It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Mr Mee's Dropzone Blog - small update.

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Mike Mee

Re: Mr Mee's Resistance.

PostSat Feb 14, 2015 10:42 am

Holdnpatten wrote:It is coming along really nice.
Out of curiosity what brand of wash did you use and did you thin it?

Hey dude, I used Games Workshop Nuln Oil and the medium they produce. Not the best stuff on the market but it does the job.

And thanks Daniel & Technichen, should have some more progress coming soon.

Holdnpattern

PostSat Feb 14, 2015 8:49 pm

Mike Mee wrote:

Hey dude, I used Games Workshop Nuln Oil and the medium they produce. Not the best stuff on the market but it does the job.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Simple tricks are the best. It really does look good. The washes and shades are the only GW stuff I still use, I kinda find them great.

Mike Mee

PostSat Feb 14, 2015 9:03 pm

Holdnpatten wrote:
Mike Mee wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me.
Simple tricks are the best. It really does look good. The washes and shades are the only GW stuff I still use, I kinda find them great.

They are a bit meh compared to how they used to be. I find them not amazing but not rubbish either.

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 2:55 am

Good work. Washes are wonderful. I look forward to collecting Shaltari one day. Then it will be base spray and wash, wash, wash! ;)
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 1:05 am

Hey, Mike.

I'm really liking this! I've been planning on doing my ex-military Resistance in the same manner.

Can I ask you which colors you used for each step? Including the rusted panels, please?...

Also, I assume you airbrushed the basecoat on, correct? I'm considering using a spray from a can, either one of the new GW colors (a grey, of course) or an Army Painter grey. I like the Army Painter sprays, but my FLGS hasn't restocked them in a while, and I was thinking of getting started on them soon. I do have an airbrush, but just figured that a spray for the basecoat would be fine, too, and considerably faster... Can I get your thoughts on this?

I really can't tell where the Nuln Oil went on your wash step picture, comparing it to the previous picture, and yet you mentioned that you really had to slather it on. What was the issue there, and can you elaborate?

*Edit: Now I see it, on the chrome stuff. Still, what was the issue you had with it?...

Really looking forward to more progress and pictures!

Thanks!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Mike Mee

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 11:56 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:Hey, Mike.

I'm really liking this! I've been planning on doing my ex-military Resistance in the same manner.

Can I ask you which colors you used for each step? Including the rusted panels, please?...

Also, I assume you airbrushed the basecoat on, correct? I'm considering using a spray from a can, either one of the new GW colors (a grey, of course) or an Army Painter grey. I like the Army Painter sprays, but my FLGS hasn't restocked them in a while, and I was thinking of getting started on them soon. I do have an airbrush, but just figured that a spray for the basecoat would be fine, too, and considerably faster... Can I get your thoughts on this?

I really can't tell where the Nuln Oil went on your wash step picture, comparing it to the previous picture, and yet you mentioned that you really had to slather it on. What was the issue there, and can you elaborate?

*Edit: Now I see it, on the chrome stuff. Still, what was the issue you had with it?...

Really looking forward to more progress and pictures!

Thanks!

Hello, so.........

The model was first primed then Mechanicius Standard Grey from gw, then pre-shaded with ze airbrush and then re-sprayed standard Grey. Never use Army Painter sprays, they are arse, air brushing is much more reliable.

Next is painting all the metal bits Vallajo Modelair Chrome, takes a lot of time but being extra neat is the key to this step. When that is done paint some of the exrta armour in Modelair Russian Green, or any other green you like. As long as it is close to the green the UCM are it'll be fine.

Then, get a big brush(about a size 2/3), get your Nuln Oil and Medium and whack the model completely in the mix! For this stage you'll need the model on a stick or something so you can move the model without touching it. Hold the model nose down so all the wash pools to the front of the model, and being quick start removing wash where is has pooled the heaviest until you are happy. You can skip this stage and just wash in the gaps and metal, but the blanket wash is so water marks will be showing when it drys.

Then paint the other panels in Doombull Brown for that rusty look, and that's as far as I have got up to now.

Going to be busy all this week so don't expect an update 8-) The rest of the photo's on my w.i.p I will include what colour s I use so it'll be easier to follow how I do it and I'll be able to do a painting guide in a post.

Hope this helps you guys and i'll cya next time :)

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 4:54 am

OK, great, thanks!

Clarifying question, if you don't mind: When you re-sprayed with the Mechanicum Standard Grey, did you spray over the whole model, or did you stay clear of the places where you pre-shaded?

Thanks!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Mike Mee

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 4:22 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:OK, great, thanks!

Clarifying question, if you don't mind: When you re-sprayed with the Mechanicum Standard Grey, did you spray over the whole model, or did you stay clear of the places where you pre-shaded?

Thanks!

You spray over the pre-shade but not heavily so you can still see the shade showing through. If that hasn't helped there are plenty of videos on youtube by more professional models ;-)

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 8:04 am

Mike Mee wrote:

Thanks!

You spray over the pre-shade but not heavily so you can still see the shade showing through. If that hasn't helped there are plenty of videos on youtube by more professional models ;-)

Yes, that helps, thanks!

Also, one more, just to be sure: When you say "spray", I'm assuming you mean as in "from a spray can", and not airbrushing. Right?

Mike Mee

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 2:34 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:
Mike Mee wrote:

Thanks!

Yes, that helps, thanks!

Also, one more, just to be sure: When you say "spray", I'm assuming you mean as in "from a spray can", and not airbrushing. Right?

Airbrush dude, the only spraying with a spray can I did is priming the model with Halfords Grey, which I am going to change to Tamiya fine white spray.
PreviousNext

Return to Blogs and Tutorials