It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:30 am

The hubris of Fate

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Fate

The hubris of Fate

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Good evening, mortals... lets try again.

Greetings, minio... no

Hello.

Jokes aside, this will hopefully become a blog covering the self destruction of a perfectionist trying his hand at warfare figurines for the first time... I glued togheter some models as a kid but I'm not counting that.

So, lets dive right into it. Around new years I ordered a large PHR starter with a case, had some misshap with missing pieces and stuff but that has all been sorted now and I've finally gotten around to assemblying some of my models after a lot of research and planning.

I'm intending to magnetize my models at the torso and docking connectors and I will be ordering magnets in the days to come... more on that in the future.

As of right now I've assembled the first two Neptunes and having a touch of trouble with the third, I've been using a Cyanoacrylate glue, works great, but it seems I only get one shot at sticking two pieces togheter.
The glue sets in about a second and is pretty solid, I can still pull the pieces apart or adjust them slightly, trouble is, once you pull the pieces apart you can't stick them back togheter again as it seems that the glue has no effect on itself.
That's what happened to me since the neptune was slightly warped somewhere (only noticable in the fact that the tail and body didn't sit right togheter). I've tried applying more glue, letting the glue dry and shave/file it off and finally I tried cleaning the surface by rubbing it with paper drenched in acetone.

Now I have a model that needs some filling out with greenstuff /putty for the pieces to fit togheter. Plus that I'm going to try a two-component epoxy glue... anyone tried using epoxy on the resin?

neptune-misshap.jpg
neptune-misshap.jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 3302 times

And another question I have. What kind of prep-work should be made on the metal soldiers before priming?

KDLynch

Re: The hubris of Fate

PostSun Jan 27, 2013 5:32 pm

I haven't tried a 2part epoxy on them, so no answer for that. I've used brown stuff (a slightly harder curing version of green stuff, easier to sand if needed) for gap filling.

On the infantry, I used used a tiny fine grit file to gently remove the small amounts of flash, rinsed off with water & touch of soap, let dry, and primed. I left them on the sprue to make for easier painting.
"what color did you use, red with a black wash?"

ozpaulr

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 am

I have used 2-part epoxy on a few tricky models. It seems to work fine - no problems so far.
It also has its advantages in filling a join where there would be a unwanted gap when using super glue.

Fate

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 1:16 pm

WiP1.jpg
WiP1.jpg (43.72 KiB) Viewed 3249 times

Well, I picked up some greenstuff and Humbrol model filler yesterday and have been dabbing away, a lot of dimples on the fliers engines, most in the same places.
I've also realized I need to pick up a couple of smaller brushes. A size four flat was a wee bit to big... took a while to figure out how to work with the filler for best result (3 tries to be exact) and in the end it wasn't entirely neccesary since as ozpaulr stated, the epoxy filled the remaining gap quite well, now I have a bit of work ahead of me smoothing out the epoxy without damaging the model more(the epoxy is quite a bit tougher than the resin) and hoping the primer bites on it in the end.

WiP2.jpg
WiP2.jpg (39.11 KiB) Viewed 3249 times

Does anyone have suggestion how to build up the barreltips on the Athena, a lot of those tiny details had ended in bubbles (and more of the same on other models). Just take a very small brush and dab some liquid greenstuff and hope it doesn't fall off when i try to scrape it into shape?

Also, how did you go about attaching the legs on the walkers? I get the feeling they will be very hard to get right.

KDLynch

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 3:14 pm

I don't have any PHR on hand to see the right size of the barrels, but my initial try would be using a bit of wire/paperclip/etc to create the barrels with glued/epoxied into place
"what color did you use, red with a black wash?"

Shunter

PostTue Jan 29, 2013 6:40 pm

My Athena barrels were the same (and the missiles) the ends were missing caused by bubbles.

Although a bit annoying, I couldn't be bothered to fix them (or have the time and skill) so just painted them as is. When gaming you can't really tell.

Nearly every toe of all my walkers (type 1 and 2) also had a bit missing/bubble. One was really bad so i actually did put some green stuff in its place.

Fate

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 11:29 am

So, been a while since I've posted, I havent had too much energy or peace to sit down and work on the models, taking more time now though. As for magnetizing, I got my ass in gear and ordered from back to base IX (fun thing, the magnets were cheaper than the dealer I found in sweden and the postage from australia was cheaper as well :D. No toll costs either ^^

I ordered some extra 2x1 mm magnets, togheter with my order of 2x2 and 3x1 mm magnets.

Now that I have the magnets I decided to take an alternate route to wookiehairs suggestion of using thicker magnets in the heavy units, I'm going back and putting the 2X2 magnets in the dropships, removing all the previous magnets. Getting the magnets out was easy (at least for the first unit i tried as an impulse) and the mounting points have ample room to dig down the extra mm for the next magnet.

Then we'll see how I go about with the heavy units (the radar dome on the zeus might be iffy with a 2x2 magnet, but we'll see...)

going to write up a quick guide to how i went and magnetised the units, was pretty easy once I figured out the tools and what to do and not to do.

and on antoher, yet similar note. should i bother magnetising the weapons? thats 4 extra magnets per unit...

Efoe

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Nice! Keep it up.

also remember that you don't need two magnets if you
take some small metal parts instead.

Fate

New color scheme

PostFri May 24, 2013 9:26 am

Sorry that I haven't done the magnetising write up yet. I've been busy'ish. I have however had time to try and discard my colour scheme, I came to the conclusion that I'm not good enough at painting and don't have the right equipment to do that much masking with any great success.
I also had time to come up with a new one and in the process I've found the answer to why PHR are so slow and so good at taking hits...
image.jpg
image.jpg (122.01 KiB) Viewed 2905 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (116.55 KiB) Viewed 2905 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (111.89 KiB) Viewed 2905 times

It's because they've made their walkers out of cast iron!

I had some fun with drybrushing and managed to get a fun effect where the units look very different depending on the angle and amount of light that hits them, the same surface could either look nearly matte black or like brushed metal and everything in between.

welshfurey

PostFri May 24, 2013 8:08 pm

I like it dude and the cast iron comment made me laugh out loud.
Rambling the ancient art of legal trespassing.
Next

Return to Blogs and Tutorials