It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:50 pm

Mr Mee's DFC models

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Mike Mee

Mr Mee's DFC models

PostFri Nov 04, 2016 11:36 pm

Hello one and all, again ;)

Something slightly different then the usual, as this time around it's going to be Dropfleet models rather than Dropzone. As per my Resistance army, with Gary and Martins guidance I will be painting the models in the official scheme, so a million dots and lines every where for me :cry:

So in-between working and normal life I will get some up dates and wips in, until next time.

Have a good'un.
Last edited by Mike Mee on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Mee

Re: Mr Mee's DFC Shaltari

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Ok, so I'm back. Got some time off work to show the first stage of the Shaltari.

Nothing special, the first stage is exactly like the studio DZC Shaltari, assemble model, spray model Tamiya fine white spray then spray the f***er yellow!

Model Air medium yellow to be exact. It's important if you are airbrushing to do it in several thin coats to get a nice consistent yellow all over the model. You may see in the next step that you don't need to spray the entire model yellow, but I think it will help getting correct coverage down first before applying any other colours.

Going to be doing magnets and building models tonight as I don't have the other colours yet, I'll get another update soon.

(for the keen eyed, I need to fill that gap)

Abrusio

PostTue Nov 08, 2016 7:03 pm

Yellow. Bold choice, I wish you luck ! :)

Mike Mee

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 3:40 am

Abrusio wrote:Yellow. Bold choice, I wish you luck ! :)

Cheers dude, I've been a bit more productive tonight.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 9:38 pm

Yes, they are YELLOW!

:P

Looking forward to seeing more... :)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Mike Mee

PostThu Nov 10, 2016 11:03 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:Yes, they are YELLOW!

What you mean more, that's it now.

Mike Mee

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 2:08 am

Mike Mee wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:Yes, they are YELLOW!

What you mean more, that's it now.

NOT!!!!!

So I got my paints tonight, plus loads that I didn't need. I swear I have bought 14 new paints in the space of a week and a half(I'm turning into Martin) Anyway, next is the other airbrush stages, as I mentioned before you need to have your yellow base coat nice and solid. Now as I have just found out, you need to take great care applying the coat of red spray over the model. It is so much easier applying red over yellow than the other way around, as I found out to my own cost.

With Gary's advice, here is the general jist of these stages and paints used.

Yellow model - red fade half way - pure red rear quarter - brown tip on the tails

STAGE ONE

The first stage is a light airbrush of Ferrari red over the rear half of the ship in question, in this case, a frigate of some random class ;) the aim of this stage is to try and get a gradual fade between yellow and red, the aim is to have a nice looking orange between the red and yellow.

STAGE TWO

So that nice orange fade I was talking about, well no one is perfect ;) but this is the best I could manage without being an airbrush wizard like Gary. Saying that, I'm happy with my first try which I will perfect over more models. I actually made a few touch ups on this model with some of the yellow.

STAGE THREE

The final airbrush stage is a dark brown, I will provide the colours at the end, on the tips of the ships. I went a bit over zealous on this stage and I'll be cutting back on it a bit on the next model.

And the paints with the models, regarding the red, you have a choice of colours to use. Either the red I went for Ferrari red or Fiery red I think it's called. Gary said it's personal choice with these, I chose the Ferrari red as it was a warmer shade of red.

Hope you found this helpful and not a massed jumble of words, next stage coming up soon.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 2:14 am

Awesome. Thanks! Looking forward to the next stage...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

BlackLegion

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 11:18 am

Nice graduation :) But a bit to yellow at the nose. Looks like Germans in space :D

Mike Mee

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 4:49 pm

BlackLegion wrote:Nice graduation :) But a bit to yellow at the nose. Looks like Germans in space :D

SPASE GERMANS!!!!
Next

Return to Blogs and Tutorials