It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:59 am

Practicality of the Broadsword's Design

Post your short stories and novels set in the Dropzone Universe here
Forum rules This part of the forum is for background and world building. While only Hawk Wargames publications are considered 'canonical', this is a space for fiction writers, musings on background lore and ideas on new worlds, areas of the universe and jump off points for armies and campaigns.

Please be respectful of other people's work, and maintain the high level of friendly communication that has always been a hallmark of this Forum's members.

Please also note:

• All content connected to, related to or stemming from any Hawk Wargames publications, Dropzone Commander, Dropfleet Commander or any future Hawk Wargames products remains the property of Hawk Wargames. Any commercial use or gain from any writing or content created from such works is protected under copywrite laws and treaties. It may not be used for commercial gain without express permission from Hawk Wargames; any other commercial use is illegal.

• Hawk Wargames may use all of, part of or any ideas or themes created or used in these forum posts, in any way, for any use, commercial or otherwise. By posting work, writers/originators give their consent for use in any of the above situations, with no further consent needed. If used as such, Hawk Wargames will always seek to inform and gain consent of the writer/originator, however this is not required for Hawk Wargames to proceed with such use.

• Posts in no way constitute an agreement to pay for, provide, or solicit future work from the author/originator. Hawk Wargames does not in any way guarantee further communication, work (paid or unpaid), or any form of agreement for further submissions. By posting in this way, authors/originators have no claim to work for, be endorsed by or be in any way connected to Hawk Wargames, other than being a forum member.
  • Author

Phantasm

Practicality of the Broadsword's Design

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Just yesterday I got my Broadsword tank and it's already painted up, but its size left me wondering just how practical the design would be in a real-life scenario (real life involving jellyfish aliens and whatnot).

While powerful, the Mythslayer railgun is almost as long as a Gladius, and an average tank could easily fit under it if right next to the Broadsword. Given the sheer speed of Scourge grav-tanks and Resistance bikes and ATVs in the lore, this could prove problematic. Especially in the latter case, as the Broadsword has no secondary armament. A swarm of grav-tanks could easily overwhelm even a squadron of Broadswords, as each only puts out one shot in a 'turn' and if that shot misses, then that's the real-life equivalent of nine inches closer those jellyfish tanks can get.

Also, the Broadsword is a very long tank and I don't imagine it being fun trying to turn one in a dense urban environment, especially while under fire. Also there's a picture of one in the phase 2 book where the front section has fallen down a hole in the road. The Broadsword would have to waste time reversing if this happened.
An official advocate of of the UCM Articulated conga line.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

Re: Practicality of the Broadsword's Design

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 10:26 am

Nice to see I’m not the only one thinking about fluff and the practical aspects of the designs.

My personal problem child is the Ferrum - a towering construct, difficult to hide, with an awful center of gravity and probably unable to cross slopes/bumps..

Compared to the Ferrum – the 2-part main hull is a huge improvement and should allow the tank to traverse difficult ground.

The huge gun seems to be designed for open areas with open fields of fire. I can see the Broadsword advancing in a throng of smaller vehicles and infantry that keep smaller enemy units at bay, while the Broadsword targets pesky huge targets, like walkers and command units.

I would have liked an addition to the rules that makes the ability of the huge gun to smash through shields and heavy armor stand out more…

Fluffwise: In the typical DzC urban setting the Broadsword seems very one-sided and vulnerable. It can pretty much only keep major roads clear and a narrow street or even a very sturdy lamp post should render it unable to traverse the gun.

+ as you already said the length of the vehicle makes it pretty much impossible to turn and limits it’s movement to forward and reverse.

In a real life scenario this tank would only make sense as a rolling fortress with swarms of other vehicles around. Somewhat like a battering ram.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Phantasm

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 10:36 am

Ljevid wrote:Nice to see I’m not the only one thinking about fluff and the practical aspects of the designs.
I would have liked an addition to the rules that makes the ability of the huge gun to smash through shields and heavy armor stand out more…

It's still just a more powerful railgun projectile, so it'd be vulnerable to countermeasures. Now, if we were to talk about something much more powerful, say the Shaltari Particle Cannon... *grumbles about unfair Shaltari*

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 3:00 pm

My pet peeve on the Broadsword is the asymmetrical turret. Love the design. It looks great! Not very practical. Even railguns have recoil. Such large and powerful railgun would have a hella recoil. On a asymmetrical turret it means it would turn while firing.

On the Death Fridge side of things:
crawler_tour2_cover.jpg
Crawler
crawler_tour2_cover.jpg (77.77 KiB) Viewed 1189 times

Awful center of gravity?

Cheers,
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

Phantasm

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 4:40 pm

wowskyguy wrote:My pet peeve on the Broadsword is the asymmetrical turret. Love the design. It looks great! Not very practical. Even railguns have recoil. Such large and powerful railgun would have a hella recoil. On a asymmetrical turret it means it would turn while firing.

Cheers,

The Falcon B entry mentions them being 'gyroscopically-stabilised' or some pseudoscientific thing, which would probably be applied to much of the UCM's other technology. But I think we've come to a conclusion that the Broadsword definitely not work in real life.

Return to Fan Writing