It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 am

The shock of victory.

Post your short stories and novels set in the Dropzone Universe here
Forum rules This part of the forum is for background and world building. While only Hawk Wargames publications are considered 'canonical', this is a space for fiction writers, musings on background lore and ideas on new worlds, areas of the universe and jump off points for armies and campaigns.

Please be respectful of other people's work, and maintain the high level of friendly communication that has always been a hallmark of this Forum's members.

Please also note:

• All content connected to, related to or stemming from any Hawk Wargames publications, Dropzone Commander, Dropfleet Commander or any future Hawk Wargames products remains the property of Hawk Wargames. Any commercial use or gain from any writing or content created from such works is protected under copywrite laws and treaties. It may not be used for commercial gain without express permission from Hawk Wargames; any other commercial use is illegal.

• Hawk Wargames may use all of, part of or any ideas or themes created or used in these forum posts, in any way, for any use, commercial or otherwise. By posting work, writers/originators give their consent for use in any of the above situations, with no further consent needed. If used as such, Hawk Wargames will always seek to inform and gain consent of the writer/originator, however this is not required for Hawk Wargames to proceed with such use.

• Posts in no way constitute an agreement to pay for, provide, or solicit future work from the author/originator. Hawk Wargames does not in any way guarantee further communication, work (paid or unpaid), or any form of agreement for further submissions. By posting in this way, authors/originators have no claim to work for, be endorsed by or be in any way connected to Hawk Wargames, other than being a forum member.
  • Author

Garbutt

The shock of victory.

PostSun Oct 16, 2016 8:03 pm

So I was this thinking earlier today about the UCM as a society, and the following idea came together...

The UCM as a culture, a civilization are entirely based around a single philosophy, a single goal - the Reconquest... to amplify on that a little: the reclamation of the lost Cradle Worlds and Earth, combined with the destruction of the Scourge. Nothing less is acceptable.
This is a philosophy of total war - the UCM has spent its entire existence working towards this one goal, and has built their entire society around it - their economy, this history, their cultural identity...

So my question is this - could the UCM as a society survive victory? If they actually manage to achieve the Reconquest... would their society fall apart as the unifying drive that bought them to this point suddenly disappeared?
Would victory actually doom the UCM? :)
Making other players look good since 2014

THEMONSTER

Re: The shock of victory.

PostSat Oct 22, 2016 7:27 pm

Well, there's always the PHR, thay could be the primary target after the Scourge are gone. Then there's always the possibility of rebellion from former resistance factions, or even an outright UCM civil war between those who want a new government centered on earth and those who want to keep everything under colonial jurisdiction.

B1ollanT

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 3:32 am

And don't forget the Shaltari! If it's true the they directed the scourge against the humans then they obviously have plans for them.

Phantasm

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 6:55 pm

The threat of such an invasion possibly happening again (even if it doesn't) would be a massive driving force for the preservation of the UCM.
An official advocate of of the UCM Articulated conga line.

ElectricPaladin

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 7:12 pm

I agree that the UCM might very well face some serious internal upheaval after a victory over the Scourge, possibly to the point that it fractures into several nations. The UCM is basically a military-fascist regime with some nods to democracy - those kinds of governments don't last without outside pressure. Some of the fragments might remain independent, others join the PHR or become protectorates of the Shaltari. That said, assuming that the conflict doesn't turn too violent, the UCM fragments might maintain enough military might to remain independent from the Scourge.
Space Hedgehog

Dheran

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 10:34 pm

I have not read the DZC books and their fluff, but from what I can gather from DFC book, UCM is very much like the government straight from Starship Troopers. The only thing missing is the civil (read: military) service requirement for the right of vote. And that government existed before the bugs and the skinnies if I recall correctly.
It's rather easy for militarist governments to choose next mission, next foe to defend from, next land that rightfully belongs to them, so I doubt there will be much upheaval as long as the government provides bread and circuses.

If anything UCM could fall under its own weight, but it is way to small for that currently.

Phantasm

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Dheran wrote:I have not read the DZC books and their fluff, but from what I can gather from DFC book, UCM is very much like the government straight from Starship Troopers. The only thing missing is the civil (read: military) service requirement for the right of vote. And that government existed before the bugs and the skinnies if I recall correctly.
It's rather easy for militarist governments to choose next mission, next foe to defend from, next land that rightfully belongs to them, so I doubt there will be much upheaval as long as the government provides bread and circuses.

If anything UCM could fall under its own weight, but it is way to small for that currently.

Except that the UCM exists because of the aliens (in this case the Scourge). Basically Scourge invade Earth and Cradle Worlds, human survivors form UCM, UCM gets revenge.
An official advocate of of the UCM Articulated conga line.

Dheran

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 12:05 am

Phantasm wrote:
Dheran wrote:I have not read the DZC books and their fluff, but from what I can gather from DFC book, UCM is very much like the government straight from Starship Troopers. The only thing missing is the civil (read: military) service requirement for the right of vote. And that government existed before the bugs and the skinnies if I recall correctly.

Except that the UCM exists because of the aliens (in this case the Scourge). Basically Scourge invade Earth and Cradle Worlds, human survivors form UCM, UCM gets revenge.

I get that, it's in the book ;)

Return to Fan Writing