It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:41 pm

Fan Writing Comps (Prizes from Green Stuff Industries!)

Post your short stories and novels set in the Dropzone Universe here
Forum rules This part of the forum is for background and world building. While only Hawk Wargames publications are considered 'canonical', this is a space for fiction writers, musings on background lore and ideas on new worlds, areas of the universe and jump off points for armies and campaigns.

Please be respectful of other people's work, and maintain the high level of friendly communication that has always been a hallmark of this Forum's members.

Please also note:

• All content connected to, related to or stemming from any Hawk Wargames publications, Dropzone Commander, Dropfleet Commander or any future Hawk Wargames products remains the property of Hawk Wargames. Any commercial use or gain from any writing or content created from such works is protected under copywrite laws and treaties. It may not be used for commercial gain without express permission from Hawk Wargames; any other commercial use is illegal.

• Hawk Wargames may use all of, part of or any ideas or themes created or used in these forum posts, in any way, for any use, commercial or otherwise. By posting work, writers/originators give their consent for use in any of the above situations, with no further consent needed. If used as such, Hawk Wargames will always seek to inform and gain consent of the writer/originator, however this is not required for Hawk Wargames to proceed with such use.

• Posts in no way constitute an agreement to pay for, provide, or solicit future work from the author/originator. Hawk Wargames does not in any way guarantee further communication, work (paid or unpaid), or any form of agreement for further submissions. By posting in this way, authors/originators have no claim to work for, be endorsed by or be in any way connected to Hawk Wargames, other than being a forum member.
  • Author

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

Re: Fan Writing Comps (Prizes from Green Stuff Industries!)

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 8:04 am

Thank you Lars!
For Humanity!
26th at Autum Invasion 2016

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

Re: Unofficial Writing Competition! (Prize Support from Novu

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 9:15 am

Novus wrote:Green Stuff Industries will be donating support here, too. Not sure what, yet. But there will be a prize!

Thank you again Novus! You have some nice things to choose from in 10mm. Roll a d6 maybe if you are stuck?

Cheers, Thunder
For Humanity!

Bazlord101

PostSat Aug 06, 2016 11:03 am

Big ups for Green Stuff Industries, coming to the party once again!! Thanks, Novus!

Novus

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Bazlord101 wrote:Big ups for Green Stuff Industries, coming to the party once again!! Thanks, Novus!

No problem, guys! Glad folks can find use for the stuff I make.

BTW, my shipping rates have gotten cheaper due to the new service I'm using. Have a look at my 10mm offerings!

https://www.greenstuffindustries.com/store/c6/10mm_Games.html

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

PostTue Aug 09, 2016 7:04 pm

I realy like the 6inch hight stand.
But could make a cool senario with the Array.
(I'm organizing a tournament and those have me thinking of some nice things how many a pack are they?)
Containers are a bit meh. As they dont fit in a condor or albatross....
For Humanity!

Novus

PostWed Aug 10, 2016 4:14 am

Thunderboy wrote:I realy like the 6inch hight stand.
But could make a cool senario with the Array.
(I'm organizing a tournament and those have me thinking of some nice things how many a pack are they?)
Containers are a bit meh. As they dont fit in a condor or albatross....

Yeah, the containers are more for LOS blocking cover and overall environmental detail on a board. Maybe I'll try to get them in a UCM pattern in the near future. Cool! Now I have an excuse to start a UCM army! :D

The array was fun to make. I have two cut and base coated. I just need to paint them up a bit and take some pics. How many do you need? PM me and we can discuss if I can help with your event.

MajorMcNicol

PostSun Aug 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi all! Apologies for being MIA. A few weeks ago my laptop was stolen (out of my hotel room!) and it's been really difficult getting online, especially to this forum. Sorry for not voting last go around. Bazlord, the forum tells me you sent a direct message - maybe about voting? - but that it was deleted. Maybe I didn't sign in in time to read it. Sorry again all.

I'm still in between computers but borrowed a friend's today to check the forum and bang out this story. It's a bit under the word limit but I'm satisfied enough to submit it here!

