It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:17 am

Inter system communication, phase 2 spoilers

Post your short stories and novels set in the Dropzone Universe here
Forum rules This part of the forum is for background and world building. While only Hawk Wargames publications are considered 'canonical', this is a space for fiction writers, musings on background lore and ideas on new worlds, areas of the universe and jump off points for armies and campaigns.

Please be respectful of other people's work, and maintain the high level of friendly communication that has always been a hallmark of this Forum's members.

Please also note:

• All content connected to, related to or stemming from any Hawk Wargames publications, Dropzone Commander, Dropfleet Commander or any future Hawk Wargames products remains the property of Hawk Wargames. Any commercial use or gain from any writing or content created from such works is protected under copywrite laws and treaties. It may not be used for commercial gain without express permission from Hawk Wargames; any other commercial use is illegal.

• Hawk Wargames may use all of, part of or any ideas or themes created or used in these forum posts, in any way, for any use, commercial or otherwise. By posting work, writers/originators give their consent for use in any of the above situations, with no further consent needed. If used as such, Hawk Wargames will always seek to inform and gain consent of the writer/originator, however this is not required for Hawk Wargames to proceed with such use.

• Posts in no way constitute an agreement to pay for, provide, or solicit future work from the author/originator. Hawk Wargames does not in any way guarantee further communication, work (paid or unpaid), or any form of agreement for further submissions. By posting in this way, authors/originators have no claim to work for, be endorsed by or be in any way connected to Hawk Wargames, other than being a forum member.
  • Author

Samael

Inter system communication, phase 2 spoilers

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 7:03 pm

I thought I would ask here, since this is where we work out how the universe works.

In phase 2 it says that communication between star systems is done by using a starships fold space drive to open a tiny portal though which the communication is sent. So how were the scourge able to communicate with the UCM high council. They would need to know the coordinates of Aurum to send the message.

Octavian Lars

Re: Inter system communication, phase 2 spoilers

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 7:12 pm

Don't they effectively confirm they know where the UCM planets are by attacking ferrum?
Brigadier-General of the 4th Legion of Titania
Also, no1 at DzC in elgin academy and my house

Samael

PostThu Aug 25, 2016 7:22 pm

True, but from the UCM. Point of view they didn't know that ferrum was about to be attacked, yet they were happy to receive communication from the scourge.

I am assuming that the scourge fold spaced the communication to a ship in (say) Eden, that signalled a UCM ship in system that then bounced it back to Aurum.

The other option is that the rift allows the communication to spread through fold space and sensors can pick it up, an omnidirectional signal.

Ruarl

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 6:29 am

The signal could have been picked up by the UCM in Ferrum.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 7:39 am

I believe that the signal was directed at Aurum's foldspace node from the Scourge as they approached Ferrum. The Scourge, in that case, know where at least Aurum and Ferrum are, but the logical first target that they want to overwhelm is Ferrum because of its industrial capacity and the vital importance of that to the war effort for the UCM.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

ZombiePirate

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 9:12 am

Actually, all we know is how the UCM foldspace comms work. Who's to say that the Scourge don't employ different methods.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 2:18 am

I think Foldspace works the same for everyone. But I could be wrong....
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Sebageddon

Hawk Talon

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 4:41 am

the science is the same but to be fair we don't know how each race utilises it, or how each race accesses foldspace, or how each races comms tech works.
The mighty median :-) (25th out of 50)

Return to Fan Writing