It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Nodri's PHR, UCM, & Terrain: Ramblings, Photos, & Tutorials

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

RollinAllOnes

Re: Nodri's Blazing PHR & (WIP) UCM Tutorials

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 6:34 pm

@Ljevid: Aye, Dremel is used in English as well! Very nice rotary tools (been meaning to get one myself for all the scratchbuilding I do)

Anyways, Nodri- DAAAAANG are those some pretty minis! Absolutely brilliant work. I also must thank you for the immensely helpful tutorials. Very clear, very useful! You have got killer patience to magnetize that much. I had a big enough time magnetizing options on a Warhammer 40k Ork flyer, let alone something far smaller and delicate.

Any chance we could get a full army shot of the PHR guys?

Lastly, if you do end up spraying the resin.... *gulp* :shock:
Best of luck. You're a braver man than I! Even cleaning the residue out seems to me like a daunting task

Looking forward to following your further exploits!

Nodri

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 5:00 am

As per your request, RollinAllOnes, here is a group photo of my PHR army:

Ljevid - RollinAllOnes is correct with regards to the Dremel. I've found rotary tools to be of limited use in scale modeling because they have so much power and can easily remove too much material, but that's just my preference. I'd rather use a pin vise or razor saw most of the time because of the added control.

You did, however, remind me of another Dremel product that sees regular use on my workbench. Here's a slightly tongue-in-cheek mini-tutorial as a thank-you. :mrgreen:

Mini-Tutorial: How to Shake Paint If You Have More Tools Than Sense

Most hobbyists shake paint by hand. This is time consuming, inefficient, exhausting, and there's always crud stuck in the bottom or the sides of the bottle that you just can't get rid of. More dedicated modelers use hobby paint shakers or stirrers. They work work pretty well and are a substantial improvement over the traditional method. Here's some examples:

Men who have more tools than common sense take things to an entirely different level.

While more traditional shaking and stirring methods may work for others, real men know that the easiest way to tell if a bottle of paint is properly shaken is when the label catches fire. We also know that if the missus gets pissed because a bottle of paint mysteriously exploded all over the carpet, walls, drapes, and ceiling that we can blame the pets. That is, after all, why we keep them around. Right?

I'm a busy man and don't have the time to wait a whole 30 seconds or more for my bottle of paint to be ready. Have you seen how many colors are on my models? Can you imagine how long I'd have to wait to start painting if I had to wait that long? It could be two whole minutes...maybe even three! That's just plain unacceptable.

But there is good news. In this wonderful world of gadgets and gizmos, there is an amazing and little-known product on the market from our friends at Dremel that can shake your paint at over 10,000 oscillations per minute (opm). And what's even better is that I'm not even joking!

I present to you the Dremel Multi-Max paint shaker:

All you need to start shaking paint like a real man is to get your hands on one of these beauties. It's an oscillating saw used by carpenters (which, for the record, I was for awhile) to make flush cuts. I used the one pictured above to cut trim around doors when installing flooring.

There are a variety of saw blades available. I picked one that was close in size to a Vallejo dropper bottle and wrapped the it in a ton of rubber bands and packing tape. A bottle of paint was attached to the blade with rubber bands and I let 'er rip at about 8,000 opm. The label started smoking, but otherwise it worked perfectly.

I then added some velcro cable ties (fuzzy side out) to the blade and fired it up again, this time at about 1,000 opm and gently started increasing the speed. Through trial-and-error, I found that the comfort zone is about 3,500 opm but that speed can be comfortably doubled for stubborn bottles.

The advantage of the oscillating saw is that the tool is designed to pull itself through the material it's cutting. When a bottle of paint is attached to the end, it is pulled in towards the body of the saw and the resultant force creates a strong rotating current inside the bottle. The current, combined with the the high degree of vibration, loosens paint sediments with amazing efficiency.

The result? Perfectly mixed bottles of paint in under 5 seconds at 3,500 opm. Even bottles of paint that have been sitting on the shelf for years are perfectly mixed in 10-15 seconds tops, and that's probably overkill.

The only side effect is that the friction between the label and the fuzzy velcro is sufficient to buff all the ink off the label. I have to make sure that the front of the label is facing up so that I don't buff off the name of the color.

I have never had a bottle of paint explode, leak, or otherwise fail and I've been using this thing regularly for years. The majority of my paints are dropper bottles, but flip-top pots also work fine. Be sure to wrap a rubber band around the bottle to keep the lid secured just to be safe.

This paint shaker is one of the most frequently used items on my workbench and proves without a doubt that the best ideas often sound the craziest at the outset. It is for this reason that I am perfectly fine with trying to shoot Water Effects and Still Water through my airbrush. 8-)
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 8:25 am

Nodri wrote:But there is good news. In this wonderful world of gadgets and gizmos, there is an amazing and little-known product on the market from our friends at Dremel that can shake your paint at over 10,000 oscillations per minute (opm).

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Any other brilliant ideas? :lol:

P.S.: I'll definitely try that out - I only have a chainsaw - but I'll find a way!

