Abrusio's painting plog

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Abrusio's painting plog

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 6:47 am

Very pretty!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 8:58 am

Superb...

My favorite are the blue Scourge. Metallic and blue is a really nice combo!

Your blue reminds me a little of blue jade - very pretty.

Your Shaltari should have made first place - due to all the work you invested. Purple and fire is an awesome combo, great gradient on the fire and a very good idea with the "fire circles" on the motherships. Makes them very vibrant.

I think the Cores need a little touch up. Blue and purple are very close together on the color wheel and it doesn't pop enough at the moment. A few options would be to go with green, or paint them like blue jewels (Eldar) and use a different varnish with a deep shine.

I like your bases. Maybe a different varnish?

I once painted a marble construct and experimented with different gloss varnishes (I only had Vallejo and GW at the time).
The winner was actually a water effect. (Vallejo Still Water) since it gave the deepest shine. I still use it for jewels and stuff like that.

My bases were painted with a Revell gloss varnish - I like it, but it attracts dust like a mofu. I have literally no idea why, but I leave them half an hour in an otherwise clean room on a clean desk and when I'm back they look like a cat slept on them...

Great job Abrusio - I hope your family is doing well
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Abrusio

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 9:30 am

Thank you for your comments and kind words !

Family is doing well, my daughter learned to walk so she can easily grab miniatures from her dad's desk ! That's why I have to be extremely careful when she's around and I am painting :)

The blues on the Scourge is dark prussian blue - blue green - white (vallejo model color/model air). There is a lot of work on those Scourge ships to get those transitions, it's really tricky to go from dark blue to almost white on a very little surface (for me at least). I think I spent at least 1 hour just to get those transitions on each cruiser !

Scourge metallics is just vallejo aluminium (one of my favorites), and citadel nuln oil gloss wash, on a gloss varnish coat. It works really well in helping the wash flows without tainting the colors.

The Shaltari I am very proud of the final result. I chose the final colors after testing a few things : initialy I really wanted to do a green shaltari fleet but I wasn't sold on my first try, so I just chose one of the color I used the less in the past : purple. My wife was overjoyed when I finished the first batch that were nicely transitionned from purple to pink to white (girl's colors). Then I decided to add yellow on the fins to have the 2 complementary colors side by side, and it works really well. A couple of people on the DFC facebook group did almost the same color choices but I could swear we worked without knowing of each other projects ! :)

Here is my first try at shaltari :

For the blue "canopies" or "cores". I won't change it now, it would be too difficult, especially on some of the cruisers where the wings come in the way (fleet carrier). But I may supergloss them with the vallejo still water effect. It may help them pop more.

Also I need to finish most of those ships as there are still a few hundred of dots to paint in bright green :roll:

For the bases, I think I varnished them with vallejo polyurethane gloss varnish, I don't know how still water effect would work in my airbrush...

minamoto

PostFri Jan 27, 2017 3:16 pm

I almost start crying when looking on your purple shaltari, for me they do look perfect, Especially the motherships with the inner yellow ring and the fleet carrier! All of the minis are very well executed, not so sold on the gate but still a great choice of colours.

Like my forespeakers the scourge are also very nice, the vivid colour on them is spot on!
https://gunsandwaffles.net/ - hobby source, forum and a gentlemen`s club

Abrusio

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 12:52 pm

thank you, I am not sure my work deserves that much praises, but I do my best !

The voidgate is not how I paint them, just a test subject ;)

I finished a space station this weekend and I am now working on the Shaltari battlecruiser, that thing is a beast ! I should have some pictures soon-ish :)

Abrusio

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 10:29 am

Latest painting, some UCM and the princess liner

LiamK

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Looks like a good entry for the painting competition ;)

Abrusio

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 am

As soon as I do some finishing details, I'll post some pictures there :)

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 9:29 am

Great work(!!) - I officially hate you now. I just moved past the step where pre-shading the panel lines with an airbrush would have been possible. Looking at your battleship - I had to realize how awesome that would have been :cry: :cry:

Damn you and my uncreative mind. :|
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Abrusio

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 9:38 am

For you sanity it may be best to not have done it, ;) I almost had a nerve break when some red sputter got on the white after I was done with it !

I find using some colors are tricky with my 0.2 needle, paint is often too thin or too thick. Of course those colors are whites and greys...
PreviousNext

Return to Blogs and Tutorials