It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:33 am

Nightwolf's Browncoats

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Nightwolf

Re: Nightwolf's Browncoats

PostWed Oct 29, 2014 5:26 am

Rusted Fist [160 pts]
Hannibals: 2x M9 Hannibal, AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon)

Mark 9; Hannibal Class. Designation: 91-Alpha [Paladin], 91-Beta [Custodian]

The Paladin and Custodian form the armored shield of The Sanctum 4th Defense-Force. Normally tasked with the most dangerous combat drops, their superb survival rate and kill-count in the face of Scourge adversity has made their crew into all but minor celebrities. Despite Group Leader Ven's protestations that the fame will get to their heads, he has formed a begrudging respect for the boost they provide to overall morale.

Nightwolf

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 9:17 am

After a number of successful operations under his belt against the upstart UCM, with a few close calls against the treacherous PHR along the way, Nathaniel Ven finally has reinforcements being reassigned to him from the Sanctum 1st and 3rd. (AKA: My shop finally sorted its distribution woes and units ordered a month ago are on their way!)

Infiltrators [70 pts]
Freeriders: 2x Freeriders [70 pts]

Freerider Class [Re-purposed]. Designation: Viper-Alpha, Viper-Bravo

The Sanctum 4th Vipers are considered by many to be the concept of insanity made manifest. Often made up of rude rough and tumble youth they boast the highest mortality rate in the field, but are also one of the most invaluable assets. Terms of service in Viper units are volunteer only and typically short lived. They are dangerous lone-wolves on and off the field of battle and are treated with a degree of respect and disdain, often in equal measure, by there peers. Those who join are expected to grow out of this "phase" and it is said that in order to become a team leader for one of these roving bands one has to be all but a hairs width from Berzerker-hood.

Nightwolf

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 9:31 am

I have also been working on some terrain. A weathered industrial building concealing an entrance to a tunnel network. Not sure how good it actually is, but I like it. :lol:

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostFri Dec 19, 2014 9:43 am

Nice :)

I like the army, the terrain piece and the fluff.

You really put a lot of effort in it and the results show it ;)
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Nodri

PostSat Dec 20, 2014 3:34 am

I agree with Ljevid - the effort you put into this army really shows. You've captured the "cobbled together from whatever we had laying around" look. In addition, placing the bikers sideways on the base is really clever.

Could you post some additional information about and photos of the terrain? It looks really well done and completely different from anything I've seen.

I think that scratchbuilding terrain is one of the great untapped aspects of DZC. I can only assume that the game is still new enough that people are still largely working on their armies and therefore haven't really explored this aspect of the game. DZC's small scale makes customizing models somewhat difficult, but the options for terrain are, IMO, the best of any wargame for exactly the same reason.

I can't wait to see more.
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Nightwolf

PostSat Dec 20, 2014 5:46 am

I appreciate the compliments!

Nodri wrote:You've captured the "cobbled together from whatever we had laying around" look.

That is exactly what I was aiming for. My UCM and Shaltari are all clean with smooth lines and panels, but I wanted something a bit more rugged. I feel that even the larger vehicles, whether up-kept or not, are likely to be showing their age after 150 years.

Nodri wrote:Could you post some additional information about and photos of the terrain? It looks really well done and completely different from anything I've seen.

No work in progress pictures on this building I am afraid, but I have another one that I am about to start working on that I will get a few shots of. The base of this building is an old hot-wheels set (originally bright red and yellow in coloration). I added plasticard, a micromachine gun in the back, a bit of rubble, and the top of a 40k heavy-bolter/lifthawk sensor for the sensor array.

The annoying part was that the building did not take ink that well, even with primer, and I ended up using a brush in several key locations to mimic the effect by hand. Although where the ink did stick I feel as though it did a decent job of making it look like a dirty-grimy age worn structure. Especially the locations where there appears to have been runoff.

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

PostThu Dec 25, 2014 10:47 am

Lookling very nice! Love your models and terrain.
Happy holydays!
For Humanity!
26th at Autum Invasion 2016

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostMon Dec 29, 2014 1:00 pm

These are fantastic and I'm really digging that terrain.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Daniel36

Hawk Talon

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 2:44 pm

Totally digging your terrain! Real cool stuff!!
Officially Holland's #4 Dropzone Commander Player!
Now with added Moderator Powers!

Souleater

PostFri Jan 02, 2015 10:04 am

Very effective work. Like the bikers in particular.
Previous

Return to Blogs and Tutorials