It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:51 pm

Nodri's PHR, UCM, & Terrain: Ramblings, Photos, & Tutorials

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Nodri

Nodri's PHR, UCM, & Terrain: Ramblings, Photos, & Tutorials

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 2:25 am

C&C Welcome
Last edited by Nodri on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Darios

Hawk Talon

Re: Nodri's PHR: Some Say the World Will End in Fire (Pic He

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 9:34 am

looks like Ironman found himself an army... superb paintig... but why are all the walkers "floating" on lava... that's the only thing that bugs me...

BlackLegion

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 12:30 pm

The paintjob is just awesome. But the poor Infantry stranded on little islands surrounded by glowing lava.

Guard

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 1:11 pm

I absolutely love this design, I was thinking that we had just about seen most types of paint work / basing (When based) and there are some lovely jobs out there at the moment but this for me has originality not seen in Dropzone yet (At least in this 10mm world that we live, bigger scales have had this type but I have not seen it here to the same level yet). Great job, I particularly love the basing, these guys will stand out on a table top above most others.

Mike Mee

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Very nicely painted, I love the more bold and different stuff! Keep it up :-)

piperider361

Hawk Talon

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 10:19 pm

I love the infantry most of all.

Also, you have three Poseidons. That's dedication.

Nodri

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 11:52 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. This is the first army I’ve ever posted, so it’s motivating to hear you like the work.

I went with this scheme because I wanted to hone my brush skills and to use an airbrush for more than priming and base coating. As it turned out, it was also a great opportunity to learn about custom basing and magnetizing and a ton of other bits and pieces.

Back when Dropzone Commander was on pre-order in 2012 I experienced a very expensive “ooh shiny!” moment. This was despite the fact that all of my previous attempts to create an army for any wargame had been met with abandonment due to boredom midway through. There were still tons of models to paint for other games, but I just couldn’t resist.

When the models arrived I knew that I had to commit to finishing this army. To date, it’s been the most fun I’ve had painting anything. I finally found my game of choice.

I started this blog because I think I’ve finally learned enough in the hobby to help other people navigate the learning curve a little easier. Everything I've learned about the hobby has come from researching tutorials online first and then modifying and practicing them. This will be a chance to repay the favor.

I took pretty good notes during the last couple of years and am in the process of turning them into tutorials which I’ll post here. If you feel anything needs clarification, please let me know and I’ll explain in more detail.

Finally, there is also an unpainted UCM army of about the same size as the PHR above that’s been sitting untouched in a drawer for far too long. I’ll be posting on the progress here but it’ll take me a bit to clean & magnetize that much resin, so please be patient.

Questions and comments always welcome.

How to Paint Blazing PHR

*Sand, scrape, clean, magnetize and gap-fill the model before beginning.

Zenithal Highlights with Vallejo Black, Grey, and White Primers (Airbrush)

1. Base: Vallejo Black Primer

a. 1st Highlight: Vallejo Grey Primer

b. 2nd Highlight: Vallejo White Primer

Yellow Trim (Airbrush)

1. Base / Edge Highlight: Minitaire 121 Irradiated Yellow

2. 1st Shade: Minitaire 125 Warning Yellow

3. 2nd Shade: Minitaire 126 Pumpkin

4. 3rd Shade: Minitaire 129 Scorching Red

5. Clean edge with sharp hobby Q-tip dipped in Simple Green and blotted on a towel for sharp edge highlight.
a. Use regular Q-tip as above for softer blending.

6. Ghost Tint: Minitaire 170 Yellow over entire surface.

First Varnish

1. 2 Coats Vallejo Gloss Varnish
a. Do not use Testor's Gloss Cote because it will become partially (or completely) dissolved by liquid mask and is likely to peel off the model in rubbery sheets.
b. This is not fun to fix, but possible.
c. This can also happen to Vallejo Gloss if the first coat of the liquid mask is too thick.

Apply Liquid Mask

1. Apply 2-3 coats.
a. The first coat must be thin in order to reduce the risk of damaging the underlying varnish.
b. Later coats may be thicker provided the first coat is dry.
c. Use hobby masking tape to cover areas with lots of detail (vents, guns, etc.).
d. Makes removing the masks easier.
e. Get very close to edges on all coats.
f. After each coat, place the model in front of a fan as soon as possible.
g. This substantially reduces the risk of the mask eating through the varnish.

2. Allow to dry overnight in front of a fan.

3. Masks must be removed within 72 hours or the risk of the underlying paint peeling off increases.
a. Removal in less than 48 hours is preferred.
b. Plan ahead. Make sure you can plan the time to paint and remove the masks especially when batch painting.
c. The masks also get hard over time and are more likely to leave rough edges or peel off the underlying paint.

