It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 1:22 am

Gauntlet's Corner

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Gauntlet

Gauntlet's Corner

PostMon May 09, 2016 12:57 am

Hey guys!

I decided it was time to actually properly track/write on my DZC projects! Woot!

A few things I've done before...

And what to expect next? A terrain project, combining and refining a few methods I've come up with. Basically, I'm going to make 12X12 wood tiles, attach half inch cork on top. Then, using plasticard with pave stones, build up sidewalk/building areas. The cork then becomes the ruined roads, (and I'll dig out craters and depressions).

I then plan on giving each tile four or so, "posts" and rubble piles, that maintain a 1 inch height. This then creates a 1" bubble underneath, where specific detailed terrain can be permanently affixed, such as ruined cars, mail boxes, etc. etc.

The rubble piles, will be shaped in such a way, that the city scape building cardstock fits over them. Thus, you simply lift the building off, and you immediately have your 1 inch vision blocking rubble.

Lets hope this works, but I have my doubts. The cork aspect for the road works great for craters, but I worry how it will look for the rest of the road (previously I used the ruinscape rile art). We will see!

Gauntlet

Re: Gauntlet's Corner

PostWed May 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Finished my Screamer! He had a great game where he destroyed one of my (a buddy was playing my Scourge) important Bear APCs, I have a bunch spare, so decided to award the Screamer with a cool base. There is a guy trying to escape the wreckage in front and a dead body slipping out in the rear (hard to see).

Archangelcondor

PostWed May 11, 2016 3:25 pm

WOW! Those are GREAT! good job. Wow. the screamer is massive...

Gauntlet

PostFri May 13, 2016 4:43 am

Thank you!

Okay, so the Terrain Project is underway.

First, we take cork board, attach to some wood/MDF boards, 12X12... this board isn't the right size, I'm just using it for the prototype...

Then I cut some plasticard to the right sizes and glue on top... carve out a crater in the road...

Then, I sprayed it black, then grey on the sidewalks, then a little white, more gray, some browns, and etc.

Then I glued on some spots of sand, more cork bits here and there, painted them tan with a brown inkwash, and then attached some dry bushes.

Finally, I add decorations, such as mail boxes/dumpsters/park benches/etc.

So what do people think? Its still missing a mechanic to allow panels to stack on top of one another without damaging details, but otherwise I'm quite happy with how its turning out!

fiddlerboy

PostThu May 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Can you use something more soft for the base than MDF? That would let you stack them safely. What about just thicker cork with no solid base?

Gauntlet

PostSun May 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Hrm. Sadly I don't think that will work. The MDF provides needed weight to keep the panels from shifting too much during play, and even thicker cork becomes prohibitively expensive.

I think I'm giving up on permanently attached micro-features (mailboxes/benches) to the panels and will make modular terrain that can be stored separately. Its not as cool, but it makes everything more practical.

I've started on some!

Step 1) Cut out plasticard.
Step 2) Attach adhesive backed flexible steel sheet to plasticard bottom (provides weight, steel sheet comes with magnetizing base kits all the time).

Step 3) Loose dirt/rubble decorate the new base.
Step 4) Prime Bases and Cars/etc. that one plans to attach.
Step 5) Attach Cars/Etc. to Bases.
Step 6) Paint!

Here are some WIP shots!

I also bought some Subway Station entrances from Game Craft Miniatures!
http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/10mm-su ... 10mcss260/

These are perfect for underground monorail entrance/exits. Assembly is easy, and detail is decent, I painted mine so that the top rail was either Bronze or Gold, so I have two of each so I can tell different monorail entrances, apart. After assembly I attached steel sheet to the bottom to add some weight, and fill the hole (where the staircase would be) so I could paint that black.

A few doodads added and I think they came out great!

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 23, 2016 1:22 pm

These are all great. I especially love those green glowing eyes on the Scourge Destroyers. :D
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Very nice indeed! :D
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Gauntlet

PostMon May 23, 2016 10:35 pm

Hey thanks guys!

I too love the green eye effect. I pretty much went with the typical scourge color scheme except I made the eyes green, and I go heavy on the purple, leaving only a few details in silver.

I regret doing the vent holes in gold/bronze with a wash. It would have been easier with just extra dark or discolored wash, or frankly my blue paint. Also the gold engines... think I just have a shit gold paint though.

Oh well!

Gauntlet

PostThu May 26, 2016 6:01 pm

Well the micro terrain bits continue to be worked on... as well as finished my 6 Stalkers, now on to their transports...

Next

Return to Blogs and Tutorials