P.P.S.: Awesome army!!!
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 1:06 am

Massive Thread Necromancy!

But this topic needs to be brought forward, especially for the amazing magnetization tutorials on Page 2!

I wish I'd seen this before I built all my PHR and UCM stuff, but it does help with Wolverines, and the tutorial on the UCM Escape Pod will help me tackle my Resistance Drills!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Nodri

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 2:23 am

JD,

Your timing is uncanny. In another week or two I'll have some updates for this thread.

It's been an interesting year, but things have settled down and I'm back to work. The gap-filling has just been finished on the UCM and I'm in process of making flier bases now. I've also picked up the latest additions for the PHR & UCM and they've also been prepped and are ready for primer.

Once everything has been built, the first painting priority will be the PHR additions. Hopefully that'll start up around the new year. Things will be a bit chaotic until then due to end-of-year deadlines at work.

Pics and tutorials will be coming.

*Edit: Almost forgot to mention that temptation won out and I backed Dropfleet at the Commodore level.
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Lyraeus

Hawk Talon

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 7:14 am

Nodri wrote:JD,

Your timing is uncanny. In another week or two I'll have some updates for this thread.

It's been an interesting year, but things have settled down and I'm back to work. The gap-filling has just been finished on the UCM and I'm in process of making flier bases now. I've also picked up the latest additions for the PHR & UCM and they've also been prepped and are ready for primer.

Once everything has been built, the first painting priority will be the PHR additions. Hopefully that'll start up around the new year. Things will be a bit chaotic until then due to end-of-year deadlines at work.

Pics and tutorials will be coming.

*Edit: Almost forgot to mention that temptation won out and I backed Dropfleet at the Commodore level.

I love the army! I am doing a red and gold themed PHR (Ironman) and the red here is amazing! Thanks JD for resurrecting this!
Remember to check my Blog out at http://thehotlz.blogspot.com/

If you are on Facebook check out my Page https://www.facebook.com/thehotlz/ where I post all my articles videos, and do contests and events!

kaffis

PostMon Dec 07, 2015 2:51 pm

Nodri, this is amazing work. I recently started building a PHR army, and, like you, have taken it as an opportunity to learn about magnetizing and airbrushing. I don't have nearly the patience or skill you do (and am more a player than a painter), but I must say it's a bit satisfying to realize that I've stumbled upon similar approaches to magnetization as you've been employing to such excellent effect. I will *definitely* be referencing this when I build my half of the 2-player starter box, as I've been kind of stumped on any plans for magnetizing UCM, and I may have to switch gears to include some 1/8 x 1/16 magnets; in my own initial planning I'd been worried they would be too deep for some of the models and wanted to keep my workflow simple by minimizing the types of magnet I was using. Seeing your success with it, though, is making me consider improving the strength of the dropship mount magnets, which are just a bit too weak to securely hold walkers with metal legs suspended from dropships on the table.

Your color scheme is gorgeously executed, and I can't wait to see what you've chosen for your UCM. I'm immensely excited to hear that there ought to be some Valkyries coming soon to this thread, too.

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostTue Dec 08, 2015 1:50 am

Ljevid wrote:
Nodri wrote:But there is good news. In this wonderful world of gadgets and gizmos, there is an amazing and little-known product on the market from our friends at Dremel that can shake your paint at over 10,000 oscillations per minute (opm).

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Any other brilliant ideas? :lol:

P.S.: I'll definitely try that out - I only have a chainsaw - but I'll find a way!

P.P.S.: Awesome army!!!

LOL!!!!!
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Nodri

Re: Nodri's PHR & UCM: Ramblings, Photos, & Tutorials

PostSat Dec 19, 2015 9:23 pm

Thank you for the very kind words guys. If you have any specific questions that aren’t covered in the tutorials, please let me know.

It’s been a very long time since this thread was updated, but I’ve finally made enough progress to have something that’s worth sharing. Prep work is complete and painting is on track to start up after the holidays. Finishing the additions to the PHR army will be the first priority and then I’ll start working on a color scheme for the UCM. Once painting starts, this thread will be updated much more frequently.

In addition, I’ll probably be able to post two tutorials before the New Year. The first will focus on gap-filling/sanding. The second will cover an improved custom flier base design.

Prep work is complete.

This is no small statement. Gap-filling and sanding this army took far longer than I could have ever imagined. I anticipated a few months at most. It ended up taking about a year. This was partly due to my desire to streamline the UCM by removing some things and filling in others. Delays were then compounded by the new releases for the UCM & PHR. Finally, I’m not exactly a fan of doing prep work, so it was often difficult to get motivated. All of this added up to a relatively craptastic year in the hobby department.

Thankfully, that part of the project is over with. Now that the work is done, the fun stuff can begin.

Here are some photos of the progress so far.

PHR

UCM

UCM Army Ready for Painting & Basing

Questions & comments always welcome.

BlackLegion

Re: Nodri's PHR & UCM: Ramblings, Photos, & Tutorials

PostSat Dec 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Awesome work with the magnets but...you smeared shut all the grills with putty?
PreviousNext

Return to Blogs and Tutorials