It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:43 am

Yet another table building blog..

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Defaint_2k

Yet another table building blog..

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 7:43 am

It took me years to get my mates to play dzc. Now they love it and invested heavily into the game which was a signal for me to start with an awesome table project.

I am going to share my progress with you for your and my enjoyment.

As always I am open for new ideas and suggestions as I hope to inspire other people to build their owen awsome table.

Without any further blabla here some pictures:

First I got me some cork bases 30cmx30cm and 0,5 cm thick. You need 16 of them for a nearly 48x48 inch table. If you can get thicker ones take them. As I worked on mine they started to bend in one direction as I used wood glue to fix the streets on them. I think 1cm thick ones should do the trick.

I tried to get them back in shape I glued a sheet of paper on the other side an put a couple of heavy books on the tile for 2 days . That worked but is a time consuming process.

After gluing the streets onto the cork I used two sided adhesive duct tape to fix the green styrodur on it. (The green stuff is sound dampening material for the ground.2,2 mm thick)

Then I used the marked lines to cut the squares into it.

Paint,weathering powder scenic ready!

stevefamine

Re: Yet another table building blog..

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 3:00 pm

Wonderful work! The last picture makes the table look like a picture in the rulebook!

Economy table as well - and it seems light and sturdy and especially cheap. I can see you dumped a lot of effort into making the table sharp. I now should have went with cork now that I think about it.

What are you doing for the buildings? Resin/MDF/Foamcore?

Nodri

PostSun Oct 30, 2016 1:05 pm

There's no such thing as "yet another" table / terrain thread. :D

I really like the way you've essentially brought the existing terrain sets to life by adding depth. This table is proof that craftsmanship beats cost any day. What you've done with very simple materials is impressive.

For future reference, water-based glues (wood, PVA, etc.) will always curl thin, flat pieces. It's because the glue shrinks considerably when the water evaporates. The effect is strong enough that it can curl 1/2" plywood. If you want something to stay flat, use Liquid Nails or other non-shrinking construction adhesive. It's cheap and can be found in any hardware store.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more.
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Defaint_2k

PostMon Oct 31, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks guys. I did cut the streets out of the 2 player starterbox and printed some out. And thanks for the tipp with the glue. I need to find out how they are called in Germany . As for the Buildings i had plan of pimping up the cardboard Buildings. I would have hardenend the inner structure with cardboard and would have done battle damage to them. I even build a protoype which i am going to post here this evening. But lastly i decided against it. I am going to change the paper buildings one by one with hawk and other manifacture buildings. It is a project for a year, but it would look far better. and i will build scourgyfied buildings

Defaint_2k

PostMon Oct 31, 2016 9:02 am

As i googled for liquid nails, I found about 8 different types of it. Which one would you recommend?

Defaint_2k

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 1:01 am

Defaint_2k

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 1:03 am

Here is a sample of the buildings but since i decided to buy 3d stuff i won t work on them anymore.

stevefamine

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Defaint_2k wrote:Here is a sample of the buildings but since i decided to buy 3d stuff i won t work on them anymore.

My thought process was similar

1) I want to make a nice table
2) I spent two hours backing a test building I didn't even punch out the windows for with foamcore
3) Now I added debris, pipes, and sand - and I can't prime it since I want the printed image
4) I'll buy buildings feth this

STILL paint it up, I have 4 of these buildings so I can bulk up my table to 18 structures

It looks great so far! I'd recommend MDF structures if you're not trying to burn money on HWG's gorgeous resin (that I then literally blew holes in)- there are tons of companies out there that make great products. The Blotz buildings aren't durable enough for a FLGS setting but fine at home and ship from the UK. 4grounds seems to be the popular choice on this forum.

Defaint_2k

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Has been a while. It is not finished but you can see where it is leading.

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 5:28 am

Very nice :D
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...
Next

Return to Blogs and Tutorials