement to pay for, provide, or solicit future work from the author/originator. Hawk Wargames does not in any way guarantee further communication, work (paid or unpaid), or any form of agreement for further submissions. By posting in this way, authors/originators have no claim to work for, be endorsed by or be in any way connected to Hawk Wargames, other than being a forum member.
  • Author

Bazlord101

Fan Writing Comps (Prizes from Green Stuff Industries!)

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 2:12 am

Ahoy-hoy!

Since there's been nothing in the way of official writing competitions lately (understandable, what with all the DFC and new DZC units, etc) I'm looking to kick-start a little challenge for anyone that's interested. Just so we can all keep/get our quills sharp. Take it or leave it - there's still plenty of folk submitting stories, but I always find it's easier to get started on a story when there's a framework provided, so if you're in the mood, drop a tale on us!

Ain't no prizes on offer - just a chance to flick a few choice words explore some more of the DZC universe, and - of course - to keep on writing, and to get - and give! - some constructive feedback.

Ignore that! Prizes NOW offered for the best story! Thanks again to Novus for bringing a set of his custom DZC templates to the party.

So, how about this:

Prompt: "The day the Scourge came"
Final Submissions: 17th July
Max. Length: 750 words

Give us a story from the day of the Invasion, from the POV of one of mankind's lost children on a fallen Cradle World (or Earth), a Shaltari admiral deciding whether to engage the hostile fleet in glorious battle, or (if you can get inside the mind of a reptilian host almost fully overwhelmed by the enigmatic parasite within??), even a Scourge trooper hungering for the blood of his enemies. Anything, really - go nuts!

Cheers, and good luck!

Baz
Last edited by Bazlord101 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

Re: UNOFFICIAL Writing Competition! Win... NOTHING!!!

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 6:25 pm

Great idea!
You can expect mine!

Cheers, Thunder
For Humanity!
26th at Autum Invasion 2016

Novus

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 9:16 pm

Hey, this is Novus with Green Stuff Industries. I'll throw in some prize support! Winner (who is (are) the judge(s), Baz?) will receive one of my Dropzone Commander template sets, a $15.00 (US) value, shipped First Class Mail anywhere in the world!

https://www.greenstuffindustries.com/store/p50/Omni-Template%2C_Dropzone_Commander.html

All I ask is the judge PM me with the winners name and address info.

Captain Covenant

PostSat Jun 18, 2016 6:49 am

I'll give it a whirl.
I think I have enough miniatures games.

Ooh, look! Dropfleet!

Bazlord101

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 12:38 am

Awesome response already, especially from Novus! Thanks for the prize support - that's absolutely great!

Okay, well I guess I'm happy to judge the prize-winning story for the sweet-as Template Set from Green Stuff Industries. My own entry won't count of course - I'll just a story in here for window-dressing and constructive feedback :lol:

And to be honest, I'm likely to put a fair bit of weight on the reactions and comments each story generates anyway.

Cool! Let's rock! (Some keyboards...)

Baz

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 7:20 pm

I think you need to rename this now! ;)
Cheers, Thunder
For Humanity!

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 8:14 pm

And now my entry.

Aftermath of Vega

Dwight was observing the bridge. The scourge marks of the fire were visible on the port side. An improvised Comm station, with a new Ensign, was setup in front of it.“What’s his name again? Dammit. I can’t remember. Dame those Abandonists. Why didn’t we fire first? The fleet’s now just an amber of its form size and strength. What if that dammed message is true after all? So many lifes and ships lost.” His head sank and his eye’s turned red. Dwight managed to keep his composure, but only just. “I’ll be happy when we jump back. Just 90 second till the Space Fold Drive is charged.” He thought as he looked at the holo pic of his family shinning of his wrist. “Why would anyone leave their home for an unknown destination? How could one message, form an unknown source, cause such fear. Such loss of live. I hope they jumped into Hell itself!” Dwight thought as he slammed his fist against his command chair. Several officers and crewmen turned their heads at the sound. “Engine, Captain. Status of the core.” Dwight called out. “I must remain focused. But dammed I could use some sleep. How long has it been? I didn’t get any since the day before they slaughtered us.” “Captain, core is semi stabile.” “Semi stable? Enlighten me.” “Well it’s hovering just within 1% of the operating safety margin. If it jumps out while we are in transit I don’t know where we will end up.” “Hmm. How long until you can make it safe then?” “With what we have left? Never Captain. Unless we can salvage undamaged batteries from all the debris. Which would be a miracle.” Replied lieutenant-commander Sung, with a fatigued voice. “Then we will jump when the Drive is fully charged, Captain out.” “If we stay here we are dead anyway. Better to risk it then to do nothing.” “Helm, lock in on a Nod in the Olympus system.” “I’ve locked in Captain.” Said Ensign Al Bisha “Good. Then standby to activate the Drive on my mark.” Dwight said as he checked the SFD charge levels, it read 99,91%. He tapped his screen. An habit from his atmo flying days. “Dumb habit. Of course it doesn’t jump you fool. It’s not a pressure gauge.” He put his hands to his face and rubbed his eyes. He sighed softly “I really need some sleep. When we are in the Olympus system I’ll turn in for a quick nap.” “Captain SFD is green.” Called Al Bisha. “Comms, a ship wide call.” “Yes Captain.” The intercom chimed. ++__“People, we have power to jump back home. Think of your loved ones. We will be seeing them shortly. We have survived. And own it to our fallen comrades to carry on. Now man your stations as we jump in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Jump.”__++
“A moment in limbo. It feels like an eternity.”
As the London materialized, alarms sounded. The Comms went haywire. And the battle screen dropped. Captain Dwight Davidson had just enough time to see a flash of energy and say "What the hell is….”
Last edited by Thunderboy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Humanity!

Bazlord101

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 4:34 am

Thunderboy wrote:I think you need to rename this now! ;)
Cheers, Thunder

You're quite right!! Thanks!

And congrats on drawing first literary blood!!

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

Re: Unofficial Writing Competition! Win... SOMETHING!!!

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 12:45 pm

Thank you.
I'm not happy with it yet. So i might still change it a bit. If that's all right
For Humanity!

Bazlord101

Re: Unofficial Writing Competition! Win... SOMETHING!!!

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 6:06 am

Yeah, of course it is! Feel free (same goes for everyone) to edit up until the final submission date. The forum tracks changes anyway, so there should be no issues, and I'm sure we're all pretty relaxed about this.

Cheers!
Next

Return to Fan Writing