It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 am

Shrap's DZC Hobby Blog: Justification from a Dice Fiend

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Shrapnelsmile

Shrap's DZC Hobby Blog: Justification from a Dice Fiend

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 5:10 am

Greetings everyone.

Session 1: Justifications from a Dice Fiend out of his element.

I have just recently moved to a new flat. With all my hobby gear packed up and non-accessible, I found myself wanting to assemble and paint yet was completely lacking any necessary gear or models. Without even room to move about the place, as boxes were everywhere, I was craving some personal down-time, a respite from the hard task of moving. Craving hobby hours with hardcore urgency.

The next day as I pondered my misery I thought, "what a great time to get into Dropzone commander." I had always wanted to try it, and I certainly didn't need any figs for the other systems I play. Well, want and need are not synonymous. A few quick questions to friends on Facebook sealed the deal for me -- there are others seeking opponents who have dabbled in the system. Fair enough chance at fun I'd wager.

I soon found myself at a local shop minutes before closing, and came back with some plastic glue, files, an X-Acto knife and a fine looking new 2 player starter set. The tools were a redundant purchase, but desperate times bring desperate measures. Life is good again.

* Rolling 1's for over four decades *

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

Re: Shrap's DZC Hobby Blog: Justification from a Dice Fiend

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 6:42 am

Whoo hoo! Another victim for the ever growing hordes of the Undead... err, Drop Zone Commanders!
:D
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Daniel36

Hawk Talon

PostSun Nov 16, 2014 11:27 am

Good choice! Hope you will get some much needed hobby and gaming time again soon. Hope you get settled in quickly too.
Officially Holland's #4 Dropzone Commander Player!
Now with added Moderator Powers!

Shrapnelsmile

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 5:43 am

Session 2:

I ventured into the street tonight wearing nothing but long cut-off shorts, my still-made in England - Doc Martins, and a pink latex glove on the left hand.

That's a strange sight even in California.

You see I am forced to primer in the road, dodging traffic. We do not have sidewalks in this neighborhood nor do I live in a home with a garage. But again, being desperate to game fully painted means doing what it takes!
On to the Hobby business in detail: first up as mentioned are the 3 Bear APC's. They were simple to assemble and will be a fine platform to test my scheme. That was an automatic decision.

I decided to primer the underside of transports with Army Painter black spray. The top and sides will receive a convenient overlaying spray of colored AP base coat primer next. I opted to coat the bottoms black because I want to avoid the likelihood of missed spots visible on the bottom showing plastic. I also thought it may help with a bit of shading to have the undercarriage dark with the highlighted tops providing a juxtaposition.
I am still experimenting with concepts in the 10mm - 15mm range, but I figured this would be a reasonable approach to subtle color variation.

Now to get properly dressed for winter and get some rest. Looking forward to that base coat asap.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostMon Nov 17, 2014 11:47 am

Shrapnelsmile wrote:I ventured into the street tonight wearing nothing but long cut-off shorts, my still-made in England - Doc Martins, and a pink latex glove on the left hand.

That's a strange sight even in California.

Lol... Please do not forget the inevitable mumbling and the high pitched screams in case a still wet model is dropped. ;)

Looking forward to that paint scheme of yours...
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

piperider361

Hawk Talon

PostTue Nov 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Poor APCs always get neglected to the test models!

Look forward to seeing them complete!

Shrapnelsmile

PostSat Feb 28, 2015 8:04 am

Greetings all,

Thanks for the warm welcome, for joining me in a laugh and the encouragement.

I put a layer of green over the black on the BEAR APC's, and then promptly sold my starter armies.

I've been bidding my time this past month or so for the right deal to pick up the faction I've longed to field.

Tonight was the moment in waiting,

I grabbed this at a local gaming hotspot shop w/ good prices and customer rewards,
I picked this starter up for $62 + tax!

It was already discounted + 5% rewards back and another $10 off February coupon.

Sorry to faction - hop, but I am quite excited to dig into these.

I'm thinking dirty orange for some of the models, but I shall peruse galleries and threads for inspiration.

thoughts? Suggestions? Tips to drop our Dropzone addiction? Good to be back.

tsabo

PostSun Mar 01, 2015 4:21 am

I think a dirty orange scheme would be cool!
"Have you seen the Yellow Sign?"

Return to Blogs and Tutorials