It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 am

The hubris of Fate

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

GcFlash

Re: The hubris of Fate

PostFri May 24, 2013 9:59 pm

It reminds me a lot of the mechs from the tv series Falling Skies,

which I approve of, I would be tempted to offset the cast iron look with a cleanly painted section (maybe for squad colouring etc). But a very cool look!

korocite

PostSat May 25, 2013 2:01 am

Nice effect! What colours have you used?

Steve

Fate

PostWed May 29, 2013 10:39 pm

So, here's the process so far.

For magnetizing I've used 2x2 mm magnets in the dropships, cut off the tiny little tip of the docking clamp and mark the centre with an stitching awl, then i drilled with a 1mm drill first followed by the 2 mm drill until i got the correct depth, I measured all depths using a Vernier caliper (love that tool btw...). Towards the end i was proficient enough to use my own judgement to get spot on ;)

Once I had the depths I put the magnet on the back of a 3 mm drill bit (smooth surface, bigger than the hole) a dab of glue on the tip of the magnet and then inserted it, sliding the drillbit off sideways as to not pull the magnet with it and ensure that the magnet was flush.

As for the land units I used 2mm dia x1 mm magnets for the type 1's and transports and 2x2 for the type 2's. Same procedure, you have a tiny denture in the centre already, use that with the 1mm drill then follow with the 2 mm drill, control depth with the caliper. Verify the polarity vs the dropship by ensuring that the end of the magnet that goes into the land unit doesn't attract with the dropship (and vice versa for the remaining dropships). Add a dab of glue and down the hole.

For the waists it was easy, a pair of 3x1 mm magnets, cut off the peg that you glue into the waist flush off and replace it with a magnet facing the same polarity as the one on top of the unit (you'll find that it should align itself if you just drop it on the unit) and a magnet in the waist of the legs, don't even think I had to drill.

The transports turrets were the trickiest, cutting off the peg to the turret itself was enough, but you had to drill into the unit and the magnets fit just before you got through to the other end.

Now, on to the painting. Undercoat of Tamiya fine primer (white). Followed by VMC Black in 1-2 thin, watered down coats.

unpaintedcut.jpg
It's black!
unpaintedcut.jpg (99.59 KiB) Viewed 1666 times

And now, 2-3 hours later with some GW Ledbelcher, VMC hammered copper and VMC electric blue in the engines.

Above
painted over cut.jpg
painted over cut.jpg (176.37 KiB) Viewed 1666 times

And below
painted under cut.jpg
painted under cut.jpg (157.52 KiB) Viewed 1666 times

I played with some washes on the copper parts (which incidentally is the next step for the entire figure, but only after I do some touch-up painting) I used a Formula P3 brown ink followed by a watered down GW Nuln oil. The end result is very red so maybe i should've tried something else. I think I'll try to drybrush it a bit with the copper color to see if i get the highlights+ the coppery sheen back.

I also feel like I should do something more with the blue but I don't know what exactly. I also have to figure out what colors to use on optics etc, red would look good but feels so cliché. Suggestions?

Sorry for the image scales, bit tired and feeling lazy...

welshfurey

PostWed May 29, 2013 11:50 pm

The model is very dark so anything will work for the optics but i might go for an ice blue.
Rambling the ancient art of legal trespassing.

Fate

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 6:44 pm

*Chases out some tumbleweeds*

I've been lazy with both painting and with posting, but time for an update, and i hope for some input on some things. Two dropships have been painted up. And before i commit more time to them i want to know how strict the three color rule for certain tournaments are, or rather how large a every surface respective color must cover.

Now, pictures! Would these pass the 3 color requirement I wonder? And what improvements can be done?
IMG_0064-resize.jpg
IMG_0064-resize.jpg (82.76 KiB) Viewed 963 times

I've been gunning for it to look like they once were matte black but has been through some harsh conditions, Hence the drybrushing in a single direction to create striations.

IMG_0069-resize.jpg
IMG_0069-resize.jpg (100.16 KiB) Viewed 963 times

This one is way to shiny and needs a layer of matte varnish.
IMG_0074-resize.jpg
IMG_0074-resize.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 963 times

And here's why I posted in reality, been working on a bit of a side project but I feel that something is missing on the base, maybe high tuft of grass (a GW basing tuft or some water effect?).

I know that the edge needs some work, and the center will be filled with epoxy and painted up once the tree is in place.
IMG_0070-resize.jpg
IMG_0070-resize.jpg (97.62 KiB) Viewed 963 times

I've been gunning for a tree popping up through the asphalt, i know its a bit coarse and will probably switch over to painted sandpaper for the asphalt on the next one.

As for size, An PHR walker will just fit under the trees, the first batch ended up a bit short as they are about 8cm tall, which translates to 14m scaled, I wanted it between 20 and 25 m, if i make more i'll scale them up accordingly (and make some in between the sizes)

Here's the tree and base togheter.
IMG_0073-resize.jpg
IMG_0073-resize.jpg (116.97 KiB) Viewed 963 times

it needs another layer of flock, but I have yet to run out and buy glue for it, used ordinary wood glue that i watered out on the ground and hairspray on the tree, would have worked if it was a stationary setpiece but since its mobile I found that i lost the flock as I moved it around and shook it so I need some spray glue to hold it togheter.

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostFri Mar 06, 2015 11:27 am

Awesome
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

PostFri Mar 06, 2015 2:32 pm

Very nice!
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

Daniel36

Hawk Talon

PostSat Mar 07, 2015 8:51 am

That is real pretty. And welcome back to your own blog! :D
Officially Holland's #4 Dropzone Commander Player!
Now with added Moderator Powers!
Previous

Return to Blogs and Tutorials