Mr Mee's DFC models

Threads for all your painting and modelling blogs as well as hobby tutorials
  • Author

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

Re: Mr Mee's DFC Shaltari

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 8:30 pm

Yay... Space Germans!!!

My Shaltari troops and you fleet should work together :)

http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/hawkforum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3756&start=30

Let's just say I'm a big fan :D
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Mike Mee

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 3:20 am

Ljevid wrote:Yay... Space Germans!!!

My Shaltari troops and you fleet should work together :)

http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/hawkforum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3756&start=30

Let's just say I'm a big fan :D

Lol, we are nice and bright aren't we :-) Tbh, I am very impressed with the community that we have here. The vast majority of members who post on here paint their own gear and I have a lot of respect for that. But it's also nice that I have one or two fans :-)

So, the next step is the wash stage, oh boy did I cock this up ;)

What you see here is an example of how strong the Carroburg Crimson wash is. Now I will add a bit of context to the picture, the lighter ship on the right, is washed with a 50/50 Carroberg medium mix, this is way darker than the studio models that Gary and Martin painted. My first attempt with out Gary advice was Carroburg straight! Needless to say that was a full repaint :oops:

Garys guidance, was that you use Carroburg Crimson thinned down and paint two coats over the models, which the one on the left is, but I didn't thin down my Crimson enough and it's way too dark. This shows how heavy the pigment in this wash actually is!

So next time around, I will be using a much thinner wash of Carroberg to medium, maybe around 75% medium because it's always easier to add on then take away. These ships however will stay as they are, the lighter ship has had an extra wash to bring it inline with its sister ship.

Did someone say learning curve :lol:

Mike Mee

PostSat Dec 03, 2016 1:40 am

Hello again all,

It's been a while but I have finally had some time to put more paint on my Shaltari Frigates. Painting all the dots this time, I feel I may have missed a few details but I can add them as I go. Also I feel my green lights and gems the base layer is too bright, I used Warpstone Glow and I will be using a darker green next time around maybe.

As for colours here they are.

Metallic parts - Model Air Chrome - Nuln Oil wash

Blue lights - Caledor Blue base - Deep Sky Blue highlight
Green Lights - Warpstone Glow base - Moot Green highlight

Large Gem - Warpstone Glow base - Moot Green airbrush highlight - White dots

This part of the model is very time consuming but necessary as it adds lots of different colour to the models. Next and final step is going to be the yellow highlights, which will be ever more time consuming :-( But necessary ;)

If you would rather drybrush the highlights onto the ships, you will want to do this before you start painting the lights.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Dec 03, 2016 9:00 am

I think it's lovely, sir! Well done!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Mike Mee

PostSun Dec 04, 2016 7:37 am

J.D. Welch wrote:I think it's lovely, sir! Well done!

Cheers dude, this is my first project in a long time where I am really self critical. With the Resistance the scheme really clicked with me and I barely did any self analysing on that project. The shaltari however a lot of the process has been a big learning curve and I have had to look what I have done and make improvements where possible.

Here's to hoping the next model is stupendous 8-) It'll be a cruiser next, most likely the basic one that I have built. My other three are a mothership, and three heavy cruisers for ALL THE GUNS!!!!!!!

Mike Mee

PostFri Dec 09, 2016 1:31 am

Got some paint onto my Heavy Cruisers over the past few days, nothing new here really, just copying the scheme that I did on the Frigates. The only change I have made is used a Caliban Green on the middle gems as Moot green was too bright and took more coats than Caliban Green. Here they are :-)

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Dec 09, 2016 6:20 am

Two Obsidians???... :shock:

You're a baaaad man! :twisted:

(But they're looking rather nice!) :D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Mike Mee

PostFri Dec 09, 2016 11:23 pm

J.D. Welch wrote:Two Obsidians???... :shock:

I think I have a problem, I have a third on the way and another Battle Cruiser. That's three Obsidians and two of the Adamant's :(

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 8:39 am

Mike Mee wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:Two Obsidians???... :shock:

I think I have a problem, I have a third on the way and another Battle Cruiser. That's three Obsidians and two of the Adamant's :(

:o :shock:

Stop beating around the bush -- just get a Diamond battleship already! :P

Mike Mee

Re: Mr Mee's DFC models

PostThu Dec 15, 2016 5:33 am

Hello all again, got myself a Avalon Battle Cruiser from a very generous man indeed for a fair price. So why not start a second fleet, MOAR TOYZZZ!!!

So I built the starter with a few changes, the Avalon being the more noticeable, but I also made some of the Taipei Frigates as they are supposed to be good, plus I think I have enough rail gun weapons to last me a while now :-)

The only thing that I can't decide is weather to bug Gary for the official scheme, or make my own scheme. I must admit, I can't think of any colours besides Grey ships as they are human ships. Not sure my Shaltari blue/purple fade would work on them ;-)
Previous

Return to Blogs and Tutorials