It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:47 am

@WargamerSami's Scourge - The Helghast Incursion

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

WargamerSami

Re: @WargamerSami's Scourge - The Helghast Incursion

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Ok, here's my attempt at a painting guide for my Scourge. It's really not rocket science, but I hope it inspires those who, like me, like simple but effective schemes that aren't too daunting to tackle for those of us who aren't Golden Demon winners!

First thing's first, you need to prep your paints and materials. I use Army Painter (AP) Gun Metal Spray, some Klear floor polish (or equivalent, found in most supermarkets), some AP Anti-Shine Matt Varnish Spray, GW Ryza Rust/Fire Dragon Bright, AP Strong Tone Ink, GW Ceramite White, GW Leadbelcher, and Forged Monkey Plasma Blue Weathering Pigment - this is just the same as 'traditional' weathering pigments except it's bright glowing blue (they do a wonderful range of colours - I heartily recommend).

Step One: Prime the model with the AP Gun Metal spray. Any marbling effects are good; don't be disheartened if it's not as smooth as you're used to!

Step Two: Coat the whole model with a liberal wash mix of 1:4 Klear floor polish and AP Strong Tone Ink. I mean liberal - you want this to dull down the silvers and leave a rusted, worn metal look. Mixing in a little floor polish will help break the surface tension of the ink on the model and allow it floe freely into all the recesses that will help pick out all of Dave's lovely little details. Leave the model until it is fully dried before moving on.

Step Three: Begin a light dry brush of GW Ryza Rust in areas of model. Make sure to keep the brush moving perpendicular to the details so it catches edges and doesn't fill grooves/recesses - you want to keep these dark. Gradually build up a few more layers to your desired look.

Step Four: Pick out some of the extreme edges with GW Fire Dragon Bright (not originally pictured) considering where light might catch the rust/where areas of heavier rust might be.

Step Five: Paint in all white details - I tend to go for the engine vents, plasma coils, inside gun barrels, some lenses, etc. This doesn't need to be overly neat as you are effectively creating the foundations for the plasma glow at this stage.

Step 6: This is where the fun starts! Dapple on the Plasma Blue powder over the white (and spilling onto areas of the hull) to your desired brightness. Be aware that the spray sealant in the next stage will dull it down again so you can be relatively liberal with your application.

Step 7: Seal the powder in with a coat of AP Anti-Shine Matt Varnish. Be careful to spray in short bursts from different angles. You may wish to repeat steps 6 and 7 again if you feel it takes off too much blue. I did for this model. Then, for a final touch, re-apply a coat of GW Ceramite White to the central areas of the vents, etc. leaving a bit of the blue glow effect showing. Et voila!

And a shot with it mounted underneath a Harbinger, which just makes the whole thing look monstrous!!

Happy painting guys, and please do post up any of your work on this blog if you use this technique, or anything similar!

Sami
@WargamerSami

Proud member of the South London Legion wargames club.

My Scourge Blog: http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6341

Hexer

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 6:43 pm

That definitally looks a lot easier then I thought indeed :)

Thanks a lot! and once again: very nice looking model! :)

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 12:51 am

Wow, great tutorial! Thanks, Sami!

And, yeah, it is a pretty easy process... Nice! ;) :D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

WargamerSami

PostThu Apr 09, 2015 5:54 am

So I took a few more shots today with my latest list. Gotta love those Harbingers!

Static Group Shot:

Armour Battlegroup:

HQ Battlegroup:

Some Prowlers and Hunters:

Sami
@WargamerSami

Proud member of the South London Legion wargames club.

My Scourge Blog: http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6341

onine

PostThu Apr 09, 2015 8:23 pm

I've never heard of using powders to create a glow effect before, very interesting, thanks for posting the guide!

That Oppressor looks great, I especially like the bright tips on its underslung weapons, makes it look threatening! (well, MORE threatening!)
Previous

Return to Blogs and Tutorials