It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:50 pm

A Modified Resistance Army

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

comrade_J

A Modified Resistance Army

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 2:36 am

Hello all, I've recently gotten into DZC and decided on a Resistance Army. I'm fascinated by the currently running Middle East conflicts so the Resistance's insurgent, DIY nature appealed to me. Its pretty apparent that The Resistance is based inspired by improvised equipment from the various Syrian/Iraqi/Libyan conflicts, so I've decided to take that one step further with my army.

Probably my biggest decision is that I'm not using any actual battle bus models, and have instead used N-scale dump trucks, snow plows, and garbage trucks. I went this route because I've never seen a bus uparmored and used for combat IRL (for many good reasons) and I wanted something more plausible to me (I know, its a sci-fi game and there are aliens etc but roll with me on this). Thus I have used plasticard "armor" and several parts from the battle bus kit to create 4 "battle buses" with AA machine gun crews.

My inspiration for these were modified vehicles from the Syria/Iraq conflict -

Speaking of AA, I've used plasticard to create armored shields for my Gun Wagons to give them a more improvised look. I've only got two out of six done so far, but I was focused on completing the tanks before the finished the other gun wagons.

I also got a sheet of roofing tile polystyrene used for making model train scenery, and adapted it into Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) for my M9 Hannibals, inspired by the T-72s used by the SAA and the USMC M60s of Desert Storm. I figure that these armor kits may have been a local improvisation, or a prototype that never saw wide use.

Finally, my last improvisation is the extra armor for my M3 Alexander. One common Syrian modification for tanks is spaced armor - flat sheets of metal held on welded arms away from the turret in the hopes that it will defeat a HEAT round. This technology has been in use since the German Schürzen of WW2. I used 26 gauge wire from the floral department of my local craft store, and glued sections of it into strategically cut notches along the bottom of the turret. Then I bent the wire into a relatively uniform shape and glued sections of plasticard onto the wire, before bending the tops down to meet the turrets. Its not artful but hopefully from a distance it looks neat.

At this point, everything is now at least primed, so painting is up next :shock:
I'd also like to give a shoutout to piperider361 aka Scott, who got me into DZC when I was new random at my FLGS, and has provided vital advice and encouragement on this project.
Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

Re: A Modified Resistance Army

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 2:44 am

So fantastic, mate! Keep up the great work.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Amitverse

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 8:08 am

Those battle buses look great, it all looks great.

Tristan

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 10:39 am

Vow. Very nice indeed. I like that you've gone over all of the minis. Very unique and beautiful. Anything planned for the lifthawks?

Cheers,
Tristan.

Mike Mee

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 11:29 am

Very nice addition to the models dude, I may add extra armour to my second Alexander.

piperider361

Hawk Talon

PostTue Apr 19, 2016 10:54 pm

Now let's get them some games on the table!!

MajorMcNicol

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 1:43 am

Looking great! Love seeing these modifications. A friend did ERA in a similar fashion using textured plasticard - looking forward to seeing how you paint it all!
instagram.com/whateverimsealingit

Wargaming Plog: https://andygomez.wordpress.com/

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross.

LocalHoRst

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 6:57 am

Nice mods! Really sophisticated background. I love it.
Where did you get those n scale dump vehicles?
My personal painting blog: http://www.local-horst.com
My Google+ Community for Dropzone Commander: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117639337020334364837

L. Sabia Byrne

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 1:05 pm

Absolutely exceptional mate! Keep 'em comin!!! All you need now is sandbags on the tanks like the IDF kitted out all there tanks with for 1967! Great photos you've found as well.

Are all of your N scale vehicles white metal or plastic? Which manufacturer did you get them from? ;)

Cheers

Lee
You're going to need a MUCH bigger gun my friend!

http://brushesandbayonets.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.solarismedia.tv

comrade_J

PostWed Apr 20, 2016 7:39 pm

Glad to see such positive response! Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Tristan - Nothing planned for the Lifthawks, I'm pretty happy with how they look as is.

As for the vehicles, I picked them up from an online model train store creatively named "Model Train Stuff dot com". Most of them are from GHQ, with the big dump truck from another manufacturer which I've forgotten. They're all metal, but luckily my locktite gel super glue proved up to the task with assembly, I swear by the stuff now.
Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
Next

Return to Blogs and Tutorials