It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:10 am

Al's Orange-Digi PHR

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Post_Human

Al's Orange-Digi PHR

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi all!

(Note – this scheme will require an airbrush set up.)

Before painting these models, give them a quick wash down with warm soapy water and use a fibre scouring pad (lightly) to key the armour panels to help the primer to stick. This step is particularly important in this scheme as you will be using self-adhesive stencils to spray over and the last thing you want is to get to the final layer of paint and peel it off down to the plastic. Trust me, I’ve done it.

Orange Colour – Paints required:
Ok, so a popular question I’m asked is my orange/yellow colour recipe. It’s actually more orange than it appears in photos, but this is down to the candied effect in the paint method as you’ll find later.
The paints I use are:
Vallejo Polyurethane Black Primer
Scale 75 Citrine Alchemy
P3 Cygnus Yellow
P3 Khador Red Highlight

Windsor & Newton Matt Medium
Windsor & Newton Flow Improver

Similar colours of other brands can be used – but I’ll leave that to your experimentation.

If you want to go the whole hog with the hex scheme, you’ll also need these:
http://www.anarchymodels.co.uk/hd33---mini-hex-grid-31-p.asp

Step 1 – Priming.
Thin down the Polyurethane Primer 50:50 with the flow improver. Coat models with 2 thin coats and leave to dry. The dry finish should end up quite matt. If it’s glossy or satin, leave it to dry further. If it’s still the same after hours of drying, recheck your mixture and add a drop of matt medium – the Scale 75 Citrine needs a flat colour to bind to or it will tend to “bead” like water on plastic.

Step 2 – Layer 1 of stencils.
Time to get creative with those stencils – apply as you see fit.

Step 3 – Basecoat Citrine Alchemy.
If you got the primer right with a nice matt finish, this step becomes a lot easier. Apply 2-3 fine coats of Scale 75 Citrine Alchemy on the armour panels. The colour will change with the more layers you apply, turning slowly from a blue-ish silver to a yellow-ish silver. 2-3 solid, fine coats should be enough to turn it to the yellow-silver, the colour you want. Allow coats to dry for around 15 minutes between coats, depending on ambient temperatures.
After the final coat, give the basecoat a solid hour to dry. A hair dryer can be used to speed up the process, but make sure to let the models cool down fully before applying the next step.

Step 4 – Layer 2 of stencils.
Time to get creative again! Personally, I like to overlay some stencils to make sure I get the black/silver next to each other rather than having 2 separate blocks of hex.

Step 5 – Final Coat Orange.
Now, this final colour is purely down to your own personal preference. I use a 5:3 mix Khador Red Highlight : Cygnus Yellow mix. This gives a nice bold orange to the naked eye.
Thin the mix with 25% flow improver and add a few drops of matt medium. Apply 2-3 coats, or more depending on preference.

Once the paint is fully dry (ideally leave over night to cure) gently peel off the stencils to reveal your scheme. To protect the paint, I use 2 coats of Testors Dullcote matt varnish.

Good luck and enjoy!

Return to Blogs and Tutorials