It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:39 am

"The Struggle for Knossos"[PHR blog]

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Tristan

"The Struggle for Knossos"[PHR blog]

PostMon Mar 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Among the lost Cradle Worlds of mankind there were a few smaller planets, although as habitable as the lush planets that are now the center of the Reconquest, they were less desirable and thus bore the onslaught of the Scourge lighter than those around them.
Then again those planets never were much to begin with- small industrial drive-through planets meant to support the bigger cousins around them with labor,fuel and food. So it should not come as a surprise that a huge part of the population of those small planets chose the side of Abandonists at the crucial hour. One might deduct from this that even though the smaller planets escaped the full horror of the Scourge they had very little left to push on. But the will of men is not so easily undone and thus the men and women of those unfortunate planets took up arms and dug deep to strike out when the time comes.

Knossos
One of those planets mentioned is the forgotten Knossos. Situated relatively close (in space travel terms) between two Cradle Worlds it is under the watchful eye of the Scourge and UCM alike. The large network of space stations situated around the planet make it a valuable asset for both the defence and the Reconquest of the Cradle Worlds.
The UCM has been able to make contact with the rough survivors on the planet surface only to discover that those left there were left divided from the time of the Abandonists, for a lot of the inhabitants who meant to flee lacked the proper space traveling vessels and thus a bitter civil war has been waged on Knossos ever after.
Lacking larger oceans or even seas for that matter the UCM intelligence has discovered no Shaltari presence as of yet. Although after communicating with the Loyalist Resistance fighters they have heard of rumors of weird lights appearing in the middle of the night in distance and disappearing again in a few moments.
What is troubling the UCM high command in this sector the most is the wide presence of the PHR. They have been sighted and both sides of the resistance have been reporting heavy fighting with the Post-Human forces. Their presence is troubling and some commanders speculate, that the PHR might be looking for an old secret military base that might contain a very powerful weapon. Some even claim it might be connected to the omnious white sphere that created the PHR in the first place. Truth be told those are mere speculations, but one must wonder over the agenda of the PHR on Knossos. Only time will tell what is truly at stake on Knossos.

Hi everybody, I'm Tristan and this is the start of my DZC and when the time comes, also the DFC blog. Some of you might have allready seen my painted force thus far on my youtube channel but none the less I will post a written blog here with the story I have come up for the PHR.

Why PHR? I think what got me were the Neptune dropships- they look very slick and for some reason remind me of a Hammer-head shark. (Sharks are the poetry of nature- I like sharks quite a lot) That got me inspired. Also on the gaming side of things I liked the idea of an elite army. In other games I have a tendency to play horde or at least glass-hammer type of armies. So for a change of pace and feel I chose the PHR.

In the next post I will talk about my color scheme and why I chose it.

Cheers,
Tristan.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

Re: "The Struggle for Knossos"[PHR blog]

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 11:50 am

Hi Tristan and Welcome :D
Since I have already subscribed to your YouTube account - I know about the beauties that are about to show themselves here.

FYI - Hawk Simon just opened the new monthly competition thread for March 2016 and you should definitely post you army-pics there too.

Concerning your Intro - a very nice background story that fits beautifully for DzC and Dropfleet.

Playing Dropzone Commander is a lot of fun - but it can be even more fun when you are not only fighting nondescript battles, but for a specific world- even better when it is a world you created yourself.
I like to give each (real) battle I fight (not demo games) a little background and record the outcome. That way the background story grows with your experience.

Have fun!

;)
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 6:47 pm

Wonderful stuff!
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Tristan

PostSat Mar 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Although with a little delay I am back to continue the story.

Responses first:
Ljevid wrote:Hi Tristan and Welcome :D
[---]
Concerning your Intro - a very nice background story that fits beautifully for DzC and Dropfleet.

Playing Dropzone Commander is a lot of fun - but it can be even more fun when you are not only fighting nondescript battles, but for a specific world- even better when it is a world you created yourself.
I like to give each (real) battle I fight (not demo games) a little background and record the outcome. That way the background story grows with your experience.

Have fun!

Hi Ljevid, and thank you for the kind words. :) Yes, I agree with you about giving battles an extra flavor with the backround. And I do plan on expanding the story with the games I play and once DFC hits I'll take the story to space as well. ;)

SwordOfJustice wrote:Wonderful stuff!

Thank you for the kind words mate.

"Knossos might be a wasteland of a planet but do not mistake it for a desolate piece of rock. The red rocks poke out everywhere and the Blood mountains are visible even in the dark of the night. Even though the dust never gives you rest there is plenty of green to go around. You expect one giant plane desert but you will not find one- the forsaken towns and cities are sprinkled over the better part of the planets northern areas culminating with massive factories and spaceports. Some towns might even remind you of a place you'd like to take a vacation in- those are the most dangerous- do you really think that those small buildings in this rough desert weather would survive all those centuries? No- it is the presence of the locals. For now they do not pose a threat so do not focus on them. . ."

