It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:42 am

The Yellow Court (Feral Resistance by tsabo)

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

tsabo

The Yellow Court (Feral Resistance by tsabo)

PostSat Jan 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Well I had posted some pictures of some of my stuff in the December painting competition thread, but I figured it was time for me to start a plog here. So here's some fluff for my Feral Resistance army, as well as shots of everything I've completed so far. I'm actually hoping to eventually do Hawk style canopies for my aircraft, but I have not thought out the best colour to complement the black, probably blue. Anyone have any good advice on this?

The Yellow Court
After the Scourge invasion and the fall of Earth and the Cradle Worlds, life was a often a desperate struggle for the few remaining humans trying to eke out a living in the underworld or in desolate environments that even the Scourge hesitated to venture into. As the years went by, many who did not perish instead suffered from madness and depression. In those dark hours, some few with insane insight began to turn to ancient and long forgotten gods whom they hoped would heed their desperate prayers for salvation. In time the worship spread, and for at least one group of survivors, it seemed that their prayers had been answered.

A mysterious being known only as the King in Yellow came forth, offering guidance and salvation to the beleaguered resistance. He became known as such due to his huge stature and tattered yellow robes, yet nobody could seem to pierce the veil of those robes and view the true form of the King in Yellow. He claimed to come from a place known as Carcosa, though no further explanation was offered. Along with the King in Yellow came a cabal of his priests, who were clearly human but of equally imposing stature as their lord. They carried great scythes with them a symbol of their office, though the King himself carried no armament, for he claimed he needed none. From whence these strange beings had come from, nobody was able to explain, but in their dire state, the survivors took the proffered hand willingly.

The King in Yellow was quick to organise the survivors into a cohesive group, and began orchestrating raids with what little assets the group had to seize more weapons, armour and supplies. In just under two years, the force that would come to be known as The Yellow Court had become a formidable civilisation which had subsumed several smaller groups into it and had captured enough infrastructure to become self-sufficient. The members of the Yellow Court, by now completely devoted to the King in Yellow and his priesthood, began to colour their vehicles and garb yellow to show their dedication to their master. They have become a fanatical fighting force, shepherded into battle by priests of the King in Yellow, and sometimes even accompanied by the King himself in his massive custom hovercraft, The Yellow Sign.

As the Reconquest began, the King in Yellow revealed a part of his greater scheme to his followers. He told them of a play, one performed in Carcosa where he came from, and which he needed to bring to their world. He swore that should the play be successfully called forth, the Scourge on the planet would be utterly destroyed. The Yellow Court now works toward that end, their inexplicable behaviour often baffling UCM intelligence as to their motives. They have declined direct aid from the UCM, though they are not above "using" the UCM to further their own mysterious goals whenever it proves convenient. Sometimes, they show outright hostility towards UCM elements they encounter, as well as to any other outsiders.

Some speculate that the King in Yellow represents something greater which has not yet revealed its full presence. Whether that is the case or what that is, nobody except the King himself can yet say...

"Have you seen the Yellow Sign?"

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

Re: The Yellow Court (Feral Resistance by tsabo)

PostSat Jan 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Nice paint job, don't take this wrong, IMO they need to be dirtier. I just don't see the resistance sporting imperial fistings just off the assembly line bright yellow. But that is just me.

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 5:08 am

Such a creative background for an army. I really love it!

I love the paint scheme but I would just spend a bit of time weathering it. Some light stains, patches of rust, battle damage. Possibly a watered down light brown wash over the lot to show the panel lines more too. It would tone down the yellow slightly too. You'd have to be very careful to not make the wash too heavy and do a test model first.

Cheers,
Sword
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

tsabo

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 5:57 am

I appreciate the comments. I too had envisioned a much dirtier yellow when I was thinking up the army concept (I had some a similar but much dirtier black washed yellow Ork army for 40k), but somehow after I finished the yellow on my test models I really liked how it turned out, so I decided to go along with it without dirtying it up, and just confine the rust to the metal areas. I suppose I could try to experiment if I have some spare models, I'll see what I can come up with.

I actually applied a sepia wash to the infantry to give them a little more definition since the orangey shading didn't complement the tiny men so well.

The lighting and camera do make the yellow appear a bit different from reality though. It's not quite so jarring as in the pictures.

Samael

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 4:44 pm

I lve the idea, who is the yellow king? PHR? Shaltari? Something new?

Though I also do agree that it is a bit too pristine. Though maybe one of the yellow kings commandments was "thou shall not let the the yellow be dirty." And many resistance members have been lost gallantly recovering cleaning products from scourge occupied territory.

Suzume

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Honestly, the bright yellow makes me think of dark ages pageantry, which kinda fits.
15-4-3
Nova Open 2015 DZC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, Jan 2016 DZC: 2nd
Huzzah Hobbies, May 2016 DZC: 3rd
Nova Open 2016 DZC: 3rd
Origins 2017: DZC: 2nd
Origins 2017: DFC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, July 2017 DZC: 2nd

I like type 1s and bronze medals.

tsabo

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 4:57 pm

Samael wrote:I lve the idea, who is the yellow king? PHR? Shaltari? Something new?

Though I also do agree that it is a bit too pristine. Though maybe one of the yellow kings commandments was "thou shall not let the the yellow be dirty." And many resistance members have been lost gallantly recovering cleaning products from scourge occupied territory.

Well the basis for my King in Yellow is of course the Lovecraftian King in Yellow, and like all things related to the Cthulhu Mythos, is best when left as a mystery :lol:

I just realised that the White Sphere is kinda similar in how mysterious it is and how it acts as a guiding force for the PHR.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Looks like someone said "Hastur" once too often ;)

Lovely story & great models. Your skills really show in the appliance of the rusty areas... Sweet :)

I would keep the yellow - it really makes the army special.

You could add some more weathering to the models since there seems to be little reason not to paint over the rusty plates, while the rest looks meticulous.
Model mates for example make great stuff for weathering!

Love it!
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Hexer

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 9:16 pm

If you feel like putting in some work and want to weather them, maybe something along the lines of this would look cool:
http://camospecs.com/Article.asp?FictionID=56

tsabo

PostWed Jan 07, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks for all the comments so far guys!

Just finished two more bases of Freeriders. Next up will probably be my 2nd Barrel Bomber and my 3rd Kraken.

Next

Return to Blogs and Tutorials