It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:16 am

Rav's UCM & PHR & Urban Table Plog

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Ravager

Re: Rav's UCM & PHR & Urban Table Plog

PostSun Sep 04, 2016 3:01 am

So, after many months of delays (and generally being lazy when it comes to my Dropzone modelling), I have finished doing the relief effects on all 8 of my city tiles. Each represents about 2 hours of work measuring, cutting and, scoring.

All 8 lined up sideways. There's only good arrangement for 2x4, but lots for 2x2.

Viewed end on.

Dropship level view. I will endeavour to take pictures with buildings, overpasses and maybe even models in the not too distant future.

stevefamine

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 1:58 pm

Mirin the table - yours looks great!

I thought about either lasercut roads / n/ho scale cardstock tiles for the sidewalks - ended up with cut card and some plaster. You clearly put 5x the amount of time than I did into my board right now. It looks durable too.

How is storage going to work with this? What are your thoughts on street lights (one my my big headaches now)

Also - good job on the angle / curve roads. Looks ace. I just had my entire road setup diagonal - and it does not nearly look as good. My favorite part of this board is the street parking + small circle road ends. Can't wait to see this painted.

Are you going with the light grey airbrush/clean look? With how fresh this looks it would look pristine

Ravager

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 1:20 am

stevefamine wrote:Mirin the table - yours looks great!

Thanks. And looking at your table I'm super jelly of those ruined/overgrown buildings you've made.

I thought about either lasercut roads / n/ho scale cardstock tiles for the sidewalks - ended up with cut card and some plaster. You clearly put 5x the amount of time than I did into my board right now. It looks durable too.

Yeah, it's about 16 hours of construction, and maybe 4 hours of intense design and layout work. Seems like you get what you put in.

How is storage going to work with this? What are your thoughts on street lights (one my my big headaches now)

Storage is something I'm not 100% sure on, but I'm an engineer by trade, so I might even weld up a case/frame to hold these in place.

As for streetlights, find some cheap ones, magnetize the bases and appropriate points on the board itself. I'm unlikely to go that far though, too many fiddly bits to lose in transit. (This board is going to be used a lot for demos at the FLGS).

Also - good job on the angle / curve roads. Looks ace. I just had my entire road setup diagonal - and it does not nearly look as good. My favorite part of this board is the street parking + small circle road ends. Can't wait to see this painted.

Diagonal roads can look good across a whole layout (and many Infinity players will attest to this), but you have to be very careful with the design from the start. With this board I had the advantage of being able to use professional design software for the whole thing.

Are you going with the light grey airbrush/clean look? With how fresh this looks it would look pristine

I'm thinking an abandoned city look, actually. A little dirty, a little overgrown, but nothing drastic. I'm using Pripyat and Hashima as inspiration for that.

stevefamine

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 2:09 pm

I'm a finance guy by trade... no engineering background here. Your work shows 8-)

For streetlights - I decided not to go with magnets and actually just plastered/glued two dozen to pennies so they have enough weight to stand/move-able. I'll have to see how they come out.

Yes - my design isn't perfect by any means. I just sat down with a ruler and pencil and started making roads. I'm hoping to use grass/flock to cover some of the off angles in the city I messed up on. It's off by 1-3mm in some areas. This is noticeable when you take a step back and observe. Did you create this in sketchup or some similar program beforehand?

On Pripyat - I originally bought a few dark green foilage/underbrush and wanted to go with a slightly snowy themed STALKER looking city. Deep greens, snow, bleached grey rubble and so on but I wasn't sure how I would like the structures since I bothered to spend money on the resin. I want a some of the buildings to have a "Brighter warmer" look instead of Pripyat dead of winter.

So whats the next step Rav?

Ravager

PostWed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 am

stevefamine wrote:I'm a finance guy by trade... no engineering background here. Your work shows 8-)

Given the amount of time I've put into it, I should hope so. ;)

For streetlights - I decided not to go with magnets and actually just plastered/glued two dozen to pennies so they have enough weight to stand/move-able. I'll have to see how they come out.

Not a bad idea. Me being a crazy engineer could go one better, and get brass or stainless punch-cut discs. Hell, might even be able to lasercut the streetlights themselves from the right material.

Yes - my design isn't perfect by any means. I just sat down with a ruler and pencil and started making roads. I'm hoping to use grass/flock to cover some of the off angles in the city I messed up on. It's off by 1-3mm in some areas. This is noticeable when you take a step back and observe. Did you create this in sketchup or some similar program beforehand?

I used an old version of Adobe Illustrator, actually. It's a professional grade vector illustration program, but can also export in several CAD formats.

On Pripyat - I originally bought a few dark green foilage/underbrush and wanted to go with a slightly snowy themed STALKER looking city. Deep greens, snow, bleached grey rubble and so on but I wasn't sure how I would like the structures since I bothered to spend money on the resin. I want a some of the buildings to have a "Brighter warmer" look instead of Pripyat dead of winter.

Ah, STALKER. I've heard interesting things about those games. As for brighter/warmer; with the sand and red stone colours on your resin buildings (and metallic accents) I think you've definitely achieved that.

So whats the next step Rav?

Getting off my lazy ass and finding time to actually start painting all of these. :P
(I don't have a spray booth, and the weather's just a little too cold right now).
Previous

Return to Blogs and Tutorials