It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Ljevid's showcase and tutorials WIP

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

Re: Ljevid's showcase and tutorials WIP

PostSat Jun 18, 2016 2:57 pm

L. Sabia Byrne wrote:Nice work Joe. It looks excellent! Show us more dereliction!!!!! :D

Hmm... I COULD make a picture of my working space right now - but that is nothing for the faint-hearted :?

(+Hay-fever/violent sneezing and open flock containers...)

Thanks mate - really looking forward to your cyber/tron-PHR :D
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Nodri

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 11:45 pm

Well done on the building. I think the extra effort you put in on the structural damage really paid off. I think this is the first abandoned version of a Darkops building that I've seen and it works very well.
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Great looking building! That was painted with a lot of love and attention!

Cheers, Thunder
For Humanity!
26th at Autum Invasion 2016

L. Sabia Byrne

PostSun Jul 31, 2016 3:48 pm

Hey Joe,
Ive started putting up some photos of my Tron PHR. Check my blog and comment mate. Im about 2 months away from entering them into the competition but they are finally getting finished off! :D
You're going to need a MUCH bigger gun my friend!

http://brushesandbayonets.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.solarismedia.tv

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostTue Sep 06, 2016 11:57 am

I usually don’t post battle reports here,
but this specific one had so many cinematic situations…

Well, here it is:

It was a 4 player game, 1000 points each.
Team 1: UCM & UCM (Bistromatic)
Team 2: PHR (Ljevid) & Scourge

I don’t know if the other two are on the forum and – if yes – which names they use.

I can’t recall the name of the scenario, but I believe it is one of the new ones.
We had 5 Focal Points. One in each table quarter + one in the middle.

On right side (my point of view), we had 2 FP in buildings (Armor 8, 30 HP)
The center FP was also in a building (Armor 8, 40 HP) - only one entrance in the front.
The two FP on the left were in the open.

The UCM field a level 2 and a level 3 commander, PHR & Scourge two level 2 commanders (important for later).
We all rolled initiative, added the rolls and command lvl. for the team initiative and compared results. The team initiative was supposed to speed things up – so you had 2 activations per side, then the next one and so on…

The armies were all pretty much all-rounder armies. I personally would have preferred a objective based game with my army and our (Team 2) demolition potential was quite low.
One of the UCM armies was had a lot of armor (Sabres, Scimitars and Rapiers) - but no “special units” like a Ferrum, Phoenix or other nasties – pretty straightforward.

I will leave out the details and focus on some of the special moments.

Round One – the armies enter the board.

Well and then – this happened

From this point on Team two had 3 command points less and subsequently lost all initiative rolls. The game seemed to be lost then and there. + Team 2 only had half as many Command Cards to play.

A small hope arose when one of the UCM forces lost it’s entire infantry contingent in the beginning of round two to one AA attack – but see for yourself:

This pretty much ended the possibility of conquering the center building/FP for the UCM. Since the rest was unable to cope with the Scourge warriors and Destroyers inside.

Another extremely cinematic effect was the indestructible PHR command group (Zeus & Odin), which absorbed an incredible amount of damage without as much as a scratch… (Chuck Norris must be a Steel Dragons - Councillor)

+ They were directly responsible for the destruction of 4 to 5 Sabres and 2 Scimitars (which cleared a FP in one of the UCM zones)

There were many very exciting and cinematic moments in the game.

In the end the UCM held one FP and contested the center FP + Bistromatic made some beautiful moves to contest the center and made a heroical effort to contest the FP in the Scourge quarter.

"Sir, couldn't we just embark, fly to the next building and then disembark?"
"THIS IS FASTER!!"

There was also the near annihilation of my Valkyries by an incredible amount of machinegun and other shots (20+) that were poured into the ruin they were hiding in. Sadly I forgot that this building had only armor 4 and was not the best place to be with that many machineguns around... (No picture - too exciting)

The Scourge literally shrugged off the loss of their commander and not only defended their FP (uncontested), but also conquered and held the center building with the FP (contested).

The PHR was able to defend their FP (uncontested) and conquered one of the UCM FP (uncontested) with a last round infantry insertion and were able to destroy the 2 Scimitars parked next to it.

I think due to several beautiful last minute moves of Bistromatic’s UCM it could have been quite close or even a last minute win – but the capture of the one UCM FP made that hopeless.

After Action Review:

I had the fortune of fighting with 3 very able generals and there were no blatant mistakes… So, what turned the tide after the round one loss of the Scourge commander and Team Two losing all initiatives?

I think 60% of it was luck on our part/bad luck on the UCM’s / Bistromatic’s part. The fact that my PHR command group made 100% of all passive saves was just incredible… The sheer amount of damage potential this group swallowed up - would have wreaked havoc on the rest of Team Two’s armies.

Bistromatic made several potentially deadly maneuvers – that (sadly/luckily) failed to deliver, because he botched several very important rolls.

The other 40% were commitment to the mission. I think that (maybe due to frustration) a lot of effort, shots and material were dumped into the destruction of the PHR command group.

This not only proved futile, but I believe it was also unnecessary.

The two models (Odin, Zeus) were only able to hold one FP and maybe punish some of the units holding one of the UCM FP – but that’s it.

In hindsight the UCM should have just avoided those two, should have focused on annihilating the Scourge and holding their own FPs (the map layout was a little flawed – since one of the UCM FP was nearly unassailable and provided perfect cover for two Kodiaks and the Ferrum) – Team Two would have certainly lost!

In the end it was only a friendly game – In a tournament Bistromatic should seriously consider to pay his girlfriend a flight from Canada to Germany so she can roll for him (made a huge difference last time) :D

Thanks for an awesome game – to two more than worthy opponents and an awesome teammate :!:
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

PostTue Sep 06, 2016 6:36 pm

It was a great game and a great weekend, i had a lot of fun. Thanks for the report!

In hindsight i definitely still need to work on my target priority, i'll definitely try to get more practice games in :D

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostTue Sep 06, 2016 7:25 pm

Bistromatic wrote:It was a great game and a great weekend, i had a lot of fun. Thanks for the report!

In hindsight i definitely still need to work on my target priority, i'll definitely try to get more practice games in :D

good plan ;-)
And nice way of reporting a game... !

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 10:26 am

"Well, at least the bases are done"
:?

First off - I like the bases by Hawk. I don't know if that makes me part of a minority - but they work well for me and I decided to try to make them look good.

While looking for ideas I stumbled over SamuliS blue PHR and instantly fell in love with his (also) blue bases (his ships are great too btw.).

Since my Scourge will be red and I'm a strong believer in the color wheel and complementary colors - I chose green for the bases. I tried green on the ships themselves - but it just didn't look right.

More to come soon... Hopefully
Last edited by Ljevid on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abrusio

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 10:32 am

I like your bases ! I tried something similar but I really struggled with the colors I were using at the moment (also greens). It was vallejo polyurethane basic green, and vallejo game air livery green. I achieved something not too bad for the time I spent on it I guess.

Now red Scourge... I really want to see your ship's paintjob ! (my Scourge is blue) :)

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Very nice, i hope i'll get to seen both bases and ships soon. :D
PreviousNext

Return to Blogs and Tutorials