------

Crowfoot and his compatriot Nelson were both anxious after days of getting into position. They were covered in dirt and soot and fatigue, but they were also feeling the adrenaline, that excitement that always came before a mission's execution.

Soon it would be time. They had finally caught up with Nelson's cousin - also called Nelson - the lead on this mission and a renowned expert with laying det tape. On their way through the tunnel, walking carefully in silence on the aged gravel next to the old tracks, they had seen one of the carriers on its way back to wherever the enemy kept their forces. They could hear it's disquieting hum and see its lead lights long before the craft itself came into view. In hushed silence they laid motionless on the pebbles as the metallic blur cruised pass them, dozens of ribbed segments racing behind the front skimmer. The construct hovered a foot above the ground, but clearly made use of the old monorail track to move quickly, following it directly to its destination. Crowfoot thought the menacing red lights on its front looked like eyes.

The next time they saw one, he knew, it would be heading back the opposite direction - towards the way they came, towards the attack that was planned to start any moment. But this time in its cargo holds would be scores of parasite-controlled host warriors. The Great Enemy. And this time they were going to blow them to hell.

They waited in the darkness, in the dank, stagnant silence, Crowfoot and Nelson and Nelson. The det tape was laid and the switch - a plunger style hand unit - keyed in. They were far enough away to not get caught in the blasts (at least, Nelson was pretty sure they were) but this straight stretch of track would give them enough warning to stop the speeding train. Somewhere out there Crowfoot thought he heard rats skittering through ancient debris. He mused they must be looking for sustenance. He realized he was expecting to hear the attack begin and quickly dismissed the thought; they were deep underground and several kilometers away.

Then he saw within the inky blackness a very faint red light. Was the target coming into view? Or was it a trick the darkness of the tunnel was playing on his eyes? Would they be able to hear or see the carrier first? The light - now four distinct orbs in a cross pattern - seemed to turn towards him, come closer. Then totally disappear.

Crowfoot started to get up into a kneel, when he was frozen by a sound - that terrible, horrifying sound of a true predator - as the four red orbs appeared again, this time blazingly bright and just in front of Nelson, who was farthest up the track.

Screamer.

Nelson died first, cut into pieces by a taloned hand the size of his torso. The other cousin managed to get his sidearm out and fire several magnum rounds into the beast's midsection before the other claw came down. The muzzle flash lit up the tunnel, revealing the sinewy, giant form of the Screamer's armored shell. Crowfoot stumbled backwards, tripping in the gravel and landing hard on his back. The plunger switch fell from his hand and skid out of reach towards the tracks. The noise attracted the attention of the killer, which turned towards him immediately. Behind it, Crowfoot could see more red light coming up the rail. This time it was accompanied by the hum he knew all too well.

Crowfoot rolled and dove after the switch, but the screamer speared a talon through his thigh, pinning him to the rocks. He grunted, yelled out in agony, tried to roll over as the beast loomed over him, its red eyes closing in on his face. The plunger was still out of reach.

The sapper smiled a bloody, smug grin at those lifeless red eyes. "Go to hell," he laughed as the train crossed the auxiliary tripwire they had laid across the rail. The screamer peered back toward the carrier as the first detonation turned the darkness to light.

------

Now to go pick up my copy of reconquest phase ii! I'll try to be better in the forum and keep on eye on it.
instagram.com/whateverimsealingit

Wargaming Plog: https://andygomez.wordpress.com/

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross.

Novus

PostThu Aug 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Finally decided on what I'm going to send the winner. A set of my new structure damage counters...

https://www.greenstuffindustries.com/store/p68/Structure_Damage_Counter%2C_%28Set_of_3%29%2C_Dropzone_Commander.html

Laser cut from Acrylic, fully assembled, and can track up to 30 points of damage. Just turn the outer ring to set the number.

Octavian Lars

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 6:13 am

They look fantastic Novus! Thanks again for prize support!
Brigadier-General of the 4th Legion of Titania
Also, no1 at DzC in elgin academy and my house

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Nice! I saw them in a batrep i believe!
Cheers!
For Humanity!
PreviousNext

Return to Fan Writing