It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:37 am

My LVO Display Board

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Novus

My LVO Display Board

PostMon Mar 02, 2015 11:45 pm

Here's an overview of my LVO Display board. This thing was a ton of fun to make and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

http://greenstuffindustries.blogspot.com/2015/03/my-lvo-dropzone-display-board.html

Delta

Re: My LVO Display Board

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 12:59 am

Really nice touch with the scourge FM "taking a digger" as we say up here in new-england (mostly in Maine though).
If my avatar seems oddly familiar it is because it is from Advance Wars.

Fate

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 1:00 am

Love it.

I'm curious how you actually made the crash crater, it looks particularly awesome.
As for some critique, i think the fresh craters could use some scorching, It won't hurt to put some around the wreckage either.

Since you've made the grass pop up through the concrete in straight lines at straight angles from each other in some places some fault lines in the concrete wouldn't hurt to accentuate.

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 1:54 am

Pretty

Novus

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 2:03 am

Thanks, Delta! Thanks, Fate! Thanks, feindusmaximus!

As for the crash trench, the board is on a 1" sheet of styro insulation. I dug out a rough approximation of what I wanted and then hit it with a bit of Acetone spray from my airbrush (Warning! Do not try this at home! VERY DANGEROUS! Vapors are both poisonous and flammable!!!) to melt it up a bit and give it some strength so it doesn't come apart when I apply the pumice gel, later. I then added the busted pipe and paving slabs. Then I applied a liberal coat of pumice gel. After that it's just dry brushing browns and adding water effects. Easy to do with decent results.

I didn't add any scorching because A) there was no explosion during the FM crash landing, and B) bomb craters rarely show scorching unless there are secondary fires. Which in this case, there weren't. The fresh bomb rubble/dust tends to cover any scorching that happens during the blast, which is why you would need to set fire to the resulting rubble to get scorching. I know this isn't always the case in real life (especially with buildings that get hit), but that was my logic.

Yeah, the fault lines are a problem. I should have added them very early in the build. But seeing as I had already laid down the road bed with PVA and sand (which is a surprisingly tough material combination), it was really hard making faults/cracks without causing widespread damage to what I'd already done. So, I had to be satisfied with suggesting the fault lines with straight rows of turf and plants.

Good suggestions, though, Fate! Thanks!

feindusmaximus

Hawk Talon

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 3:05 am

Was checking out your website and added stuff to cart, then went to check out and it gliched. Not sure if it is my end or yours. Will try again tomorrow.

https://www.greenstuffindustries.com/st ... 7c67f70b26

Daniel36

Hawk Talon

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 10:24 am

Oh man! I love how the PHR blend in with the environment but still stand out. Well done, well done!!
Officially Holland's #4 Dropzone Commander Player!
Now with added Moderator Powers!

snolb

Hawk Talon

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 10:25 am

Lovely!
Official the worst player in Sweden!

Dedicated DzC Swedish Facebook group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/702576909788030/

Return to Blogs and Tutorials