It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:43 am

Gadget's version of UCM alpine scheme

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

InspGadgt

Gadget's version of UCM alpine scheme

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 1:24 am

Hi all,

Now that I started painting my miniatures I figured it was more proper to post here instead of the thread where I was asking colors questions. It has been quite some time since I last painted miniatures and I didn't know a lot of the techniques I've read about back then either. So I decided I wanted to do a scheme I could airbrush which I have more experience with. Looking through the fluff the alpine scheme looked nice so I decided to give it a try. Initially I set about to copy the book art as close as possible, but after some paint choices that weren't quite right the scheme started to migrate into something more unique that I like very much. One idea I had was to use a grey and a white instead of just a white to give it some more color. So I went and picked up a bunch of paints to get started. I ended up with panzer olive, light grey, and dead white as the main colors. I sprayed a test pattern on a piece of paper and pleased with the results I set about to get started on my army. I sprayed my Albatross and liked the results so I did my Bear APCs next and clear coated them all to prepare for a black wash to bring out the panel lines.

The black wash came out a bit too dark at first as you can see on one of the Bear APCs. And it darkened the rest of the paint as well...but I find that I like this look better. Also the wash seemed to smooth out the color transitions nicely.

Got started on the rest of the army:

So that's how far along I've come. I still have 2 Archangels, 4 Ravens, 2 Longbows, 7 Condors, 2 Scimitars, and 2 Ferrums to airbrush and all the little details to paint on.

Ravager

Re: Gadget's version of UCM alpine scheme

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 2:31 am

Looking good so far.

If you need a good colour for wheels and tracks (remembering UCM and PHR tracks are rubberized steel mesh) then I heartily recommend Vallejo's Panzer Aces Dark Rubber, no mixing or anything needed. It's what I used on my UCM tracks, with a drybrush of the old GW Boltgun metal.

InspGadgt

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 3:07 am

Cool thanks for the suggestion. I actually haven't read the fluff yet so did not know that. I was just using black so far on the tires but only have half of 1 APC done so can switch up. Would the tires on the Bears be dry brushed as well or just black? I noticed in pics on the tank treads they were black with a dry brush to bring out the ridges in the tracks.

Ravager

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 4:13 am

InspGadgt wrote:Cool thanks for the suggestion. I actually haven't read the fluff yet so did not know that. I was just using black so far on the tires but only have half of 1 APC done so can switch up. Would the tires on the Bears be dry brushed as well or just black? I noticed in pics on the tank treads they were black with a dry brush to bring out the ridges in the tracks.

For the tyres on my Bears I used dark rubber, then a drybrush of light grey to represent caked on concrete dust. You don't have to drybrush tyres, but if you do, go a couple of shades lighter, but don't use metallics. (I imagine Bears and Wolverine to use something like this: http://www.hutchinsoninc.com/CMS/index. ... l_RunFlats)

You can go with black tyres and treads, no issue there, it's just a personal preference thing. I do think dark rubber would look better though, being a few shades above black, and you can always wash it if it's not dark enough for your tastes. ;)

InspGadgt

PostSun Apr 17, 2016 7:40 pm

Well I finally got around to painting some more. My army is about 3/4ths done with the base camo now. I still need to work on the detail parts like guns, tires, and tracks.

fiddlerboy

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 12:24 am

That looks quite nice!

InspGadgt

PostSun May 29, 2016 2:04 am

I now have my entire army camouflaged. Only the detail work like painting the guns, tracks, and tires are left to do.

Gauntlet

PostFri Jun 03, 2016 2:46 pm

This is a great start! I hope you make terrain to match!

InspGadgt

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 12:39 am

Got my Sabres finished...well except for the flat clear coat but that won't change how they look much so here they are:

InspGadgt

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 7:45 am

Katanas are finished

Next

Return to Blogs and Tutorials