Dark Red Body (Airbrush)

1. Apply 1 coat of Vallejo Black Primer over unmasked areas.

a. 1st Highlight: Vallejo Grey Primer

b. 2nd Highlight: Vallejo White Primer

2. Base: 2 parts Minitaire 132 Innards to 1 part Minitaire 102 Raven Black

3. 1st Highlight: Minitaire132 Innards

4. 2nd Highlight: Minitaire 130 Nebula Red

5. Ghost Tint: Minitaire 173 Magenta over entire surface ( 1 Magenta : 5 H2O)

6. Remove Masking.
a. All edges must be scored with a new x-acto blade or paint will peel off.
b. Remove remaining crumbs of mask with a beading awl, toothpick, or sharp hobby q-tip dipped in simple green.
c. Brush paint touch-ups where needed.

7. Airbrush Vallejo Matte Varnish over entire model.

8. Edge Highlight: VGC Bloody Red.
a. Wash with Minitaire 179 Fresh Blood (1 Fresh Blood : 4 H2O) over all dark red surfaces.

Metallic Undercarriage & Pipes

1. Base: VGC Bright Bronze

2. Wash: VMC Smoke (1 Airbrush Thinner : 3 H2O : 2 Smoke)

3. 1st Highlight: VMA Gold

4. Edge Highlight: VMA Bright Brass

Blue Lenses

1. I was dumb and took no photos. Follow this pattern with colors below:

2. Base: Black
3. Base: VGC Stormy Blue
4. 1st Highlight: VGC Magic Blue
5. 2nd Highlight: VGC Electric Blue
6. 3rd Highlight (Dots): VGC Dead White
7. Ghost Tint: Minitaire 180 Plasma Fluid (2 Plasma Fluid : 3 H2O)
8. Apply 2 coats of Vallejo Gloss Varnish to each lens after the model receives its final coat of varnish.

Missiles

1. Base: 2 VGC Chainmail : 1 VGC Black

2. Wash: 1 Nuln Oil : 2 H2O

3. Highlight: 1 VMA Silver : 1 Airbrush Thinner)

Second Varnish & Trim

1. 1 Coat Matte Medium (2 Matte Medium : 1 H2O)

2. 1 Coat Gloss Varnish (Vallejo or Testors)

3. Trim Lines
a. Base: VGC Bright Bronze
b. Wash: VMC Smoke (1 Airbrush Thinner : 1 H2O : 1 Smoke)
c. Highlights: None (pushes trim into background)

4. Non-Metallic Vents
a. Wash grooves with – 2 H2O : 4 [179]Fresh Blood : 1 [178] Oil Discharge

5. Dots
a. Base: VMA Bright Brass
b. Clean area with sharp hobby q-tip dipped in Simple Green and blotted on a towel for clean edges.

6. Final Coats
a. Brush coat 2 Matte Medium : 1 H2O over freshly painted areas.
b. Airbrush 2 Coats Testors Gloss Varnish
c. Spray 1 Coat Testors Dullcote
d. Airbrush 2 Coats ModelMaster Semi-Gloss
e. Brush on Vallejo Gloss Varnish on lenses.

More to come...
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Guard

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 10:53 am

Finally, there is also an unpainted UCM army of about the same size as the PHR above that’s been sitting untouched in a drawer for far too long. I’ll be posting on the progress here but it’ll take me a bit to clean & magnetize that much resin, so please be patient.

Questions and comments always welcome

When you get around to doing the UCM, it would be great to be "surprised" by them being based in some sort of original theme, if their paint job and basing comes up to the standard of the PHR I for one would be very impressed.

To be honest I wish I had the same imagination in picking my colours and especially the basing of my models, great job mate.

guard

Nodri

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:13 pm

When you get around to doing the UCM, it would be great to be "surprised" by them being based in some sort of original theme, if their paint job and basing comes up to the standard of the PHR I for one would be very impressed.

To be honest I wish I had the same imagination in picking my colours and especially the basing of my models, great job mate. -Guard

I paint for quality and never for speed. While the details of the UCM scheme are still being hammered out, I will post some photos of my test models as soon as they're done. I hope they meet your standards. ;)

Picking colors is one of the easier parts of the process since it's all comes down to basic color theory. So far, I've worked mostly with triads because they're easy mode when it comes to painting minis. This is due to the fact that triads allow you to maintain color harmony while increasing contrast. It's a sure win.

The basic concept is that you pick any five colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. In the case of the PHR above, I chose red, red-orange, orange, yellow-Orange, and yellow. Red is the shade; orange is the mid-tone, and yellow is the highlight. I then chose the compliment (color opposite another color on the color wheel) of the mid-tone (in this case, orange) for my accent color (blue). The triad then consists of red, yellow, and blue.

In the diagram below, the black arrows show my color choices. The grey arrows show the triad.

You can use this technique with any scheme. With Scourge for example you could choose red-violet as your shade, blue-violet as the mid-tone, blue-green as the highlight, and compliment it with yellow orange on the eyeballs or some other detail.

To help you visualize how colors will work together, check out Paletton.com. It is a free online color wheel that will allow you to play with different colors to see how they look in advance. It's meant for web designers, but due to the low learning curve is great for working with minis.

Click here to read a solid introduction to color theory. It's not very long but offers a sound definition of terms and ideas.

Mike Mee

Re: Nodri's Blazing PHR: Now With Tutorials

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 pm

Very good guide, very complex, a bit too complex for my liking but they look ace.
Next

Return to Blogs and Tutorials