The Mayor stopped for a moment, looking at captain Roldo who was lighting a cigar only to smack the cigar out of his mouth. The young man had picked up the habit when he first became a Seraphim pilot.

"As I was saying, keep your eyes out for the big ass walkers of the bloody separatist. Whatever they have planned here- they have done it for some time. All of their vehicles are painted with camo and the dust storms that are constantly roaming aren't helping us either. So keep your eyes out for them and if you happen to see that big scorpion looking beast- do not hesitate. For they wont hesitate to shoot you down from the sky like a rock in a pond."

The gathered pilots chuckled at the mayors comment. Captain Roldo was taking out another cigar with his usual smug smirk: "So these traitor dogs, do they even have anti-air or better yet, can they even shoot?" His comment was greeted by laughter from his comrades. The mayor was still stern as usual.

"Roldo, do fish have lips?"

The young captain was dumbfounded and assuming it's a joke gave a chuckle: "Wait ... what?"

"Captain Roldo, I asked you- do fish have lips?"

Roldos comrades around him fell quiet as the mayors attention was solely on the young captain: "Well..yeah, I guess?"

"So while you are here puffing that brown piece of turd laughing away with your little pre-teen boyfriends hoping for some hair growth on your chin, our ground forces are pinned down there by the enemies massive energy weapons that turn the ground beneath you to glass. While you are here guessing whether fish have lips or not they are there praying for some air support. So I suggest you shut up and get to your bird you no-good piece of meat."

The cigar dropped from the captains fingers and for a moment the room was as silent as a grave. An orderly popped into the briefing room: "Mayor Wayne, they have spotted a Nemesis approaching the Svoil transmitting station. The Legion calls for air support."

As one can see I have gone with a desert camo for my PHR. Also painting up the canopies in a blue fashion to give a strong contrast to the mini. Overall a very simple paint scheme and take relatively fast to finish a unit. On the picture you can see my Nemesis command walker which I really enjoy fielding in any game. Also it makes perfect sense to use a Nemesis in a "desert" setting with an infinity range weapon- the same reason I field Hyperions as well.

Cheers,
Tristan.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 6:14 pm

At work and don't have time to read your stories but the models look amazing! Well done.

Tristan

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 8:39 pm

Cry of the Wind wrote:At work and don't have time to read your stories but the models look amazing! Well done.

Thank you mate. (:

Cheers,
Tristan.

Tristan

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 10:59 am

ARMY INTELLIGENCE REPORT:
FEB 9th, 2671AD

+++Classified Level 4 - Senate, Admirality and AHQ Officers Eyes Only+++

Our recon team [MF-R 106] that is stationed on Knossos, near the designated drop site DS-7 for a future invasion has made contact with a local resistance leader going by the name Oskar. The report leads us to believe that we may rely on their help when the operation to liberate Knossos begins.

While this information might be raising hope for Knossos the second part of the report is not so positive. The local resistance fighters had a direct conflict on FEB 6th against a PHR armored force. The resistance fighters were on a supply run when they ran into a heavy armored detachment of PHR units led by a Nemesis walker. Even with the support of two of our Archangel interceptors the resistance units had no other choice but to retreat from the fight. Whatever the PHR were looking for in that factory district they found and carried off in their Triton dropships.

I will task the recon team with finding more about the PHR presence at DS-7. Whatever they are looking for there is important enough to deploy a Nemesis walker. Oskar, leader of the reistance himself survived the conflict with his Alexander heavy tank taking a glancing hit crippling its weapon systems. The mechanics say that they can repair the systems but no sooner than a week. This led Oskar to reveal the darker side of him- a feral glare in his eyes vowing to engaging the PHR whenever possible. Clearly they have set their sight on the powerful Nemesis walker and whoever is in command of that force.

Along with my report I am also able to post a visual confirmation of the Nemesis.

Cheers,
Tristan.
Last edited by Tristan on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 5:20 pm

Had a chance to read it all. Good stuff, I like how you made your own background while keeping true to the existing lore. Fun way to write battle reports and keep a history of your engagements. Love the gif there too!

Tristan

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 9:35 am

Thanks mate. After reading the Reconquest phase 1 book I got really hooked by all the fluff. That's what made me do the theme. Also writing my own fluff allows for a bit of freedom in some aspects. :)

Yeah- did the gif to try out the effect. Thinking of doing a video battle report with effects and stuff.

Cheers,
Tristan.

snolb

Hawk Talon

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 2:09 pm

You need to do more of that GIF! :o
Official the worst player in Sweden!

Dedicated DzC Swedish Facebook group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/702576909788030/
Next

Return to Blogs and Tutorials