It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:09 am

Ljevid's showcase and tutorials WIP

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

L. Sabia Byrne

Re: Ljevid's showcase and tutorials WIP

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 5:45 am

I cant see any pictures Joe. They are just coming up as Stop Signs or Forbidden signs (depending on which country you are in)

Are the pics from your last post still in the thread? :|
You're going to need a MUCH bigger gun my friend!

http://brushesandbayonets.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.solarismedia.tv

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 8:28 am

L. Sabia Byrne wrote:I cant see any pictures Joe. They are just coming up as Stop Signs or Forbidden signs (depending on which country you are in)

Are the pics from your last post still in the thread? :|

@L. Sabia Byrne
That's weird. Especially since the other picures are still there. I renewed the link, but I'll have an eye on that.

Bistromatic wrote:Very nice, i hope i'll get to seen both bases and ships soon. :D

@Bistromatic

I hope so too :lol:

Abrusio wrote:I like your bases ! I tried something similar but I really struggled with the colors I were using at the moment (also greens). It was vallejo polyurethane basic green, and vallejo game air livery green. I achieved something not too bad for the time I spent on it I guess.

Now red Scourge... I really want to see your ship's paintjob ! (my Scourge is blue) :)

@Abrusio
Thanks mate :D

I'll comment on your (very pretty) ships in your thread.
I still have a problem with my varnish - I spent an abhorrent amount of money on varnishes, but can't seem to find one that desn't destroy or alter the sheen I achieved. I don't feel like going without varnish, because it is supposed to be a demo fleet.
Last week I thought I found the right one, ordered it and they mistakenly sent the matte version. :cry:
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 am

Finally and only with 1 Day to spare (before our 1st training event for the Tactica) the Blood Swarm is ready to strike… (it is still WiP – but ready for use)

The idea for the color scheme is actually by Andy Chambers (“He who is to be praised”). Saw it, fell in love with it, copied it – done.

The name is my idea – that Andy Chambers (“Him, from whom all blessed ideas flow”) named his fleet “Blood Fish” is a coincidence – but something with “blood” is probably a natural choice.

At first I only planned to implement a small part of his color scheme. I had some lovely metallics and wanted to combine that with a nice color. I first used gold and red and ended up with… Ironman … Funny how I didn’t see that coming.

There are some similarities and differences to Andy Chambers (“he who is worthy of our admiration”) Blood Fish

I also used Tamiy Clear Red, but I applied it with an Airbrush, which gives you a smoother surface and a more consistent coloration.

(WARNING: Tamiya Clear Red is very, very poisonous (+ poisonous fumes). If you use it with an airbrush on an entire fleet you will sit in a cloud of nearly invisible droplets that are harmful to eyes, lungs and skin. I have sensitive lungs and used a half mask with chemical filters, eye protection, rubber gloves and long clothing. This is not my idea, but a recommendation by Tamiya themselves)

Before applying the Clear Red I sprayed the models with a gold color - it really helps the red to “pop” more.

To be precise: Black primer -> GW Retributor Armor Spray-> Wash with Nuln Oil Gloss -> Airbrush Tamiya Clear Red -> Pick out some details + engines with metallics -> Gloss Varnish (Warning only 1 out of 5 varnishes I tried actually preserved the awesome Tamiya Clear Red shine-the rest destroyed it) Black Eyes with white dot and water effect instead of gloss varnish -> Blue to White engine effect + OSL (not on the pictures I only finished that last night)

Black Eyes – I will keep the eyes black. I experimented with different colors, because I wanted to include a different color – but it turned out it only looked good on paper. Even with the “pretty” experiments – the models lost a lot of their threatening appearance I was so keen to preserve.

A last difference is that all big ships and groups of smaller ones will get a distinct black pattern. That way I can distinguish between them and give them more personality (I will probably redo at least my first test ship because the pattern is lost on the finished model)

That’s it. I hope you like it :D

*Edit: Google Pictures and this forum seem to have some issues - I can see the pics on the desktop but not always on my phone - weird :(
Last edited by Ljevid on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Abrusio

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 10:05 am

The ships looks nice but it is very hard to see them on the black background as they are of a similar color...

But I saw Andy Chambers ships on FB and I found the idea very interesting

Bistromatic

Hawk Talon

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 10:49 am

The pictures aren't even showing up for me but i suspect i have seen them before :V

Maybe we can try taking some gameplay pictures on a desert mat tomorrow.

L. Sabia Byrne

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 11:24 am

They look great Joe! Really good job mate, very sinister! 8-)
You're going to need a MUCH bigger gun my friend!

http://brushesandbayonets.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.solarismedia.tv

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 11:50 am

W-O-W!!!
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Darios

Hawk Talon

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 12:48 pm

the pics seem very very dark... hard to see the paintjob proper

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 10:52 am

Darios wrote:the pics seem very very dark... hard to see the paintjob proper

The dark background is for effect only. If the models survive the 'Tactica' I will finish some of the details and make proper pictures.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 9:04 am

I started my UCM... I got the Fluff and a 1st battleship done.

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs and Tutorials